Purge logs and general maintance

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
damod11
Level 1
Level 1

Purge logs and general maintance

Post by damod11 »

Hi, For some reason LMDE 5 var/log filled up my disk and made the system unbootable. I booted from usb and deleted the culprits, and got it running again. Any ideas why this happened ? daemon.log user.log messages where about 40gb in size for whatever reason.
Is there a good way to purge the filesystem and keep it from getting clogged up going forward ?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Purge logs and general maintance

Post by SMG »

damod11 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:11 pm Hi, For some reason LMDE 5 var/log filled up my disk and made the system unbootable.
Apparently, there is a problem in your system and the logs were recording it.
damod11 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:11 pmI booted from usb and deleted the culprits, and got it running again. Any ideas why this happened ? daemon.log user.log messages where about 40gb in size for whatever reason.
Because you "deleted the culprits" you removed the evidence of what happened.

Please open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. Then click the Copy button in the lower right and paste the results into a reply window here so we can see how Linux Mint views your hardware.
damod11 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:11 pmIs there a good way to purge the filesystem and keep it from getting clogged up going forward ?
Fix whatever the problem is so it doesn't fill the logs. Logs do not normally do that so there is no reason to have to "purge logs" so you can boot.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Software & Applications”