emails

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

emails

Post by TaterChip »

I guess I am probably looking for a unicorn... but here it goes.

Several years ago I learned a very valuable lesson. My email addresses are linked to my business URL (myemail@mybusiness.com) and switched hosting companies. ALL the emails in Thunderbird vanished in a blink of an eye when the DNS propagated to the new hosting company. I about wet myself. I later learned it was because because of the IMAP protocol.

I like the fact that with POP3 it doesn't matter what the server does, the emails in Thunderbird don't disappear until I delete them. What I don't like about POP3 is even if I delete in Thunderbird they still remain on the server... building up over time.

My current hosting company just doesn't work for me anymore and in the next couple of months I will be switching hosts again, and I don't want to lose my emails again.

Is there a way to make IMAP deletions a one way street in thunderbird?
for those running POP3 how do you manage the server side?
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: emails

Post by SMG »

TaterChip wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:07 pm I guess I am probably looking for a unicorn... but here it goes.

Several years ago I learned a very valuable lesson. My email addresses are linked to my business URL (myemail@mybusiness.com) and switched hosting companies. ALL the emails in Thunderbird vanished in a blink of an eye when the DNS propagated to the new hosting company. I about wet myself. I later learned it was because because of the IMAP protocol.
I use IMAP and I've changed hosting companies and not lost emails. However, for any emails I want to save, I move them to Local Folders in Thunderbird. I have a directory structure for all the emails I keep. However, that also means it is my responsibility to make backups of Local Folders.
TaterChip wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:07 pmI like the fact that with POP3 it doesn't matter what the server does, the emails in Thunderbird don't disappear until I delete them. What I don't like about POP3 is even if I delete in Thunderbird they still remain on the server... building up over time.
POP3 works in that you pull emails down from the server to your local client (Thunderbird). They are no longer on the server after you download them. However I see in IMAP vs. POP3: What's the Difference? Which One Should You Use? that some servers give you the option to save on the server with POP3? Maybe that is what you have.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

SMG wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:11 pm I use IMAP and I've changed hosting companies and not lost emails. However, for any emails I want to save, I move them to Local Folders in Thunderbird. I have a directory structure for all the emails I keep. However, that also means it is my responsibility to make backups of Local Folders.
Thanks I'll look into the local folder option. Every couple of days I back up my /home directory. I may have to make that a little more often so I dont lose emails.
POP3 works in that you pull emails down from the server to your local client (Thunderbird). They are no longer on the server after you download them. However I see in IMAP vs. POP3: What's the Difference? Which One Should You Use? that some servers give you the option to save on the server with POP3? Maybe that is what you have.
That's what I was thinking. I had thunderbird and mail server side by side on the screen. I created a new POP3 account in thunderbird and the emails remained on the server. If I deleted the test email in thunderbird, it disappeared on the server screen.

It sounds like learning to use the local folders might be the best of both worlds.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

I use pop3, my mails are hosted on a pay server, and I have my own domain name.
When I connect to the server with my smartphone, I let the mails on the server.
When I connect with my computer, I download all the mails from the reception box and I don't let a copy.

So, all my mails are stored on my computer, and regularly backed up.

Regards.

MN
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

TaterChip wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:08 pm I created a new POP3 account in thunderbird and the emails remained on the server. If I deleted the test email in thunderbird, it disappeared on the server screen.
It's worth checking the server settings for the account in Thunderbird. Mails can be autodeleted from the server when you delete them from Thunderbird, or not, depending on settings.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Open Chat”