Stayin' Up Too Late

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Unchart3dSandb0x
Level 1
Level 1

Stayin' Up Too Late

Post by Unchart3dSandb0x »

I am preparing for a transition from Windows 10 to the most recent version of Linux Mint. Consequently, I have found myself staying up into the wee hours of the morning engaged in reading, compiling lists, and generally focused on all aspects of Linux Mint. Have others experienced similar circumstances? I am retired or not working, so sleeping late is not an issue. It appears as though I'm akin to a child getting ready for Christmas morning. 😆
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
System: ▪ HP Envy Desktop ▪ Intel Core i5-7400 (65 W) 3.0 GHz ▪ 8 GB (2x4 GB) DDR4 ▪ 1TB SATA SSD + 256GB SATA SSD ▪ Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia ▪ Kernel: 5.15... ▪ Cinnamon 6.0.4
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Stayin' Up Too Late

Post by Pjotr »

Haha. Well, personally I won't allow anything to come between me and a good night's sleep at my regular hours. I love to sleep. One of the best things in life. 8)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Well, personally I won't allow anything to come between me and a good night's sleep
Me too. And I tend to eat on time too.
and generally focused on all aspects of Linux Mint.
Four years into LM I am starting to realize how little I know. I often dive into learning something new on the terminal, but I document it pretty well since I am unlikely to remember the details.

Here is a little tip that may be a bit advanced for some users:

Backup first.

Remove spaces from filenames and replace with underbar:
find . -type f -exec rename "s/\s/_/g" {} \;

Then use

Code: Select all

grep -rin 'search term' *
There are other ways to search in files that contain spaces in the name, but I prefer grep -rin.
Unchart3dSandb0x
Level 1
Level 1

That's good stuff. I didn't think about the 'no spaces' issue. I'm old-school and a lot of my stuff is already that way. I wonder if there's a way to do that in Windows BEFORE I do the backup?
System: ▪ HP Envy Desktop ▪ Intel Core i5-7400 (65 W) 3.0 GHz ▪ 8 GB (2x4 GB) DDR4 ▪ 1TB SATA SSD + 256GB SATA SSD ▪ Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia ▪ Kernel: 5.15... ▪ Cinnamon 6.0.4
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Unchart3dSandb0x wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:12 pm ...I have found myself staying up into the wee hours of the morning engaged in reading, compiling lists, and generally focused on all aspects of Linux Mint. Have others experienced similar circumstances?...
Guilty as charged! I do it quite frequently, then pay for it the next morning. I have DSPD (Delayed Sleep Phase disorder), courtesy of my ADHD, so I not only tend to be a night owl, my mind functions best late at night. I retain more data I encounter late at night (I retain water 24/7 :roll: ), I'm most creative at night, and do my best problem solving late at night. Adding insult to injury, if I have been dealing with a sticky problem during the day, I can't get to sleep until I can at least get a handle on it. I also have problems getting to sleep at night if I've left something unfinished; I'm often not able to get it off my mind.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

I vehemently represent all these remarks :P
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Unchart3dSandb0x
Level 1
Level 1

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:52 am Guilty as charged! I do it quite frequently, then pay for it the next morning. I have DSPD (Delayed Sleep Phase disorder), courtesy of my ADHD, so I not only tend to be a night owl, my mind functions best late at night. I retain more data I encounter late at night (I retain water 24/7 :roll: ), I'm most creative at night, and do my best problem solving late at night. Adding insult to injury, if I have been dealing with a sticky problem during the day, I can't get to sleep until I can at least get a handle on it. I also have problems getting to sleep at night if I've left something unfinished; I'm often not able to get it off my mind.
Sounds a lot like me. 🤭
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:52 am ...I also have problems getting to sleep at night if I've left something unfinished; I'm often not able to get it off my mind.
And it happened again tonight...and this morning. :roll: I had made four corner pieces of oak to keep the oak mini-table I made to elevate my computer from scooting on the top of the nightstand it sits on. It later dawned on me I needed to do the same to keep the computer from scooting on top of the mini-table. Of course, I couldn't just knock them out really quickly; they had to fit and look just right so there was a lot of tweaking to get the fit just right. :roll:

The frustrating part is they need to be lacquered before I can install them and I can't do that until tomorrow (assuming I can drag my ample asset out of bed in the morning) after it warms up enough.

Going back to the better problem solving. I didn't want to permanently attach the corner pieces to the nightstand and mini-table in case I ever need to move or change them but couldn't decide what would look best (double sided tape doesn't always stick to wood very well). It didn't dawn on me until just as I was finishing up on the last four corner pieces that pin nails would work best (and I just happen to have a pin nailer and the correct length pin nails). Pin nails are tiny enough they barely show after shooting them into the wood (if you don't know they are there you won't see them at all). Any force applied to the corner pieces will be lateral so the pin nails will be more than strong enough yet it won't be too difficult to pry loose the corner pieces if ever necessary.

Now maybe I can get to sleep. :roll:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

I'm in my 70s and have my nights when I can't although don't intentionally let nothing interrupt my sleep.

I learn enough to install and use the Linux distro of choice and learn what I needed along the way.

For the most Linux works OOTB.

Enjoy the Linux adventure.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:52 am
Unchart3dSandb0x wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:12 pm ...I have found myself staying up into the wee hours of the morning engaged in reading, compiling lists, and generally focused on all aspects of Linux Mint. Have others experienced similar circumstances?...
Guilty as charged!...
And I'm paying for last night this morning. :roll: After I hit the head, I'm hitting the hay.
Jeannie

Unchart3dSandb0x
Level 1
Level 1

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:59 am
Guilty as charged!...
And I'm paying for last night this morning. :roll: After I hit the head, I'm hitting the hay.
Ha! You're too much. 😆
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Unchart3dSandb0x wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:53 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:59 am

Guilty as charged!...
Ha! You're too much. 😆
Was that a crack about my weight? I'll have you know I've lost 75 lb. in the last two years or so.

:wink: I'm still not awake yet. :roll:
Jeannie

Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Staying up late Linuxing is great as long as you don't make system changes when it's 3 or 4 AM and your eyes are bleary.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Hoser Rob wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:28 pm Staying up late Linuxing is great as long as you don't make system changes when it's 3 or 4 AM and your eyes are bleary.
Actually, I'm more likely to be more alert than than during the day. I fade pretty quickly after that.
Jeannie

AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Unchart3dSandb0x wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:32 am That's good stuff. I didn't think about the 'no spaces' issue. I'm old-school and a lot of my stuff is already that way. I wonder if there's a way to do that in Windows BEFORE I do the backup?
It works, but a pain when using commands in a terminal, you have to quote or escape spaces when manipulating files or folders with spaces in the names. The space is used as a delimiter between parameters in the command.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Unchart3dSandb0x
Level 1
Level 1

AndyMH wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:59 pm It works, but a pain when using commands in a terminal, you have to quote or escape spaces when manipulating files or folders with spaces in the names. The space is used as a delimiter between parameters in the command.
I'm changing those spaces and newly discovered punctuation marks with an old app I have. I'm discovering special characters that cause me to use the ALT+ command on the keyboard. All this BEFORE I get to the converstion from Win to LM. Y'all... even this part is making me cuss. 🫢
diyliberty
Level 3
Level 3

Post by diyliberty »

I have found myself going down rabbit holes learning how things work too. I have made myself focus on doing tasks rather than learning every nuance of something that I will likely not use. One night I was looking into home automation. After five hours it was midnight and I come to the realization that I don't really want to automate my house. I really did not have much use for self hosted cloud apps. All that research just turned into more junk floating around in my head.
Unchart3dSandb0x
Level 1
Level 1

I can relate... big time.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

I was totally wasted yesterday after being up so late so I waited until today to lacquer and install the oak pieces I cut out two days ago.I'll post about them in my New Computer thread.
Jeannie

rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Unchart3dSandb0x wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:32 am That's good stuff. I didn't think about the 'no spaces' issue. I'm old-school and a lot of my stuff is already that way. I wonder if there's a way to do that in Windows BEFORE I do the backup?
I just found this thread.
Glad Mike mentioned spaces, and as Andy said there are workarounds, but it is simply best to avoid them. That said you can probably fix any after you are using Linux.

You can remove / change spaces from filename a "batch" at a time in Linux from one simple command.
To change spaces to underscores, do;
1, Open a folder that contains files with "bad" filenames in a terminal (right click inside the folder and choose "open in Terminal")

and run this command;
for file in *; do mv "$file" "$(echo $file | tr ' ' '_')" ; done

Note; the bit after tr (transform) ' ' '_'. Single quote, space, single quote, space, single quote, underscore, single quote. You can change that to anything you want...OK, not anything, but you could use a dash instead of underscore...for example.

Yeah, I stay up late too!

PS, Yes it is kind of like christmas, after 13+ years as a Linux user I just discovered something new yesterday, and I am SURE there is something else new for me to find.
Windows keeps "hiding" more, and more stuff, Linux is "wide open", so cool.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200

Return to “Open Chat”