Return the normal work-oriented taskbar.

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
4andrisbriedis
Level 1
Level 1

Return the normal work-oriented taskbar.

Post by 4andrisbriedis »

Bring back a normal work oriented taskbar!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I don't need that pile of apple designer drug trip buttons. Why does everyone think that everything apple does is 100% correct and should be adopted? Can't think for yourself anymore?

I didn't leave Mint 20 for a long time because of two things. Change the color of the top row of windows due to the possibility, because it is useful. And because of the normal windowsXP/ex Mint taskbar.

Beautiful pods with shadows and stripes are needed by those who make "beautiful" videos for "You" tube.

For normal work, it is necessary that the application buttons placed in the taskbar are always in the same place. For quick access in one place. Not wider. Not narrower. Always the same.
And Open applications separately. With inscriptions. And arranged in the order I need - as I need to work productively, instead of looking for where each button has now moved.

All of this used to be Mint. Windows started to "play" with this in win10. And that was one of the big reasons why I left Windows as a working environment.

Which "efficient manager" has made such a stupid decision to remove this efficient taskbar and leave "pretty crap pods". :?: :?: :?:

Looks like I'll have to find a new work OS. My job is not to "find and grab buttons".

Return the normal taskbar. Make a choice like it was in Mint 20. Of course, there was also a default selection of "pods". But at least there was a choice.

Return the normal taskbar. {very rude and lots of swear words} :evil: :evil: :evil:
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Return the normal work-oriented taskbar.

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have been using exactly what you describe for years, in Cinnamon.

Always there, one click and "my apps" are up and providing my work now.

looks.jpg
Last edited by AZgl1800 on Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

Maybe this procedure will be helpful to restore the normal taskbar.
- Right-click panel --> Choose Applets
- Select Grouped window list and click minus button to remove it
- Select Window list and add it by clicking plus button
- Right-click panel and choose Panel edit mode
- Rearrange applets as needed and switch off Panel edit mode
-=t42=-
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

Hello 4andrisbriedis welcome to the Forum.
I agree with you, the whole GUI world became Apple copycats.

You should probably stop using Cinnamon. Switch to a more traditional DE like Mate or Xfce.
Cinnamon used to have the "traditional panel layout" option in the Welcome Screen app, but it was removed. That's the direction Cinnamon is going. So you should use something else. They are not going to "return" it, I don't think. I would not expect it to happen.

(Saying this as a happy Cinnamon user)
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Why does everyone think that everything apple does is 100% correct and should be adopted?
I'm not sure where that came from ..because if that was the case, Apple's operating systems market share would be the majority instead of Windows.

This is a Linux Mint forum site...not an apple site. I'm not sure how many people here think what apple does is even 80% correct let alone 100% and should be adopted, but chances are higher the reason most are here at this site is that they wanted to try Mint or have already happy been living in the Linux Mint world for quite some time ( myself included in that one )

While spamegg made all valid points, if you wanted to keep Cinnamon and get the traditional panel layout back..here is one way how ( note you may need to edit/remove things you don't need be it in the text file i'll provide..or the gui way via mouse or keyboard to get your panel the way you like it

This adds to t42's point....

Paste the following into a text file, make it executable and run it (( note how you have your panel currently set will be vastly changed..things may get removed ** doesn't mean programs get nuked..just panel items-access to them until you run the text file or re " add to panel" the items you want on there.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

dconf write /org/cinnamon/panels-enabled "['1:0:bottom']"
sync
dconf write /org/cinnamon/panels-height "['1:27']"
sync
dconf write /org/cinnamon/panel-zone-icon-sizes '[{"left":0,"center":0,"right":0,"panelId":1}]'
sync
dconf write /org/cinnamon/enabled-applets "['panel1:left:0:menu@cinnamon.org','panel1:left:1:show-desktop@cinnamon.org','panel1:left:2:panel-launchers@cinnamon.org','panel1:left:3:window-list@cinnamon.org','panel1:right:0:systray@cinnamon.org','panel1:right:1:xapp-status@cinnamon.org','panel1:right:2:keyboard@cinnamon.org','panel1:right:3:notifications@cinnamon.org','panel1:right:4:printers@cinnamon.org','panel1:right:5:removable-drives@cinnamon.org','panel1:right:6:user@cinnamon.org','panel1:right:7:network@cinnamon.org','panel1:right:8:sound@cinnamon.org','panel1:right:9:power@cinnamon.org','panel1:right:10:calendar@cinnamon.org']"
sync
dconf write /org/cinnamon/theme/name "'Linux Mint'"
sync
dconf write /org/cinnamon/desktop/interface/gtk-theme "'[color=#FF0000]Mint-Y-Sand[/color]'"
sync
dconf write /org/cinnamon/desktop/interface/icon-theme "'[color=#FF0000]Mint-Y-Sand[/color]'"
sync
dconf write /org/cinnamon/desktop/wm/preferences/theme "'[color=#FF0000]Mint-Y-Dark-Sand[/color]'"
sync
cinnamon --replace > /dev/null 2>&1 & disown
sync
Last edited by SMG on Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
4andrisbriedis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 4andrisbriedis »

I added the "Windows list" applet as "t42" suggested. It is already better and more usable.

But i may have to look at other environments as well. I am no longer at the age where I reinstalled my computer 10 times a day just for fun. Now it is more important for me to use it for the tasks I have chosen to do. Use as a tool. The tool needs to be improved. Not change just to change. As it happens with mobile phone, laptop keyboards, .... On average, the most convenient statistical option has long been found. But no, they need to change all the time because of "new generation", whatever that means (Ubisoft .l..).
Last edited by SMG on Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to comply with forum rules.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I am using the same exact Windows appearance and location of my cellphone apps, that I have been using for a very long time.
Galaxy S5, Note 4, Note 8, S10+ times 2, one got crushed :cry: :cry: :cry:
we are talking 8 plus years, likely more.

I use the NOVA Launcher which allows me to define the 'desktop' and create Folders to contain similar apps on it....

NOVA transfers from phone to phone, without a burble...

my laptop?
it is a tool, I don't change things, "for the sake of change"

I get it like I want it, and it stays that way

I upgraded from 20.3 to LM21.x on purpose so that my desktop would not change.
/home is in a dedicated Partition, so that is not involved form OS to OS
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”