Whose idea was it for ADS?

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
thatchunkylad198966
Level 2
Level 2

Whose idea was it for ADS?

Post by thatchunkylad198966 »

The home/main page is riddled with ads. POP up ones too that force me to click the actual AD.
My uBlock wasn't working so I had to remove it and enable it again.....

Wow, can't believe you're actually forcing ADS onto us.

What happened?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Whos idea was it for ADS?

Post by SMG »

thatchunkylad198966 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:38 pmWow, can't believe you're actually forcing ADS onto us.

What happened?
There have always been ads on the forum. However, they were just along the top banner (which is the only place they are enabled to be in the forum software). Once in a while there might be an overlay ad.

The source of the recent plethora of ads appearing every few posts is being investigated.

If you use Firefox, setting the Privacy to "Strict" should remove the ads.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
thatchunkylad198966
Level 2
Level 2

SMG wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:46 pm
thatchunkylad198966 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:38 pmWow, can't believe you're actually forcing ADS onto us.

What happened?
There have always been ads on the forum. However, they were just along the top banner (which is the only place they are enabled to be in the forum software). Once in a while there might be an overlay ad.

The source of the recent plethora of ads appearing every few posts is being investigated.

If you use Firefox, setting the Privacy to "Strict" should remove the ads.
I remember seeing it at the top (the banner so to say) but not half way down the main/home page, in-between forum sections. :?
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

In Android the Forum is presented in Chrome with frequent annoying full screen pop-ups with inconspicuous "x" button or "Close" button and in-between index page ads. Considering the touch-screen interface it's easy to open an ad by mistake.
-=t42=-
thatchunkylad198966
Level 2
Level 2

Very annoying. And I agree with the above, browsing from an Android phone is pure pain.

What happened to it only being the banner? :lol:
NFA
Level 3
Level 3

Post by NFA »

Talk about favoritism!

No-one shows me ADS.
It takes considerable knowledge, just to realize the extent of my own ignorance. -- Thomas Sowell
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

NFA wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:28 am No-one shows me ADS.
Most of us know how to block ADs effectively. The point is I'm OK with limited advertising which helps to run the website, that costs a lot. And on many devices used for web browsing it is not always possible or appropriate to change set-up.
-=t42=-
NFA
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Whose idea was it for ADS?

Post by NFA »

t42 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:46 am
Most of us know how to block ADs effectively. The point is I'm OK with limited advertising which helps to run the website, that costs a lot. And on many devices used for web browsing it is not always possible or appropriate to change set-up.
Sorry t42... I should have put up a smiley face and now I feel guilty for not allowing the ads.... :lol:
It takes considerable knowledge, just to realize the extent of my own ignorance. -- Thomas Sowell
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I run chromium and have ublock installed. I never see any ads. I do see them on my iphone.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

thatchunkylad198966 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:53 am... but not half way down the main/home page, in-between forum sections. :?
That is because they were not there before. We know it is bad and we are trying to figure out how to get it back to the way it was.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

NFA wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:51 am
Sorry t42... I should have put up a smiley face and now I feel guilty for not allowing the ads.... :lol:
What's really amusing to me is that people expect free content from organizations who have to pay for servers to provide it and then whine about ads. How do you expect them to pay for server time? :lol: :roll:
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
thatchunkylad198966
Level 2
Level 2

Hoser Rob wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:56 pm
NFA wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:51 am
What's really amusing to me is that people expect free content from organizations who have to pay for servers to provide it and then whine about ads. How do you expect them to pay for server time? :lol: :roll:
:lol: I'm all for reasonable ADS, but putting them in a section where you can't click off it, is annoying.

Whatever.

I'm forgetting - you click forums.linuxmint.com and without even doing anything an AD is forced onto you and you have to click it to get off it.

You think that's fine??????????? :lol: :?
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

thatchunkylad198966 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:38 pm The home/main page is riddled with ads.
+1 ! I totally agree with you. It looks really bad.
thatchunkylad198966 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:38 pm My uBlock wasn't working so I had to remove it and enable it again...
Eh!? This advertising overexposure is precisely what convinced me to install this uBlock Origin, on Firefox. Now everything is clean, there are no more advertisements. Nothing! :)
The future Linux Mint Forums is here.
Self-Appointed Benevolent Designer on Linux Mint Cinnamon.
fstjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by fstjohn »

I use Waterfox with Ublock and the Goodly Mint extension (highly recommended). I never see ads. Perhaps the extension blocks them? I use a desktop and never access the forum with my phone.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”