HP smart-tank 5101 & LM 21.3

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ellenmarie
Level 1
Level 1

HP smart-tank 5101 & LM 21.3

Post by ellenmarie »

How do I get my new HP smart-tank 5101 to talk to my Dell Optiplex 3010 running LM 21.3? I have the hplip software and am connected by USB to the printer but the hplip software doesn't find it.
michael-hi
Level 4
Level 4

Re: HP smart-tank 5101 & LM 21.3

Post by michael-hi »

Hello ellenmarie

Sorry you've not had an earlier response to your query. Hopefully after all this time you've got the printer up and running! But, if not, I see from this site:
https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... ices/index
that "HP Smart Tank 5100 series" is indeed supported by the hplip software. However, it is a fairly recent printer and that site says it needs version 3.23.3 of hplip. Unfortunately, Linux Mint only has version 3.21.12 as far as I can see and furthermore I can recall forum posts where people have quite often run into problems trying to replace the hplip in Mint with a newer version.

You have not said which hplip version you have but I'm assuming you only have 3.21.12, which may be why the printer is not detected. One option would be to use Driverless printing and scanning instead. In fact, I would have expected Mint to detect the printer as Driverless and install it automatically. Check you don't have any duplicate entries for the printer (and for the scanner) as one of them might just work. Otherwise, I would delete the existing printer instance and start again. Note that the installed ipp-usb package makes the computer see the USB as being like a network connection, so if you are offered a choice it might even be that the 'USB' option naming the HP device doesn't work but the 'network' one does.

If you want to go down the alternative route of a newer hplip, it may be best to research other forum posts first. It could be that the hplip driver gives finer control over the particular options of your printer. On the other hand, Driverless should just work - and do so without requiring the extra plugin download that hplip needs for your model according to the site linked above (probably a plugin for the scanner to work).

Note that if using hplip over USB you will need to delete the usb-ipp package sudo apt remove ipp-usb for the HP drivers to work. I suppose you could temporarily try that now (in case the existing hplip might give some functionality at least). However, it probably won't work, so for Driverless you would need to restore the package with sudo apt install ipp-usb.

Sorry if this is a bit confusing but hope it is of some help.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”