Valheim Unity OS version files difference

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sethbarcello
Level 1
Level 1

Valheim Unity OS version files difference

Post by sethbarcello »

When trying out different settings for steam compatibility and the game's own compatibility settings, I noticed different combinations would cause it to download either linux version files or windows version files. I assume the ones for linux would be better to not require proton, but even if I leave my selections alone on mint with linux version files, on the next launch, it will replace them with windows versions. I assume this is because I switch between using windows and mint, so maybe my settings are different on each client and won't sync and that may be the cause. Does anyone else dual boot? Even if not, do you run the windows version with proton or the linux version?
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Valheim Unity OS version files difference

Post by 1000 »

My friend probably noticed this a long time ago.
The games have different settings for both systems.
If the game is not native, then Steam needs to download a configured Wine + probably Proton environment for this game.
Without this settings / env... the game will not work on Linux.

Just running native game , on two different systems Linux and W...
I don't know if it's possible.
In theory no, but in practice it may be possible, for example on a virtual machine.

However, you can share the same game for multiple Linux distributions,
if you configure Steam appropriately and grant permissions to the Steam library.

Edited:
Advice: Only play on one of the systems.
Then Steam won't have to constantly update settings for each game.

Return to “Gaming”