It is heck getting old

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

It is heck getting old

Post by MurphCID »

I remember the days when all I had on my desk was "grunt candy (aka Aleve, ibuprofen, acetominophin, asprin)", and now I look at the various things the doctor is demanding I take, and I wish I was as healthy as I was at 20.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
stevengarland
Level 5
Level 5

Re: It is heck getting old

Post by stevengarland »

I am 86 today!
Keep It Simple Sweetheart
CloneWerks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by CloneWerks »

Remember when you would wreck your bike, shake it off, go play basketball for a couple of hours and you could still get up and move in the morning?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:44 pm I remember the days when all I had on my desk was "grunt candy (aka Aleve, ibuprofen, acetominophin, asprin)", and now I look at the various things the doctor is demanding I take, and I wish I was as healthy as I was at 20.
Wait until you're my age. :roll:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Oh, so I'm one of the youngsters, only a year over 80.
Medication, yes, there was just/only aspirin in the cupboard until very recently.
As for bicycle riding, only about 30 km a week, a bit slack (="lazy"). I might get an electric one in 20 years time.

Then there's the memory thing, it is Friday to day? No? What!!!!
At the Shed we wear name badges and I suggest having them upside-down so the wearer knows who they are.

One of our "youngsters" there who will get a letter from the King in 4 years time (when he reaches 100) is wondering which king. "Youngster" as he looks as if he might just about be old enough to retire.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

RollyShed wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:33 pm Oh, so I'm one of the youngsters, only a year over 80.
Medication, yes, there was just/only aspirin in the cupboard until very recently...
I have seven prescriptions plus three more OTC meds I've also been prescribed. I'm limited to what pain meds I can take because of my other meds. I'm not supposed to take NSAIDs because of my aspirin regimen although I cheat occasionally and take some Alleve. I can't take acetaminophen because other meds already stress my liver and kidneys (I have to get semiannual bloodwork to make sure the meds aren't wrecking my kidneys and, especially, my liver as well as track other things, like my A1C). Anything stronger will make me sick at my stomach. :roll:

Besides two baby aspirin daily, I also have to take 600MG of calcium and 2000IU of Vitamin D. Because I'm essentially a walking pharmacy, I won't take any OTC meds without consulting my doctor first.

Dang! We sound like a bunch of old women comparing ailments (wait...I am an old woman).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

stevengarland wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:49 pm I am 86 today!
Happy, happy birthday! Hope you have done or will be doing something fun to celebrate. There is no age limit on having fun. :)
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I just hit 64 yesterday, and feel every hour of it.
shedyed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shedyed »

I keep using Linux to keep my brain working, but I still tell my friends I only have 32M of RAM. <---- when I bought my first PC :D
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

shedyed wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:27 pm I keep using Linux to keep my brain working, but I still tell my friends I only have 32M of RAM. <---- when I bought my first PC :D
Heck, Linux is my brain. Thanks to my delightful ADHD, my life would be a huge mess without computers.
Jeannie

diyliberty
Level 3
Level 3

Post by diyliberty »

Everyone gets old. I think we are doing better today. When I watch old black and white movies 20 somethings look like today's 40s and people in their 40s look like today's 60s. Smoking might have had a lot to do with it.

I am waiting for the Singularity to happen. 20 years ago many futurists were saying that 2030 is going to be the year that life expectancy increases a year for every year that pass. That essentially means we become immortal. They were predicting around 2050 is when humans would become one with our machines, i.e. the Singularity. I think they are a bit too optimistic. I expect to die some day. My children or maybe my grandchildren might live forever in one form or another.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

diyliberty wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:54 am ...I am waiting for the Singularity to happen. 20 years ago many futurists were saying that 2030 is going to be the year that life expectancy increases a year for every year that pass. That essentially means we become immortal. They were predicting around 2050 is when humans would become one with our machines, i.e. the Singularity. I think they are a bit too optimistic. I expect to die some day. My children or maybe my grandchildren might live forever in one form or another.
The way the world is going south without even bothering with the hand basket, I don't want to live forever. Besides, the way my body keeps going downhill, I probably won't live to see 2030 and, if I do, I wouldn't want to live forever with the even more decrepit body I would have.
Jeannie

tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Although getting old is not fun, it is preferable to dying, isn't it? :D I'll be celebrating my 93rd birthday in another 7 months, and although my doctor tells me that the pump which is my heart is wearing out, I have too much to do to die for a few more years. Linux gave me an incentive to exercise my brain when I discovered it at the age of 75 and this year I set myself a goal of learning to use FreeBSD - just because I haven't tried it before - although Linux Mint will continue to be my daily driver.
Sexagenarians, Septuagenarians, Octogenarians out there, just do your best to kee p breathing in and then out and, before you know it you'll be a Nonagenarian. :D
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
gw18k
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gw18k »

The worst part is being more alone. Not being alone as in I have no friends, but so many of my friends are gone, thus fewer friends, and I feel the void they filled.
I still work around the place cutting trees, kudzu, cleaning drainage ditches, working on my Vespas, and other honey do lists. These things require more time to complete than previous years.

Due to my time alone, I finished three books yesterday. And believe me, that's a lot of coloring.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.― Jimi Hendrix
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

gw18k wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:44 pm ...I still work around the place cutting trees, kudzu, cleaning drainage ditches, working on my Vespas, and other honey do lists. These things require more time to complete than previous years...
That's what I tell people is the second worst part of getting old. Having skills but no longer the strength and stamina to do many of them or taking forever to do the ones I still can.

gw18k wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:44 pm The worst part is being more alone. Not being alone as in I have no friends, but so many of my friends are gone, thus fewer friends, and I feel the void they filled...
And that's the worst thing for me. I've outlived too many people I care about, many younger than me.

gw18k wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:44 pm ...Due to my time alone, I finished three books yesterday. And believe me, that's a lot of coloring.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The funny thing is I looked forward to getting old so I would have more time to read. Somehow, it didn't work out that way. It seems I always have something else to do. :roll: I still get to read, just not as much as I wanted to.
Jeannie

wwblm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wwblm »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:46 pm That's what I tell people is the second worst part of getting old. Having skills but no longer the strength and stamina to do many of them or taking forever to do the ones I still can.
I'm kind of young for this thread. Even so, that kind of strikes a chord for me even a decade ago! Told my daughter I would shingle her garage roof for her and we could make it a bonding project as well! I could pass along my knowledge and skills! She was too terrified for that to ever work and I have no idea how this scared old man managed to take control of my body! It was truly an ugly and unbelievable scene. Eventually I did manage to complete the job. Still can't quite comprehend how it took way longer than the last roof I did even though I had an air nailer instead of an actual hammer!
gw18k wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:44 pm The worst part is being more alone. Not being alone as in I have no friends, but so many of my friends are gone, thus fewer friends, and I feel the void they filled...
This is indeed the worst part of the whole thing. I'm still a touch short of Medicare yet I have lost too many people that were so much a part of my life!
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

stevengarland wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:49 pm I am 86 today!
Happy Birthday Steve !!!!
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

The worst part is being more alone. Not being alone as in I have no friends, but so many of my friends are gone, thus fewer friends, and I feel the void they filled.

You might see from my signature why this isn't too bad (old). Men's Sheds were started in Australia (about 1200) and then moved to civilised countries i.e. NZ (120) and Britain & Ireland (masses of them). Then the more uncivilised i.e. USA has 12 !!!!
Some of these have women members too.

Anyway, what ever, the most important bit I keep pointing out, is mid morning for a cuppa and a couple of biscuits (US - coffee and cookies).

Those with skills use them, those without make the coffee & tea and have a yarn.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

gw18k wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:44 pm
Due to my time alone, I finished three books yesterday. And believe me, that's a lot of coloring.
HAHA !
Hey "friend", too funny, but seriously I hear you,
The worst part is being more alone. Not being alone as in I have no friends, but so many of my friends are gone, thus fewer friends,
That did actually happen to my dad, he just died this past april...he had outlived all his friends...not good.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

RollyShed wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:48 pm ...Then the more uncivilised i.e. USA has 12 !!!!...
Hey, I represent that remark!

:wink:
Jeannie

Return to “Open Chat”