ntfsresize -b doesn't work

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thisisnowtaken
Level 1
Level 1

ntfsresize -b doesn't work

Post by thisisnowtaken »

Hi!
I have a dual-boot installation (Linux Mint and Windows 10), and also an external 1.5TB SSD that can be hooked up with a USB cable. Now, recently, I wanted to split my SSD into two partitions, by shrinking the existing NTFS one.
However, the pre-installed Linux Mint tool crashed (with no error), as well as GParted. Surprisingly, the files still survived (Or at least the few that I tested), but I still got scared, booted into Windows and ran chkdsk through cmd. That however had an ETA for 200 something hours, and I didn't want to wait that long. So I aborted and instead ran chkdsk through explorer (right clicked the drive, clicked properties, then tools, and then "check for errors" (Translated into English, might not be the exact same labels)). That didn't took that long and reported that it had fixed some errors.
So, I went to finally shrink my partition in Windows, but no. There's some immovable files in the way and I can shrink it only by 4GB. Okay, Google said I should defragment the SSD. That took all night and when I woke up, it was back at 0%. Windows still only allowed to shrink by 4GB.
Okay, but Linux surely doesn't care about some Windows files. So, back into Linux, I ran sudo ntfsresize -s 950G /dev/sda1. Nope, "The disk has bad sectors". But Google says that's normal for an SSD. So, let's run ntfsresize with the -b argument. At 3 am in the night then, I got the following output, after which I went to sleep.

WHAT? I said to not care about bad sectors! Why do you still abort when there are bad sectors?!
I'm really confused now. I never really worked all that much with hard drives except the occasional formatting, so I have no idea what's going on here. Also I have now spent like three nights listening to the fan of my laptop going nuts for the whole night, only to wake up to "aborted" or "0%".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: ntfsresize -b doesn't work

Post by Pjotr »

Looks like a dying disk. This usually goes from bad to worse in a short time.

Rescue your important data onto another disk, destroy the failing disk with a hammer (privacy!) and throw it away.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
thisisnowtaken
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thisisnowtaken »

Pjotr wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:23 pm Looks like a dying disk. This usually goes from bad to worse in a short time.

Rescue your important data onto another disk, destroy the failing disk with a hammer (privacy!) and throw it away.
Oh, that's not good. What exactly makes you think that? Is there any way to verify that with some software? Because prior to trying to do these partition shenanigans it seemed to be working fine.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

thisisnowtaken wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:47 pm
Pjotr wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:23 pm Looks like a dying disk. This usually goes from bad to worse in a short time.

Oh, that's not good. What exactly makes you think that?
The "bad sector" warning. That means physical damage....
thisisnowtaken wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:47 pm Is there any way to verify that with some software?
This may work:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... s.html#ID1
(item 1)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Storage”