How Can I Make Mint Xfce More Touch Friendly?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DeMoN100
Level 1
Level 1

How Can I Make Mint Xfce More Touch Friendly?

Post by DeMoN100 »

Hello there,

I just installed the latest xfce & ran all the updates available trying it out first timer. Fresh I have to say I've encountered issues with scrolling. On the start menu you can't swipe to scroll having to click on the scrollbar to go down would be fine if it wasn't so thin. Scrolling is one the next is not having an on screen keyboard at the start. I found the onboard app to start up one & that is a very tiny keyboard which really isn't sufficing for the display.
I hope a future version of xfce will be more touchscreen friendly it really brings me down to have these issues. Is there a way I can make these more touch friendly?
Last edited by SMG on Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Beginner Questions to Desktop: Xfce because the questions are specfiic to Xfce.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: How Can I Make Mint Xfce More Touch Friendly?

Post by spamegg »

Welcome to the Forum.

Not really, Xfce is not designed to be a touch-oriented desktop environment.
So a lot of stuff will be too small to touch / finger.
It's also one of the oldest / less actively developed desktop environments.
So it doesn't get the latest trends / "sexy" or popular features.
I'm not surprised you ran into these issues.
You should use a different OS, like Ubuntu Touch, that's made for touch screens.
Or use either Gnome or Plasma, as they are the two most popular and actively developed desktop environments with better touch support.
Otherwise you'll be fighting against the OS a lot.
michael-hi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by michael-hi »

Hello DeMoN100

I should start by saying I don't have a touchscreen so I can't test anything out. Plus you don't say whether you also have an ordinary keyboard and mouse. Anyway, I think it should be possible to improve things to some extent.

Regarding the Onboard app: if you can attach a mouse, then it would be simple to click on any edge or corner of the onscreen keyboard and, by dragging, resize it to be as large as you want. To move it wherever you want, hold down the Alt key (on a physical keyboard) and drag with the mouse.

If you don't have a mouse, see what happens if you hold the Move symbol (4 way arrow) near the top-right of the Onscreen keyboard. You should be able to use that to drag the keyboard up, down or sideways. Also, after holding the key for a second or two, resize symbols should appear on the edges of the keyboard to enable you to resize it manually.

If you manage to get the Onscreen keyboard looking how you want it, then go to Session and Startup in the Settings section of the Whisker menu (start menu). On the Application Autostart tab, find Onboard (near the bottom probably) and put a tick in the box so that Onboard starts automatically each time you login. It's also worth right-clicking on the Onboard icon which appears in the panel and taking a look at the app's Preferences and Help.

You can also adjust the Whisker menu by right-clicking on its panel icon and selecting Properties. There you can adjust the size of the icons in the menu and also perhaps change "Show as list" to "Show as icons" if you think that would make them easier to tap. You can also adjust the height and width of the Whisker menu itself by clicking the edges with a mouse and dragging (although I believe in the very latest versions of the Whisker menu this ability has been replaced by a setting where you have to enter the number of pixels for height and width).

To increase the width of the scrollbar (in most apps including the Whisker menu) just add the following text to a file within your home folder at ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css (Create this file if it does not already exist, and note that files/folders beginning with a dot are "hidden" so you need to select "Show Hidden Files" in the file manager to see them.)

Code: Select all

/* Set thickness of scrollbars */
scrollbar.vertical slider {
    min-width: 15px;
}
scrollbar.horizontal slider {
    min-height: 15px;
}
Obviously, adjust the number of pixels to suit.

I don't know if touchscreens also suffer from Xfce's default "overlay scrollbars", which causes scrollbars to shrink or disappear when the mouse is not over them. If so, you can change this by creating another file in your home folder at ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini and placing this text at the very top:

Code: Select all

[Settings]
gtk-overlay-scrolling = false
After creating these files, you may need to log out and back in again to see the effect. I hope this helps.
DeMoN100
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DeMoN100 »

Hello Michael.

To answer your question yes I have the attachable keyboard with touchpad mouse. Regarding the onboard app yes I know you can click on the right edge to adjust it's width & height but that does not fix the problem making it bigger. It overlaps windows & can overlap your taskbar requiring you to manually close it & reopen it when you need it. A virtual keyboard shouldn't work like that it should be more intuitive & naturally feeling like the virtual keyboard built into windows.

I will follow your suggestion to adjust the scrollbars since that is my big issue & yes xfce does have it that the scrollbar disappears when your not clicking over there so that will help keep it visible. I will get back to you & let you know how these changes work. I hope I can figure something out with the virtual keyboard I saw something called Florence but I don't understand how to install them. I even saw another one called Maliit Virtual Keyboard I installed it but nothing happened.
diam0ndkiller
Level 2
Level 2

Post by diam0ndkiller »

Hey there,
I'm using XFCE with a touchscreen / touchpad. To make it more usable, my biggest recommendation is https://github.com/JoseExposito/touchegg. It's a universal multitouch gesture tool and I've loved to use it since i have it. It is very customizable and makes it possible to e.g. switch windows, desktops or do almost anything on touchscreen OR touchpad. I would also recommend to put Firefox (if you use it) into the "Touch" Density in "Customize Toolbar". If you want to, you can use the HDPI window manager theme and look online for a more touch friendly widget (GTK) theme.
Also, I almost forgot, LM pre-installs Onboard, which is a great on-screen keyboard. Open it from the menu, and set it to auto-start with the system and to auto-show when editing text. Works perfectly for me.
One extra tip I have is to put Thunar (the file manager) into "Behaviour > Single Click activates Items" mode.
Hope that helps.
P.S.: You can resize the Onboard keyboard by holding the "move" icon on the keyboard
Linux Mint Xfce 21 | CalyxOS 5.4.1 | Raspberry Pi OS 11

Return to “Xfce”