Confused about running games on Linux

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
noob1234
Level 2
Level 2

Confused about running games on Linux

Post by noob1234 »

Hi,

So I installed Linux a about a week ago. I then installed Steam. I've also installed Wine, and something called Lutris.

Somewhere along the line, I tested a game called Doom Eternal on this system. It worked.

I just tried it today, after not using this system for a couple of days, and in the Steam window, it says Doom Eternal is running, but I cant see any evidence of it running anywhere.

This time round, I launched it from the Steam interface. I'm not sure how I launched it previously.

My problems: 1) Why is it not running now. 2) Should I been running it with/from/alongside Wine/Lutris.

I've also read a thread related to gaming on Linux mentioning something about program presumably like Lutris called 'eggs' ?

Why do there seem to be so many programs for doing the same thing?

Also, where does 'Proton' fit into all this?

Can anyone help?

Update: So it seems that if I disable Opensnitch Firewall thing, it runs fine. Odd. Steam was set to offline mode. Could Opensnitch be blocking something else? Is something connecting to 'localhost' ?
Last edited by noob1234 on Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.” —IBM Manual, 1925
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Confused about running games on Linux

Post by xenopeek »

Doom Eternal works well for many Linux users, but not for all: https://www.protondb.com/app/782330. You can try setting the game to use Proton Experimental if it's not already using that.

Proton is Wine with added technologies (like Vulkan) and patches to make running Windows games on Linux work as seamless as possible with Steam.
noob1234
Level 2
Level 2

Post by noob1234 »

Hi thanks. So i have Proton Experimental installed, if I just open steam, and run Doom Eternal, is Proton launched automatically?
“All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.” —IBM Manual, 1925
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

is Proton launched automatically?
Proton is not a program that "launches".
It is a compatibility layer / mechanism that the game uses to make API calls to the operating system.
It "translates" Windows-related stuff to Linux equivalent.
Steam packages their games to work with Proton. You don't do anything or launch anything.
Not all games work equally well with Proton.
They have a database: https://www.protondb.com/
Even if a game is "gold" or "platinum" it still may not work for you.
noob1234
Level 2
Level 2

Post by noob1234 »

Ok, thanks.

Any idea why Doom Eternal only runs when I disable Opensnitch?

Also, is Opensnitch a different firewall to GUFW?

Also in Opensitch there is a 'pause' button. i'm assuming that turns it off. But if it does, whats the icon (looks like a shield) that takes you to the panel that says 'Firewall' where you can also turn something off?
Ta.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Steam Play uses Proton automatically for configured titles.

For configuration and defaults open Steam > Settings > Compatibility.
- is Steam Play enabled for supported titles? That lets you run verified Windows games on Linux - games that Valve tested, these run with latest Proton stable
- is Steam Play enabled for other titles? That lets you run all Windows games on Linux - you can check on protondb.com how well they will work
- which Proton version are other titles set to run with? This is the default used for unverified games

On the game itself open Properties > Compatibility and you can force a specific Steam Play (Proton) version there.

If the game still won't launch set the launch options in Properties > General to PROTON_LOG=1 %command% and then try running it again. It will create a file steam-<gameID>.log in your home directory that you can try to find the cause in.
noob1234
Level 2
Level 2

Post by noob1234 »

Hi again, tk=hanks for your patience. Perhaps you didnt see my update--> 'by noob1234 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:45 pm'

I've already got the game running, i'm trying to find out why disabling Opensnitch made it work.

Ideally, which program in Opensnitch I need to unblock.

Ta
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

Firewalls are optional on Linux.
We usually use them for opening ports not blocking apps.
Opensnitch in particular looks like a Windows personal firewall gimmick for newcomers to Linux who feel insecure without one.
Still, Opensnitch's readme on Github shows that it can list all apps which try to establish connections. So Opensnitch itself should give you all the information you want. No matter if Steam is set to offline mode, most video games connect to their studio/publisher for news, updates, ads, have multiplayer components, or, worse, you have to log in with another, additional to Steam, launcher in order to use them.
noob1234
Level 2
Level 2

Post by noob1234 »

Mizog: If i'm running any windows program on my system, then as far as i'm concerned I need an application-level firewall. That's whether my OS is windows or Linux.
noob1234
Level 2
Level 2

Post by noob1234 »

So ive been through opensnitch settings, and when I allow this program through the firewall:-

'steam-debian-installation-steamapps-common-proton-experimental-files-bin-wine64-preloader'

..which connects to various servers around the world, the game launches properly.

That rather negates the 'Run steam OFFLINE' mode doesn't it!

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Update: Not a solution, but once game has actually launched, I can block all the steam crap in firewall and game still runs.

Hope someone solves this properly!
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 1000 »

If you have any concerns about the number of connections from the game, talk to the developers of this game.

I personally don't have this game
I don't have opensnitch
I probably don't have bin-wine64-preloader
And I have Steam from apt repository.

You can also check https://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/d ... 426716701/

I use an application made from " sticks " ( maybe with lsof ) to track only new connections and only from new process.
I wouldn't be able to track all the calls. There are so many of them.

1. Browser.
Please note that when entering the website you have a question about cookies and a list of analytical companies in the settings.
Sometimes there are a lot of them. And sometimes it is not possible to load a website without accepting cookies.

2. Games.
Steam also has a built-in browser. But this one is mainly used for the Steam store.
Additionally, running some games causes a very large number of connections.
( maybe - more processes using the Internet )
I didn't ask. I suppose also for analytical purposes.
In two different games I noticed similar connections,
which makes me think they use something shared.
Today's world is complicated, this something may be a separate application that allows you to run non-native games.
These are just my guesses and don't have to be true.

Edited
Maybe you need a guide?
I don't use it, so it's hard for me to give you the right one.
- https://github.com/evilsocket/opensnitc ... ng-started
noob1234
Level 2
Level 2

Post by noob1234 »

Thanks for the steam link. Not very useful, but nice to know i'm not 'the only one'.

The difference between that poster & myself, is that this game, in fact Steam itself, is set to run in offline mode. Perhaps you missed that in my previous posts. ergo, if its set to offline, nothing should be connecting out.

Also, another potential difference, that poster says than when he /she denies the connection, their game still runs. Whether they've denied the connection before or after launch is not stated. Doom Eternal on this sytem does not launch if the connection is denied at launch. As stated, if I allow connection out, game starts, only then can I block the connection, whereupon the game will continue to run.

Just to add, if i leave all the other steam connections blocked, leaving only the proton related 'service' open, the game starts.
And, in windows, because obviously proton is not used there, all steam connections are blocked, and the game launches without issue.

Sorry, can't make head nor tail of the rest of your post!

Thanks though!
Last edited by noob1234 on Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 1000 »

Perhaps you missed that in my previous posts. ergo, if its set to offline, nothing should be connecting out.
I gave an example of how data collection by websites in web browsers works.
I also gave an example that games can also collect information.
Nobody said that an offline game can't collect information.
For example, one of my games is " The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt "
I guess I don't use the server to play. But before launching the game, their launcher runs.
This shows their website or something similar, so it needs an internet connection.
In addition (outside of analytical purposes),
it can check other things, for example,
- whether I have the correct key
- or whether the game is up to date
- whether the game does not create new bugs in log.
These are just my guesses.

If you think that your game should definitely not connect to the Internet, then talk to the game developers.
Edited
Or talk to the developers of the application you use to run this game.
noob1234
Level 2
Level 2

Post by noob1234 »

"Nobody said that an offline game can't collect information."

True, but should they? I don't think so. And i'm sure many people would agree. You however appear to be of the opinion that they should?

"If you think that your game should definitely not connect to the Internet, then talk to the game developers."

Is this down to the game developers though?

Ah I see you've made an edit. Ok, wouldn't it be nice if I didn't have to though?
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 1000 »

- Data collection should always be permitted with mutual consent.
Application developers should be the ones
who should transparently demonstrate that their applications are safe, not me.
Tools like opensnitch and others allow you to discover new connections.
So you decide whether the application will run or not.
My opinion doesn't matter here.
Conclusion: users should get or demand information if they need it.

- You don't have to talk to the app developers if you don't want,
it was just a suggestion if you're looking for more information.

Edited
Is this down to the game developers though?
I don't know this game, but I mentioned that generally developers can use third-party companies to port the game to Linux.
( What I mean is that their code could have been added to the main application. )
Additionally, they can cooperate with companies dealing with ati-cheat
or something else, what about I have no idea.
noob1234
Level 2
Level 2

Post by noob1234 »

I see.

Top & bottom of it is, I can play Doom Eternal offline without any kind of internet connection whatsoever on Microsoft Windows, but with my current level of knowledge, understanding and installed software on Linux, I cannot.

If anyone can remedy that, please let me know :)
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 1000 »

I did some searching on the internet
- The game does not have an offline mode, but " sometimes " it works without the Internet.
Without internet, when the login screen pops up, just type anything.

- Will quote directly
Offline play works, but you have to go online periodically to obtain an offline token for Denuvo.
Denuvo = " anti-tamper and digital rights management (DRM) system "

- The game has at least one update, maybe anti-cheat update.
So some things may have changed.

- You can test " Steam in offline mode ", because I seen
https://www.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/ ... t_loading/
but I don't guarantee that it will run this game.
noob1234
Level 2
Level 2

Post by noob1234 »

Thanks for the info, but Denuvo was meant to have already been removed from the game in previous patches.

I did wonder why, quite some time ago, I did in fact have to log back into steam to play it, because it wouldn't launch, your info explains why!

Ta.

Return to “Gaming”