Disable single instance of applications and windows

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CJRoss
Level 1
Level 1

Disable single instance of applications and windows

Post by CJRoss »

If I have an application open, such as terminal, and I click on the panel icon, it focuses the current window instead of opening a new one. How can I disable this? Also, how can I stop the icons from bunching together as well as get them to show a name/title?
senjoz
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Disable single instance of applications and windows

Post by senjoz »

It looks like you wish to have a traditional panel layout with launchers. In LM 20.x it is available in Menu - Preferences - Welcome Screen - First Steps. If I remember correctly, the LM 21.x Welcome Screen does not have that option. There you should add the Window List applet to the panel. To open a new application window from the panel you should add the Panel Launchers applet and add applications to it.
Screenshot from 2024-02-21 17-16-23.png
CJRoss
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CJRoss »

Thanks. It was set with grouped window list. I was able to remove that and add the two you mentioned, but now everything is smashed to the right.

I turned on panel edit mode but it's difficult to determine what panels I have and where they are located. Is there an easy way to tell and arrange them?
senjoz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by senjoz »

In Panel edit mode you can move (drag) applets with the mouse.
CJRoss
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CJRoss »

I tried that but I'm not having any luck. Not sure if I'm not grabbing in the right place or what.

When I turn on panel edit, I get the following. A red LM logo, a big blank space, then a green square, a small blank space, then the launcher, followed by the windows and then the rest of the icons.

Return to “Software & Applications”