HP Printer: Device is busy, powered down, or unplugged

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TheTubaGeek
Level 1
Level 1

HP Printer: Device is busy, powered down, or unplugged

Post by TheTubaGeek »

My HP LaserJet M15 is getting installed onto my PC, but it keeps returning this error message. I decided to download and attempt to install the latest HPLIP, but received the following messages during installation:

Code: Select all

note: Installation of dependencies requires an active internet connection.
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libjpeg (libjpeg - JPEG library)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libtool (libtool - Library building support services)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: cups-devel (CUPS devel- Common Unix Printing System development files)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: cups-image (CUPS image - CUPS image development files)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: python3-devel (Python devel - Python development files)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libnetsnmp-devel (libnetsnmp-devel - SNMP networking library development files)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libcrypto (libcrypto - OpenSSL cryptographic library)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: python3-pyqt4 (PyQt 4- Qt interface for Python (for Qt version 4.x))
warning: This installer cannot install 'python3-pyqt4' for your distro/OS and/or version.
When I try to install these dependencies using

sudo apt install
I get messages stating that the package could not be located. If I use the CUPS interface, I can print a test page, but not anything else.

Is there something I am missing to get it to work? It was working previously but now I can't get it to work at all. I've tried connecting to both a powered hub and my PC directly, but got the same message.
BillyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Re: HP Printer: Device is busy, powered down, or unplugged

Post by BillyLinux »

Just to begin with, lets take those messages at face value.
The first

note: Installation of dependencies requires an active internet connection
suggests for one reason or another HPLIP did not think your PC and/or printer was connected to your router and onwards to the internet. So the subsequent messages are just "warnings" which suggests you should install manually, which you subsequently tried. Oddly, the packages not being located could be due to a number of factors. I wonder what you have set as your "source" for packages.
Could you try again with an ethernet cable?
When you say it was working previously, what is it that changed between when it was and when it isn't? What prompted you to try reinstalling?
It may also be worthwhile doing a

sudo apt update
and a

sudo apt full-upgrade
I am just one of the volunteers for a UK charity https://abilitynet.org.uk/
who provides free IT support to older people and disabled people of any age, anywhere in the UK.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”