How Do I Install or "Inject" Burg onto My Windows 11 USB Installer Flashdrive? Does Mint Use Grub 2 or Syslinux?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Alvin777
Level 1
Level 1

How Do I Install or "Inject" Burg onto My Windows 11 USB Installer Flashdrive? Does Mint Use Grub 2 or Syslinux?

Post by Alvin777 »

Hello Linux Mint friends, how do I install or "inject" Burg onto my Windows 11 Installer Flashdrive so it can boot an an EFI (not UEFI) based Mac and also boot on the PC so I can service Windows Boot Camp (on the Mac) and Windows 11 on the actual PC (backup of each other) with one Flashdrive (HP's stylish but not so fast all metal flashdrive)?

Could you point me to a good video or article how to do it, preferably easily through some kind of GUI but I heard Burg is a GUI Grub bootloader installer.

Right now I'll install Linux Mint onto an external drive via Windows Boot Camp using Rufus (Yumi maybe too) w/ 10GB of persistence. I think it installs to the USB flashdrive as LiveCD Linux and then it gives you an option to full install it or perhaps it has a way to install it directly on Windows like Ubuntu (which I remember doesn't boot on an EFI Mac).

Is Linux Mint using the Gryb 2, Syslinux, rEFInd, Burg or another bootloader and is it a modified version of whichever bootloader it's using?

Thank you in advance for the Linux Mint advice. God bless you.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How Do I Install or "Inject" Burg onto My Windows 11 USB Installer Flashdrive? Does Mint Use Grub 2 or Syslinux?

Post by Hoser Rob »

Here are a couple of Burg links:

https://launchpad.net/burg
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Burg

Those 2 links have been inactive for a dozen years or so. Linux doesn't have backwards compatibility like Windows does. I wouldn't go near it myself.

Unfortunately there are lots of links still around to completely obsolete software that just isn't going to work in a modern still supported Linux distro. Stick with things that are for your Mint release or (more commonly) the Ubuntu release it's based on.

I can't offer alternatives, I've been one of the "don't mess with the system" type of users for years. It's served me very well. And I wouldn't think of replacing grub with anything else.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
PaulL
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How Do I Install or "Inject" Burg onto My Windows 11 USB Installer Flashdrive? Does Mint Use Grub 2 or Syslinux?

Post by PaulL »

I can answer one of your questions: Linux Mint uses GRUB as its bootloader, and the version is GRUB2. Whether you would need that on the flash drive you are proposing to make is a different question.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Seems there are some tools around to modify windows 110 ISO's but it mostly seems to be about de-bloating windows, IE removing stuff, or adding windows features, not about install "other" software.
One example;
https://www.elevenforum.com/t/create-cu ... -file.443/

Since I do not use windows, and this is not a help forum for windows,...
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”