Linux Mint forum font ??? [solved]

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
axrusar
Level 7
Level 7

Linux Mint forum font ??? [solved]

Post by axrusar »

Is it me or the forum fonts were changed today?
Trebuchet MS... what's up with that ampersand ? :lol: Titles and bold links using it look kind of odd and broken, not easy to read IMO
Please revert back to whatever was before.

What are other guys thoughts?
Last edited by axrusar on Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint Una Cinnamon 20.3 Kernel: 5.15.x | Quad Core I7 4.2Ghz | 24GB Ram | 1TB NVMe | Intel Graphics
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Linux Mint forum font ???

Post by xenopeek »

I think that's your own doing - did you install/remove system fonts or did you change the font settings in your browser?

Here is how it looks here:

axrusar
Level 7
Level 7

Post by axrusar »

I did run updates today from the software manager and rebooted the system. Looks the same on different web browsers i did not change the fonts in them.
Although i did install the MS fonts package a couple days ago ttf-mscorefonts-installer
Looking at a picture of Trebuchet MS, indeed the ampersand looks like i showed before https://www.cufonfonts.com/font/trebuchet-ms-2
So looks like i got some troubleshooting to do now huh.. :roll:
Can you please highlight the suggestions and feedback link again and check what font is being used?
I get this in brave:
Linux Mint Una Cinnamon 20.3 Kernel: 5.15.x | Quad Core I7 4.2Ghz | 24GB Ram | 1TB NVMe | Intel Graphics
axrusar
Level 7
Level 7

Post by axrusar »

Ok got it..

Fired a VM and the font looks right, then i installed ttf-mscorefonts-installer and the forum fonts got messed up like on my main system.
Removing the package fixes the issue.
Ill finish working with a few docs i need to use the MS fonts and then remove the package.
No biggie,
thank you
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Linux Mint forum font ??? [solved]

Post by xenopeek »

Ah, it looks like that is a hard coded in phpBB: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/blob/3.3 ... on.css#L30. It prioritizes Trebuchet MS when it is installed. Yuch.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint forum font ??? [solved]

Post by sebastjava »

xenopeek wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:30 pm Ah, it looks like that is a hard coded in phpBB (...)
I wouldn't call it "hardcoded", since it's CSS. CSS is meant to be overridden. It’s in their very nature, it’s written in their name: "Cascaded Styles Sheets". This means the last definition replaces the previous one, and so on.

On the other hand, this phpBB contains a huge mass of large CSS files. There are one or more different classes for each element. So, you would have to do a search for “font-family” in all of Prosilver’s 17 CSS files. We would thus find plenty of CSS selectors to overrride. It's doable, but it could take a few hours of work...

On a more personal note, I would add that this Prosilver, the base theme of phpBB, is too complex for my taste. CSS was created to lighten HTML coding and standardize presentations. So I have a hard time understanding why we have different styles for almost every element here... It's heavy!
The future Linux Mint Forums is here.
Self-Appointed Benevolent Designer on Linux Mint Cinnamon.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”