[SOLVED] How to delete default printer?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jave
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] How to delete default printer?

Post by jave »

Hi all

Here's an interesting one for you.

Recently I purchased a 2nd hand Brother MFC-J5845DW printer.

Printer works well, but, if I let Mint install the default printer driver - it doesn't work after the first print. I leave the printer on and it goes into standby mode. When I try to print again later, nothing.

Here are the settings of the default printer driver that doesn't work after printer is on standby. See below.
picture sharing img

So, I installed it as a proper network printer - manually. See below.

This works. My question is, how do I delete the printer details that Mint makes automagically? Do I just set my manual network setup printer as "Default" and leave it at that?
Last edited by jave on Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BillyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to delete default printer?

Post by BillyLinux »

The simple answer is yes; you set whichever printer you like as your default printer.

Clearly, both printers are on a network. I notice the one you added you decided to call ir with a CUPS prefix which is fine; you can name your printer anything you want. But the printer LM added is the true driverless printer.

Whenever the printer is switched on, it becomes visible to the network and so LM discovers it but as you have discovered it does not always configure it as best as possible. It will always do this.

Take a look at this post if you wish to disable auto discovery.
viewtopic.php?t=324132

A word of warning though. If you ever get a new printer, it will not be auto discovered and you will need to remember why. :)
I am just one of the volunteers for a UK charity https://abilitynet.org.uk/
who provides free IT support to older people and disabled people of any age, anywhere in the UK.
jave
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to delete default printer?

Post by jave »

Thanks Billy

I have decided not to disable auto discovery, because of future issues with another printer, as you said.

So I've set the network addressed printer as default and everything works as it should.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”