It’s official ..... I’m not a computer nerd !!!

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Re: It’s official ..... I’m not a computer nerd !!!

Post by RollyShed »

Newbie221 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:50 pmSo last night at dinner I ask my wife to ask around at work if anyone has a desktop they want to get rid of.
So you will take one? Note that is one dozen desktops. However if you want two, that's two dozen desktops. Just back your car / van up tomorrow and I'll throw them in.

LibreOffice and yes, OpenOffice before that. There was Abiword too as far as I remember and also the word "free" which I always spell in capitals, FREE.

Need to edit a PDF? Yes had to edit more than 100 and used LibreOffice, open the PDF with Writer (or think you have) and there in Draw is a perfectly editable PDF.

If it must, save as .docx but nice to be able to annoy some and use ODT. If good enough for Europe and NATO, good enough for me.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: It’s official ..... I’m not a computer nerd !!!

Post by AZgl1800 »

Peter Linu wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:25 pm
Probably, but just know it isn't 100%. You may still have to launch specific programs and re-set certain settings options.
I am relatively new to Aptik. Will each program alert me to changing settings?
No,
there is no alert for Preferences,
the main object of Aptik to is make sure your DE on the new OS is exactly like the one you were using to make the Backup.

IF, some of your Apps were installed manually via a DEB or PPA, not supported in the Mint Repository, you will get a List of those Apps at the end of Aptik's run.

they will be Outlined with the * character, to make it obvious that you need to copy/paste into a Text document for reference after you close Aptik.

then you can reinstall them easily.
I always keep such Apps in my Downloads folder by name, and /Home is a dedicated partition, so it is never lost.

Earlier in this thread, there is mention of how to copy and keep your Preferences, check that out.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Open Chat”