Software store problem

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Taur10
Level 2
Level 2

Software store problem

Post by Taur10 »

Ok, silly little problem since I rarely need to get anything, but on my recently set up laser computer the software manager struggles, slow launch if'n it launches at all, and it sometimes freezes. Oddly it's the only program that's struggling to launch, and if'n it does manage to launch and not freeze, then it works fine. Oh, and Synaptic package manager, update manager and the installer for DEB files all work perfectly fine.

The system in question is runs a Celeron J1900, 128G eMMC, and 1.8G memory with a fresh install of LMDE 6 (fresh because I forgot the password I put on it when testing).
Seph
I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane.
TitForTat
Level 1
Level 1
Location: Germany - thats where "Lederhosen" and "Bratwurst" is from!

Re: Software store problem

Post by TitForTat »

That was my observation as well. Never saw it not launching at all but it is really slow. I think it’s a general issue with the software center/manager. Might be due for some optimisation.

It gets worse when it needs to cache the libraries new (executing the „sudo apt update“ in the background). I feel once it has refreshed everything, it takes less time (still slow though).

For my parents laptop… they just have to wait. For my system… I just use the command line instead. It’s usually the faster way for me for almost everything. If you are confident using the terminal to do things, I would go for that, especially when you run a very low spec pc. If the terminal is not an option, you still got synaptic working well. Just skip the software center I suppose.
Taur10
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Software store problem

Post by Taur10 »

TitForTat wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:04 pm For my parents laptop… they just have to wait. For my system… I just use the command line instead. It’s usually the faster way for me for almost everything. If you are confident using the terminal to do things, I would go for that, especially when you run a very low spec pc. If the terminal is not an option, you still got synaptic working well. Just skip the software center I suppose.
Unfortunately I have a memory like a sieve, so I have to rely on GUI'sk unfortunately. I've always wished someone would do a WM or DE that was entirely text based menus, like DOS had in the days before Windows.
Seph
I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane.

Return to “Software & Applications”