Change files icons

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LEP-70
Level 1
Level 1

Change files icons

Post by LEP-70 »

Hello,
I am a new user of Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon.
The icons of some files (freecad, musescore, cura, but also Arduino) are text files and I can't modify them all automatically.
Most of these applications are flatpak, but others like Arduino are system packages. All were installed via the software manager.
I've searched on Google, but can't find anything conclusive. So my problem is either too simple or too complex for me (who is far from being a computer scientist).
What tips could you give me?
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Change files icons

Post by motoryzen »

The icons of some files (freecad, musescore, cura, but also Arduino) are text files and I can't modify them all automatically
Are you talking about the actual files that launch those programs? ( which would be .exe files if they were native Windows programs such as freecad.exe for an example)

If that is the case, they shouldn't be showing up as text file icons for those specific programlauncher files. Regardless you could do an internet search for each program, download the .png or .ico image file for it.

1. Then right click on the program launcher file itself
2. Properties
3. Then left click on the icon image in that pop up window just left of " Name " and browse to that downloaded .png or .ico image file,
4. click ok.

For some panel items I've found I must revisit the Properties window and click Ok on it again for the change to take effect.

Beyond that..I'm not yet sure.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

I must admit that I am rather unsure as to what you actually mean, but I will give a stab at providing a solution to what I think you mean.

Just about any icon can be manually altered, in Cinnamon, using Nemo (the File Manager).
To do this right mouse click on the item showing the unwanted icon and select properties.
A screen like below will appear..
ic1.png
Left mouse click on the offending icon & this screen will appear
ic2.png
Click on the Browse button and navigate to where your preferred icon is located (I keep all mine in a Folder called .icon in my /Home directory)
Double left mouse click on your new icon & then left mouse click on it in the new screen & Select, then close out the properties screen.
ic3.png
ic3.png (11.03 KiB) Viewed 352 times
LEP-70
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LEP-70 »

Thanks @motoryzen and @RIH.
I'm looking for arduino files (with .ino extension) to have the corresponding icon. Image
Same thing for other file types.
For the moment, I can change the icon by going to "properties", but this only modifies the icon for the file in question. but this only changes the icon for the selected file. I'd like this to apply to all files of the same type.
When I was using kubuntu, the change applied to all files. Now I think there's a problem somewhere else, but where?
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

Not very easy in Mint, I think.
This thread might give you some clues..
viewtopic.php?t=339232
or this one...
viewtopic.php?t=312962
LEP-70
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Change files icons [SOLVED]

Post by LEP-70 »

Thank you very much!
The second link (viewtopic.php?t=312962) is what I wanted to do.

To sum up, I've added the mimetypes folder corresponding to my theme (breeze) /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes. In each of the folders present (named 16, 22, 32 and 64), I pasted the image file, adapting its name. For an arduino file: text-x-arduino.svg.

I hope this helps other users.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”