Will there be a time when PCs will have a MSFT semi-lock?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
sampoodle
Level 2
Level 2

Will there be a time when PCs will have a MSFT semi-lock?

Post by sampoodle »

A naive question, maybe way off base: Will there be a time when mainstream consumer PCs will be semi-locked into a hard-coded MSFT-only mode?

Every incremental evolutionary step seem to head that way, with available workarounds, but will it stay that way?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Will there be a time when PCs will have a MSFT semi-lock?

Post by MurphCID »

Seems that way, I tried to update the wife's old laptop to Windows 11, when I did so, I did not allow a Microsoft account, and my wifi was totally disabled, and nothing I or a friend (who is a techie) could do could get it unfarked. So I tried to install Mint, and it failed, it would start to boot, and then just hang forever. I undid TPM, Secure boot, etc, same thing. So I managed to get POP!_OS installed, I will try Mint again. I then tried to re-install Windows 10 Pro, and it refused to allow it to install. It wanted Windows 11, so there is some "key" or code that got installed on this Ryzen 5700U HP laptop that is preventing a lot of stuff from running.
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:53 pm I tried to update the wife's old laptop to Windows 11, when I did so, I did not allow a Microsoft account, and my wifi was totally disabled, and nothing I or a friend (who is a techie) could do could get it unfarked.
Microsoft made Windows 11 to be installed only with a Microsoft account and no local account.

But if you are implying your wife's laptop is running Windows 10 with a local account and the motherboard has TPM 2.0 on it, if she wants Windows 11 with a local account and not a Microsoft account, there is a way to get that local account and not have a Microsoft account in the end.

The work around is legal too. No code hacking involved either. I've tried this on two HP tower computers and one Dell laptop, all running with Windows 10 at the time and TPM 2.0 on their motherboards. The laptop's wifi worked too. All had and still have their local accounts now running with Windows 11.

Also, these three Windows 11computers are still getting their software and security updates every Patch Tuesday. If this is the case, send me a private message and I will send you back a private reply with the work around.

The reason I cannot leave a public message. Many people will see the work around on here with MS eventually hearing about it and MS will quickly realize it left the front door "wide open". Then MS will disable the work around which closes the front door.

EDIT: Bad news. MS found the work around and closed the front door on Jan 3, 2024.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I tried the hack and it seemed to work the disaster. Oh well, now I have a new Linux laptop, so it is not a total loss.

Return to “Open Chat”