Dogs and HDDs, nice combination - NOT

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Dogs and HDDs, nice combination - NOT

Post by AZgl1800 »

January 2nd, I got in my truck and took off to Utah to help my sister, who's husband had passed suddenly.

I have two 8TB SeaGate Hub drives that I use for backups......

both were in fine fettle when I left.....
when I got home, seven weeks later, one won't boot up, the other is having a Hacking Coughing fit, but it boots up and appears to be "okay"

BUT,
I am ordering some more to give me more backups for the backup.

Asked what happened to them?
"oh, the dogs got in a fight, and they knocked over your wall cabinet, and everything hit the floor.

concrete floor with wood overlay...
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Dogs and HDDs, nice combination - NOT

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

OUCH! You have the right idea to get more drives so you can have "backups" of your backups (more like multiple backups).

One of the reasons I ditched HDDs several years ago for SSDs is SSDs can usually survive a fall (to a point, depending on how high they fall from or how they land). Even though the little jewels are rugged, I still keep mine in padded containers; call it justifiable paranoia.

Also, the old adage about keeping all your eggs in one basket applies here. Keep those multiple backup drives in multiple places, one offsite if possible.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

the
HDD hub drive that failed is about 15 years old, the other is maybe half that?

going SSD now though.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Dullard du Jour
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dullard du Jour »

If you really need that data back then you can give Louis Rossman a call.

Rossman Repair Group

Would require shipping the drive to Texas.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Lou77 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:09 pm If you really need that data back then you can give Louis Rossman a call.

Rossman Repair Group

Would require shipping the drive to Texas.
the most valuable HDD survived, I tested it later, and HOMI is working perfect, backup up /home

looking at ordering an 8TB SSD made in the USA up in Minnesota, a "OYEN" branded device.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

My guess, anytime something is afoul -- blame it on the dog
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

No.
Blame it on a fowl.
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit+ 10yo Lenovo NAS for backup
shedyed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shedyed »

The dogs had been peering at those LED indicators. "Time for an upgrade" they thought. What was that? triggered the whole thing.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Not just dogs. One of my cats (sadly recently departed) fell off the TV and landed on the ancient NAS a few too many times. Luckily I still have the original HDD from it which was failing but still readable once it eventually initialized. I'll see if Linux can read that one as I don't know where I put the NAS.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

BG405 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:24 pm Not just dogs. One of my cats (sadly recently departed) fell off the TV and landed on the ancient NAS a few too many times. Luckily I still have the original HDD from it which was failing but still readable once it eventually initialized. I'll see if Linux can read that one as I don't know where I put the NAS.
Cats like to lay where it is warm and, other than a patch of sunlight through a window, what better place to toast their tummy than the top of a running PC? I can't help but wonder how many PCs have died from overheating due to a cat planting itself on top of them, blocking cooling air flow.
Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald on Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

It's only a small WD NetCenter (anyone remember those? Slow as a desiccated slug) which sat next to the TV stand where the router is. She kept slipping off the glass top of the TV and landed on it once or twice. The TV is right under the bottom skylight up here in the loft space, a sun trap.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Open Chat”