How long have you been using Linux ?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

How many Years ?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:38 pm

Less than One Year
No votes
Between One to Three Years
3%
Between Three to Five Years
9%
Between Five to Ten Years
26%
Between Ten to Fifteen Years
18%
Over Fifteen Years
38%
Forever
6%

Total votes: 34

Infidelus
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How long have you been using Linux ?

Post by Infidelus »

Probably somewhere towards the end of 2016. Certainly after Windows 10 came out, and I think I put up with it for around a year before throwing my teddies out of the pram and binning it for good*. I had played with Linux Mint on a few occasions before but never managed to stick with it as I like my gaming sessions. I'm not really much into distro hopping but I have looked at a couple in VMs and I do run a couple of Ubuntu servers and a few Raspberry Pi's.

* I do have a copy of Windows still installed as a VM but I've probably only booted the VM up a couple of times in the last year, and that was just to download some Windows software, that I wanted to try in wine, that the website was blocking from Linux.
Gaming exclusively on Linux since 2017. Windows can suck it!
supertech555
Level 1
Level 1

Post by supertech555 »

I have been using Linux mint fully (other than to run one app that refuses to run in wine) for about a year and a half I initially installed 2 years ago but it took some time to switch over from Windows.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I just found my Mandrake Linux boot disk; a 3.5" floppy! I had thought I had gotten rid of it years ago, but nope it was in a box, so moving lets you find all sorts of things.
old_noob
Level 4
Level 4

Post by old_noob »

10 years in May.
fstjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by fstjohn »

Going on 10 years. Tried several different distros and quickly settled on Mint Cinnamon.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

I had the first use of command line by using Cygwin (1995) then Mingw+Msys (2000) on Windows.
It was not really Linux, rather GNU.

Then, I have experimented colinux, it was a Linux kernel running on Windows. I had installed GNU and a desktop environment over it, and had access to GUI desktop using VNC. Unfortunately, its developers were unable to make a 64 bits version (2007 - 2014).

I have also experimented live CDs or DVDs, my favourite was Knoppix. (2000) Still existing, but no longer updated.

I have also used a Linux version installed on the same partition as Windows, and launched like a windows app: launching it was inducing a restart and boot in Linux. I think this trick had been invented by Linux Mint people.

I have used several versions of Ubuntu or Linux Mint in virtual machines (with VMware).

I have installed several versions of Linux Mint and Ubuntu on old computers that I gave.

Finally, when Windows 7 on my laptop became obsolete, I tried to install Windows 10 and got a BSOD. Naturally I installed Linux Mint (18.2, 19.2, 20.2, 20.3 and finally 21.3) Mate edition, to have a simple desktop, without bells and whistles. I still use Windows 7 and 10 Pro in virtual machines.

So, I would say that I have been using GNU / Linux intermittently for ~30 years, and permanently for 4 years.

And I have been using computers constantly for 49 years (the 1st one I used was programmed with punched cards).

I have programmed in Fortran, COBOL, various BASICs, mainly for scientific calculations. I stopped when I found Mathcad, that I still use, or the free Mathcad inspired Smath Desktop.

I have "hacked" several systems (Apple II, Windows, Linux) where hacking means arriving to do unexpected things with an operating system with a minimum of programming and a maximum of reuse.

Regards,

MN
Last edited by MikeNovember on Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Level 4

Post by wwblm »

I've been playing with Mint since version 19 IIRC. Made it my daily driver last summer. Just now I was going though a series of video tutorials for Linux certification. So much of what they were going over was very familiar to me as I learned it starting in 1999 with Mac OS X Server 1.0. Learning that got me comfortable with using a shell and so many things that are basically the same as they are in Linux although that was free BSD Mach based. Rock solid system. Used it to run a web server for about a decade. Of course the Mac OS X came after that and hid much the free BSD stuff but it was still there and I used some of it so really the transition from Mac to Linux was not difficult for me even though I am not a computer nerd and have never had any real training. I just wanted to run a web server in 1999 so I learned what I needed to with the server product.
In about 2009 I put Ubuntu on a laptop for my wife. I probably spent a total of several hours using that and she used it for a few years before going back to windows with a new laptop.
I really see myself as quite a newb when it comes to Linux while at the same time I feel very comfortable with it as the foundations are not that different from what I learned with the original Mac OS X Server and with Mint 21.3 it just feels polished and comfortable like the Mac OS before it went down hill.
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Dan-cer »

Mint since about 2015, other - Ubuntu mainly - since about 2012. At that time I was quite happy with Win7 and unhappy with hardware driver problems with Linux.
Since Mint 19 I am very happy with a stable and beautiful Mint Cinnamon.
How you get better results when searching for yourself.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

mostly this side of Y2K
:lol:

it was with Mandriva / Mandrake, from some UK magazine.
then onto Ubuntu with all of those delivered disks, of theirs
Finally onto this LinuxMint System,

maybe, around 16 years, in this new year.
:mrgreen:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
jdg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jdg »

Tried to install slackware 3.1 in 1996, and accidentally deleted my MS windows 3. Then Red Hat, Suse 4.3, Mandrake, Ubuntu and Xubuntu, Mint. Debian at work between 2000 and 2012. Then at home used Arch till last year, then Fedora for 6 months . Debian for 2 months then Arch again. I finally installed Linux mint 2 weeks ago :D
oswald_c
Level 2
Level 2

Post by oswald_c »

Later this year will be the 15th anniversary of me switching from Windows XP to Linux Mint, and sticking with it. I tried a few times before (SuSE, Ubuntu etc) but the switch to Mint made it stick.
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DisturbedDragon »

Full time on Linux since 1998. Visited many times before that.
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Prior to Windows XP EOL 2014 so almost 10 years.

I cut my Linux teeth with Debian Wheezy.

While learning about Linux I used Windows Vista and had no complaints with Windows Vista.

I keep a working Windows OS computer to run Flight Simulator X although it stays disconnected from the internet.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

DisturbedDragon wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:21 pm Full time on Linux since 1998. Visited many times before that.
Wow, you are my hero! Amazing.
BwingBob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BwingBob »

coffee412 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:00 pm About 24 years for me. I remember having to roll your own kernel and having to have a creative sound card and a cd disk connected to it to even think of it working. Back in the day the compatible hardware was very limited.
Creative sound card and Winmodems! Man, I do not miss those days.

Bob
Pop_OS! 22.04 {Dell Inspiron 15 5510}
Linux Mint Cinnamon 21 {Minisforum UM700}
Pop_OS! Thelio Mira ;-)
We have met the enemy and he is us. - Pogo
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

BwingBob wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:48 am
coffee412 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:00 pm About 24 years for me. I remember having to roll your own kernel and having to have a creative sound card and a cd disk connected to it to even think of it working. Back in the day the compatible hardware was very limited.
Creative sound card and Winmodems! Man, I do not miss those days.

Bob
HA! What a blast from the past. I remember getting my first of both and installing them, and then futzing around for days to get things working right.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

I selected Between Ten to Fifteen Years because I first started using Linux with Redhat 5.0 ... I just did not stick with it because OS/2 was still a better fit for me.

I switched to Linux in officially in 2014 when WinXP hit EoL. So technically I guess I should be in the Between Five to Ten Years Club, but I am not changing my status. :D
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Kory
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kory »

I also started with Red Hat over 20 years ago, but that lasted only for a while during studying. Then around 2008 everybody went to Ubuntu so I went there too. It was great because you could find so many answers for troubleshooting and it was a much better experience than with RH for me.

Then things changed, I had to work a lot with Windows at the job, I was a vivid gamer who needed stuff to just run instead of getting them to run (I had so little time and energy), so I took a break from Linux for a while.

But now I'm back and I'm not going anywhere anymore. All my use cases work great on Linux and will only improve from now on. I'm starting to look for opportunities to give something back (not only donations) and I'm beginning to find projects and people I can support. I'm no programmer, I cannot code, I can "only" do other things to help. And I still need to learn a lot about Linux. Guess I'm already at the right place for that here :wink:
Tuor
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tuor »

That is a hard question to answer. I have had an emergency live linux distro (Knoppix) for many years, perhaps since 2004.But i never really installed it in a computer until last year where i installed LM in one of my computers. I wanted to find a replacement for windows 10, and since i hadn't supported hardware for W11 i decided to test it so i installed LM 21.1 on my core2quad. Since then i upgraded my main computer, but have LMDE 6 running on 2 of my computers, including my core2quad.
Creeper
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Creeper »

Hello. I'm use Linux 7 months. My first linux-Linux mint 20.0. Very good Linux for start. Now I'm use Linux mint 21.3 and kde neon.

Return to “Chat about Linux”