[SOLVED]PDF prints from Firefox pixelated / blurry

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TriggerDingus
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED]PDF prints from Firefox pixelated / blurry

Post by TriggerDingus »

Firstly, I would like to state this problem isn't specifically with LMDE, Mint, etc. I had this same issue on Pop! and so I believe the issue to be related to Firefox. I've typically just worked around the issue and I switch to a Chromium browser when I need to print a PDF to file.

The issue I've always had, regardless of the distro I'm on, is that when printing PDFs to disk they end up rendered poorly. I was a programmer in the old days, but that was a long time ago and I don't dare speculate on the cause but I've localized the problem to Firefox and it's forks (Librewolf). I don't have this issue with Chromium (Brave) PDF prints.

To eliminate the potential it's a viewer thing, I tried other viewers and it seems GIGO - garbage in, garbage out. The Firefox PDFs are the issue and it doesn't matter the viewer I use to view them since the results are the same.

I've attached three examples of the PDFs generated from:
  • Librewolf (Firefox)
    Firefox
    Brave (Chromium)
Any knowledge or solutions would be appreciated.
Attachments
BRAVE version - Linux Mint Forums - Search.pdf
(114.56 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
FIREFOX version - Linux Mint Forums - Search.pdf
(169.61 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
LIBREWOLF version - Linux Mint Forums - Search.pdf
(169.61 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Last edited by TriggerDingus on Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Re: PDF prints from Firefox pixelated / blurry

Post by axisofevil »

But what are using to generate those PDF's?
I told Firefox to print to a file.
So the following isn't fantastic - but its OK.
Typically a screen might "only" display 96 pixels/inch - sometimes more, but fonts and images aren't going to achieve a printers 600 or 1200 dpi.
BTW - I've got it set to not print backgrounds.
Attachments
output.pdf
(81.62 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
TriggerDingus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TriggerDingus »

I'm using the same feature in Firefox and Chromium: File > Print > Save to PDF
I'm not using any additional software other than the browser itself.

Additional info: This is a brand-new installation of LMDE. I'm just finishing a hop from Pop! OS, where I experienced the same behavior (as described in my original post, above).
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

No noticeable quality differences between Firefox's print-to-file and Brave's in my LMDE system.
Firefox simply does not include the whole page, only the main pane without user avatars on the right side :?
firefox.pdf
(69.83 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
brave.pdf
(169.85 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
TriggerDingus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TriggerDingus »

MiZoG wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:05 pm No noticeable quality differences between Firefox's print-to-file and Brave's in my LMDE system.
Firefox simply does not include the whole page, only the main pane without user avatars on the right side :?

firefox.pdf

brave.pdf
Its so strange others don't seem to experience the same issue as I do with printing in Firefox. I don't recall having this issue with other machines or OSs. I'm beginning to wonder if Firefox checks if I have an old System76 Gazelle..."oh, this guy has an old System 76 Gazelle"... and then prints garbage because it doesn't like my machine. :)
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

[wry comment] It's more likely your System 76 saying "This bloke is not using an Apple OS so I'm gonna stuff it up to force him to come 'home'" [/wry comment]
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
bin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bin »

Have you installed printer-driver-cups-pdf?

So far you have established that one browser technology borks the output and one doesn't. However there is no common ground between the two.

If you use cups-pdf then (in theory) you should be able to get a better comparison.

Having said that I can see no differences on my own machine.

Do you use scaling at all when saving to pdf?
TriggerDingus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TriggerDingus »

bin wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:33 am Have you installed printer-driver-cups-pdf?

So far you have established that one browser technology borks the output and one doesn't. However there is no common ground between the two.

If you use cups-pdf then (in theory) you should be able to get a better comparison.

Having said that I can see no differences on my own machine.

Do you use scaling at all when saving to pdf?
Thanks for the suggestions! I have played with the scaling upon printing and the results don't change. Fit-to-page, 100%, etc..
Even stranger, at your suggestion I installed Printer-driver-cups-pdf and tried again and the output was exactly the same. (see attached)
Attachments
Printer-Driver-CUPS-PDF Output.pdf
(168.81 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

Do your settings look like:-
Screenshot from 2024-02-29 15-18-55.png
If not, what do the available settings say?
TriggerDingus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TriggerDingus »

axisofevil wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:27 am Do your settings look like:-
Screenshot from 2024-02-29 15-18-55.png
If not, what do the available settings say?
See captures from both my Firefox browsers: 1) Librewolf 2) Firefox
Attachments
Librewolf.png
Firefox.png
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

Try changing PDF files to "always ask" - and the default to "Ask whether to open or save files".

Don't know if this will fix it...
TriggerDingus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TriggerDingus »

axisofevil wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:15 pm Try changing PDF files to "always ask" - and the default to "Ask whether to open or save files".

Don't know if this will fix it...

It didn't fix it, but it sure was worth a shot!
bin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bin »

Just out of interest, please could you provide output from

Code: Select all

inxi -SMmCGx
Thanks
TriggerDingus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TriggerDingus »

bin wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:07 am Just out of interest, please could you provide output from

inxi -SMmCGx
Thanks
Here you go:

System:
  Host: gazelle Kernel: 6.1.0-18-amd64 arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
    v: 12.2.0 Desktop: Cinnamon v: 6.0.4 Distro: LMDE 6 Faye
    base: Debian 12.1 bookworm
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: System76 product: Gazelle v: gaze15 serial: 123456789
  Mobo: System76 model: Gazelle v: gaze15 serial: 123456789 UEFI: coreboot
    v: 2022-11-21_b337ac6 date: 11/14/2022
Memory:
  RAM: total: 31.22 GiB used: 3.81 GiB (12.2%)
  Array-1: capacity: 64 GiB slots: 4 EC: None max-module-size: 32 GiB
    note: est.
  Device-1: Channel-1-DIMM-0 type: DDR4 size: 32 GiB speed: 2667 MT/s
CPU:
  Info: 6-core model: Intel Core i7-10750H bits: 64 type: MT MCP
    arch: Comet Lake rev: 2 cache: L1: 384 KiB L2: 1.5 MiB L3: 12 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 800 min/max: 800/5000 cores: 1: 800 2: 800 3: 800 4: 800
    5: 800 6: 800 7: 800 8: 800 9: 800 10: 800 11: 800 12: 800 bogomips: 62399
  Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel CometLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics] vendor: CLEVO/KAPOK
    driver: i915 v: kernel arch: Gen-9.5 bus-ID: 00:02.0
  Device-2: NVIDIA TU117M vendor: CLEVO/KAPOK driver: nouveau v: kernel
    arch: Turing bus-ID: 01:00.0 temp: 52.0 C
  Device-3: Chicony USB2.0 Camera type: USB driver: uvcvideo bus-ID: 1-8:5
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.9 driver: X:
    loaded: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa dri: iris gpu: i915 resolution:
    1: 1920x1080~60Hz 2: N/A
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6 Mesa 22.3.6 renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics (CML GT2)
    direct-render: Yes
bin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bin »

OK, nothing obvious there.

So, what version FF are you using and is it flatpak or deb install?

What I would be tempted to try is:-
1. Close FF then rename. ~/.mozilla to ~/.mozilla.bak
2. Start FF and see if the PDF output is still bad.

If it is then I would download a .tar.bz2 file from https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/a ... op-release

Delete the fresh ~/.mozilla created by 2. and then extract and run the tar file locally.

Again, any difference?
TriggerDingus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TriggerDingus »

bin wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:41 am OK, nothing obvious there.

If it is then I would download a .tar.bz2 file from https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/a ... op-release

Delete the fresh ~/.mozilla created by 2. and then extract and run the tar file locally.

Again, any difference?
I'll give your recommendations a try this weekend and let you know.

The Librewolf I run is a Flatpak 122.0.1-2.
The version of Firefox is the default installation provided by the LMDE ISO that I just installed about a week ago:
Screenshot from 2024-03-02 11-45-19.png
Screenshot from 2024-03-02 11-45-19.png (29.18 KiB) Viewed 479 times
PS - It says in that Firefox window that updates are disabled by administrator. I'm not sure what that means since updates aren't disabled on my machine and they occur almost daily. I don't sweat it since I rarely (if ever) use straight FF - Librewolf is my default browser.
TriggerDingus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TriggerDingus »

bin wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:41 am OK, nothing obvious there.

Again, any difference?
I sat down with a gin and tonic with the intent to walk through your suggestions. Honestly, I know you had no idea what would happen and I had lost hope...but damned if it didn't work! I was shocked that it worked after the first try - only 2 minutes in!

What I did:
I renamed the profile directory, restarted and tried a PDF print. It worked!
Then, I restored my bookmarks and tried a PDF again...worked!
Then, I walked through all my FF settings changes (since I tend to neuter all telemetry and history settings) and tried again....worked!
So, Firefox appears to work just fine.

Moving on to Librewolf with renewed hope..
It's a Flatpak but since I got Firefox working with the system package, I did a search to find the DEB install since it isn't in the repos. They have one that you can get from their project site and so I did that and went through the same steps as with FF and it's working too!

NICE!! Thanks much for your engagement! I have no idea why only my FF browsers had this issue but I'm not looking back since it's solved and I can move on now.
bin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bin »

TriggerDingus wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:52 am I sat down with a gin and tonic with the intent to walk through your suggestions. Honestly, I know you had no idea what would happen and I had lost hope...but damned if it didn't work! I was shocked that it worked after the first try - only 2 minutes in!

What I did:
Then, I walked through all my FF settings changes (since I tend to neuter all telemetry and history settings) and tried again....worked!

It's a Flatpak but since I got Firefox working with the system package, I did a search to find the DEB install since it isn't in the repos. They have one that you can get from their project site and so I did that and went through the same steps as with FF and it's working too!

NICE!! Thanks much for your engagement! I have no idea why only my FF browsers had this issue but I'm not looking back since it's solved and I can move on now.
You're welcome. I was 80% sure it would work :D ...... I use LMDE6 but have used Firefox-ESR for years as I do not like the nasty surprises that the current releases can invariably bring. Once a problem is demonstrably down to FF then a fresh profile is always a good idea to clear the decks, it's just all the faff afterwards as you said.

As to why - well, the screenshots showed what looked like a low re thumbnail of the screen output. It looks like whatever is supposed to take the screen state and convert it to pdf got a bit borked. There's a bit of javascript that kicks it off but it's after that things go a bit wrong.

The bit about updates in the About box is fine - it just means it's a Mintified version rather than basic out of the box FF.

Please would you be so kind as to use the Solved checkbox to show this is now sorted?
TriggerDingus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TriggerDingus »

bin wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:19 am
TriggerDingus wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:52 am I sat down with a gin and tonic with the intent to walk through your suggestions. Honestly, I know you had no idea what would happen and I had lost hope...but damned if it didn't work! I was shocked that it worked after the first try - only 2 minutes in!

What I did:

You're welcome. I was 80% sure it would work :D ...... I use LMDE6 but have used Firefox-ESR for years as I do not like the nasty surprises that the current releases can invariably bring. Once a problem is demonstrably down to FF then a fresh profile is always a good idea to clear the decks, it's just all the faff afterwards as you said.

As to why - well, the screenshots showed what looked like a low re thumbnail of the screen output. It looks like whatever is supposed to take the screen state and convert it to pdf got a bit borked. There's a bit of javascript that kicks it off but it's after that things go a bit wrong.

The bit about updates in the About box is fine - it just means it's a Mintified version rather than basic out of the box FF.

Please would you be so kind as to use the Solved checkbox to show this is now sorted?
When I was writing up my last post, I was looking for a way to mark the topic as resolved but I can't see a checkbox or option to do that. I'm not sure if my account is missing options because I'm a newbie here? I'm used to Github where there's a box right out there in the open to do just that - but I don't see one on my side. Or, maybe I'm not looking in the right spot? :?:
TriggerDingus
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED]PDF prints from Firefox pixelated / blurry

Post by TriggerDingus »

I found that I'm supposed to type SOLVED in the title so apparently there is no checkbox.

Return to “Software & Applications”