Damn Small Linux came back!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Damn Small Linux came back!

Post by spamegg »

It used to be 50MB more than a decade ago.
Now it's 700MB to fit onto a CD so it can be booted on old (32-bit) computers without DVD/USB.
Still pretty cool though!
https://www.damnsmalllinux.org/2024-download.html
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Damn Small Linux came back!

Post by Hoser Rob »

Cool. Browsers are still going to be a problem. I see it comes with the Dillo browser. I've tried that in Antix on my old netbook (which isn't getting so much use any more). To be honest Dillo is a paragon of uselessness unless all you want to do with it is read WIkipedia.

SeaMonkey is a better but you still can't use Facebook with it. Or many other social media sites. That's going to make it a deal breaker for most users. It was getting frustrating at this point.

I ended up just using FIrefox ESR as usual. But on the sort of hardware DSL is meant for, you won't be able to scroll down very far in FB without going into swap hell.

Still worth a shot for some but it's still alpha so you may want to wait a bit.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

spamegg wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:47 pm It used to be 50MB more than a decade ago.
Now it's 700MB to fit onto a CD so it can be booted on old (32-bit) computers without DVD/USB.
Nice! I used to love to play with it. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Looked DSL up on Distrowatch and it's Antix based now. It's probably just the antix-core iso (a bit over 500Mb) with a couple of WMs added basically.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Germ
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Germ »

I still want to try it when they have an official release, just for nostalgia's sake.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

I think I still may have a copy floating around somewhere at work. IIRC, pretty impressive to fit a complete OS + that many apps in such a tiny space

i recall the 50MB limit was to make it fit onto those credit-card sized mini cd's

Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Jeez, I just saw one of those mini CDs yesterday. Not Linux related.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

spamegg wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:47 pm It used to be 50MB more than a decade ago.
Yep I still keep those files. Now the dsl/bloated_edition
It's cool for what it is though
Who knows, with evolving technology--Ubuntu may some day be remembered as a dsl :wink:
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

I'm sure John would be happy to have a few more testers on board! I appreciate the project being revived even if 50MB is a bit unrealistic these days; I have used that in the past to sort out partitions etc. on low-RAM machines.

Forum is a bit quiet, but that's to be expected for what's really a niche project which has only recently come back to life.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Chat about Linux”