Preferred Browser

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Unchart3dSandb0x
Level 1
Level 1

Preferred Browser

Post by Unchart3dSandb0x »

With Firefox embracing AI - something I have no problem with - and Microsoft making its Edge browser available to the Linux folks. Which application is your preferred browser? Chromium, Vivaldi, Opera, Google's Chrome, Brave, Waterfox, command line?
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
System: ▪ HP Envy Desktop ▪ Intel Core i5-7400 (65 W) 3.0 GHz ▪ 8 GB (2x4 GB) DDR4 ▪ 1TB SATA SSD + 256GB SATA SSD ▪ Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia ▪ Kernel: 5.15... ▪ Cinnamon 6.0.4
Jymm
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Preferred Browser

Post by Jymm »

Waterfox, no telemetry.
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

LibreWolf - a variant of Firefox, but stripped of telemetry and other vulnerabilities. You can read more here: viewtopic.php?t=412504
Don't trust Microsoft.
Last edited by SMG on Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Behind every faulty computer there is a user who did nothing...
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

I like vivaldi. Because it just works the way I do, but also us midori Both are good Browsers.
more about midori here. https://astian.org/midori-browser/
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Brave browser. It's security conscious and has a very effective ad blocker. Just don't bother with its BAT (Basic Attention Token) program, a type of cryptocurrency that rewards users and websites for allowing certain ads through; it's buggier than a cheap flophouse bed.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Firefox for general use, because of its unsurpassed tweakability with about:config. And, well, also because I'm simply used to it. :wink:

Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge for specific purposes; mainly for websites that don't work well in my tweaked Firefox.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Pjotr wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:22 am Firefox for general use, because of its unsurpassed tweakability with about:config. And, well, also because I'm simply used to it. :wink:

Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge for specific purposes; mainly for websites that don't work well in my tweaked Firefox.
I never could get used to Firefox nor ever liked it. I have Librewolf for the occasional website that doesn't play well with Brave. If I encounter a website that won't play well with either, I just assume the website's developers were too incompetent to design a safe website and avoid the site altogether. Some businesses don't get my business just for that reason.

One of my pet peeves when I was still with Windows was websites that wouldn't work with IE (don't hate me; IE 10 and 11 were actually pretty good) and would recommend Firefox (which I don't like) and Google Chrome (which I trust as far as I can spit upwind in a hurricane).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Jymm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Jymm »

I won't use any browser without the option to have a top menu bar. I use the menu bar all the time.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Jymm wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:19 am I won't use any browser without the option to have a top menu bar. I use the menu bar all the time.
Same here.
Jeannie

Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Dan-cer »

Vivaldi for more than 4 years. Security very good, integrated ad and tracker blocker very good. Numerous features that I wouldn't want to do without.
How you get better results when searching for yourself.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

"Preferred" is meaningless.
You can compare browsers on different criteria:

- Security (descending order):
* flatpak or snap browsers,
* firejail sandboxed browsers,
* Chromium family
* Firefox family

- Intrinsic Privacy (descending order):
* ungoogled-chromium,
* mullvad browser
* librewolf, waterfox,
* Firefox
* Chromium, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge
Note that using settings and filters ("/etc/hosts", uBlock Origin...), you can get comparable privacy with any browser.
Enable https everywhere mode and set encrypted dns requests to public servers to reveal less to your ISP.

- Anonymity:
* Tor Browser, or Mullvad Browser on Tor Network, or Firefox with specific settings (Resist fingerprinting and First party isolation) on Tor Network,
* use of Proton VPN or Mullvad VPN,
* use of other VPN
Note that the use of a browser on Tor network coupled to the use of a VPN offers the maximum anonymity protection.

- GUI is just a question of taste.

Regards,

MN

PS:
- I use now firejailed Firefox with specific settings on Tor Network, Proton VPN, and firejailed Microsoft Edge with specific settings and specific filters against Google and Microsoft tracking. Moreover, I use "/etc/hosts" as an IP addresses filter.
- Some months ago, when my GPU was still compatible of flatpaks, I used flatpak Mullvad Browser on Tor Network, flatpak Proton VPN and flatpak Ungoogled-Chromium, and "/etc/hosts" as an IP addresses filter.
- For all my browsers, "https everywhere" mode is enabled.
- I use encrypted TLS V3 DNS requests to public DNS servers (Google, Cloudflare etc.).

Further read: viewtopic.php?t=397740
Last edited by MikeNovember on Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Level 2

Post by MintMagoo »

BRAVE. You can create a basic Profile (this will be named "Profile 1" in the main brave browser interface). I turn off most things and clear everything by default on close.

Then you can create separate profiles and segregate to your hearts content. Give them a name, Bank 1, Bank 2..., Shop 1, Shop 2...., Email 1, Email 2...,....

Some profiles can store cookies, some clear, some save sign on info, some won't, you can have one for Skype and allow cam and mic permissions,... etc.....

After creating a named profile(s) go to:

Home/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser

Open "Default" directory and select all (ctrl+a) and copy (ctrl+c). * This is the profile you created named "Profile 1" in the main brave browser interface.

Return to Home/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser

The profiles are stored in directories named Profile #, starting with Profile 1 (this is not the same Profile 1 that appears in the main Brave browser interface, it is the first New profile you created. Subsequent profiles will be named Profile 2, Profile 3, Profile 4.... in the directory).

Open each "Profile #" and delete the contents (ctrl+a, Delete).

Now paste (ctrl+v) the contents copied from the "Default" directory.

The above steps will give you the same basic tweaks for every profile you create. You than only have to do minor changes for some profiles depending on your use case.

Then from the main Brave browser you can select the profile you want to set up.

EX: Bank1

Select Bank1

Enter the url address and sign on, browse the the page you want to land on each time when first logging on.

The following steps will allow you to create separate shortcuts/apps for each url(s) you create from the tweaked profiles, else you can launch directly from the main brave browser interface.

Click on the "hamburger" icon in the upper right of the page. ==> More tools ==> Create shortcut

Name the shortcut, you can check the "open as window" box if you want it to open a window that resembles an app.

A shortcut than will be put on the desktop.

The shortcuts can also be added to a launcher via command:

/usr/bin/brave-browser-stable %U --profile-directory="Profile 1"

For the "apps" check the command used on the desktop launcher or application menu.
Last edited by MintMagoo on Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulL
Level 6
Level 6

Post by PaulL »

Dan-cer wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:09 pm Vivaldi for more than 4 years. Security very good, integrated ad and tracker blocker very good. Numerous features that I wouldn't want to do without.
Ditto!
Unchart3dSandb0x
Level 1
Level 1

MikeNovember wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:11 pm Hi,

"Preferred" is meaningless.

MN
Preferred, go to, it's semantics. Although, I agree on all those points.
System: ▪ HP Envy Desktop ▪ Intel Core i5-7400 (65 W) 3.0 GHz ▪ 8 GB (2x4 GB) DDR4 ▪ 1TB SATA SSD + 256GB SATA SSD ▪ Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia ▪ Kernel: 5.15... ▪ Cinnamon 6.0.4
Unchart3dSandb0x
Level 1
Level 1

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:11 am Brave browser. It's security conscious and has a very effective ad blocker. Just don't bother with its BAT (Basic Attention Token) program, a type of cryptocurrency that rewards users and websites for allowing certain ads through; it's buggier than a cheap flophouse bed.
That's an issue that bothered me about Brave. I don't blame them for trying to make a buck, but the whole crypto thing was weird. Maybe it's just me.
Unchart3dSandb0x
Level 1
Level 1

Jymm wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:25 am Waterfox, no telemetry.
Waterfox looks real interesting. I've never used it, but read about it. If I recall, they were going to offer an Android version and it didn't happen. I could be wrong. My memory is... wait. What were we talking about?
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Post by missmoondog »

i have 3 browsers that i currently use, firefox, edge and ulaa, https://ulaa.com/

all 3 work just great for me and haven't ever had an issue where a website wouldn't work with any of them.
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

kc1di wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:31 am I like vivaldi. Because it just works the way I do, but also us midori Both are good Browsers.
more about midori here. https://astian.org/midori-browser/
Out of curiosity I decided to install it. I used the .deb file for Debian. It installed without a problem. Actually Midori is also a modification of Firefox, like LibreWolf, but it has some additional extras like changing the user agent and others that I liked.
Additionally, it worked immediately with KeepassXC without the unnecessary complication of making new folders and files that was required with Wolf.
diabolicbg wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:44 am SOLUTION: Create a /native-messaging-hosts/ folder yourself inside the .librewolf folder, copy the org.keepassxc.keepassxc_browser.json file from the Mozilla /native-messaging-hosts folder and paste it inside. Then restart LibreWolf and everything will work.
I guess it will become my favorite browser.
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Behind every faulty computer there is a user who did nothing...
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Unchart3dSandb0x wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:30 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:11 am Brave browser. It's security conscious and has a very effective ad blocker. Just don't bother with its BAT (Basic Attention Token) program, a type of cryptocurrency that rewards users and websites for allowing certain ads through; it's buggier than a cheap flophouse bed.
That's an issue that bothered me about Brave. I don't blame them for trying to make a buck, but the whole crypto thing was weird. Maybe it's just me.
I agree it seems to be weird. However, you don't have to opt-in to BAT; Brave works just fine, if not better, without it.
Jeannie

Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Firefox ESR, I don't like the new 'features' of FF. I always install Chrome too because there are times when no other browser will work but I don't use it much any more.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Open Chat”