<SOLVED> Need help: Xfce Desktop is black\missing after the update

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
maroonkoi
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED> Need help: Xfce Desktop is black\missing after the update

Post by maroonkoi »

Hello, I'm running Linux Mint 21.3 Xfce edition on Asus T100 transformer tablet with touchscreen. After the last update the wallpaper and launcher icons are missing from my desktop, panel and cursor are present, the desktop is not clickable.
Here's screenshot. Would appreciate any help
Last edited by maroonkoi on Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Midnight True
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Need help: Xfce Desktop is black\missing after the update

Post by Midnight True »

maroonkoi wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:43 am
Can you open the terminal? if so please try the following:

Code: Select all

xfwm4 --replace
maroonkoi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maroonkoi »

yeah, terminal and everything else works just fine.

xfwm4 --replace
Waiting for current window manager (Xfwm4) on screen :0.0 to exit: Done
It changes nothing, the wallpaper and launcher icon are still missing, the desktop is not responding to LMB and RMB
michael-hi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by michael-hi »

You could try in a terminal:

xfdesktop --reload
and, if that fails:

sudo apt reinstall xfdesktop4 xfdesktop4-data
But make sure you have a full backup of all your personal files first (just in case).

EDIT: Reverting to a previous Timeshift snapshot, if you have one, is another option of course.
maroonkoi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maroonkoi »

Ran the

Reinstalled the xfdesktop4
Then rebooted the system, didn't help :(
Unfortunately this device is very memory limited and I keep only one snapshot per week, so I don't have a snapshot that would be far ago enough :(
michael-hi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by michael-hi »

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe it's automatically reloading a defective session each time you login. If you go to Menu > Settings > Session and Startup, do you have a tab for 'Saved Sessions' as shown in the example on this help page?
https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-sessio ... es#session

I don't have such a tab, presumably because I don't have any saved sessions, but if you do, then try clicking the button 'Clear Saved Sessions'.

Also, on the 'General' tab, make sure 'Automatically save session on logout' is NOT selected. And when you do logout, if there is a window giving options, make sure 'Save session for future logins' is not selected.

If it still doesn't work after a logout and login, then I would suggest posting your current System Info as there might be something in that that would give someone else an idea as to what is wrong. Go to System Reports in the menu and, on the System Information tab, click Copy and paste it here.
maroonkoi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maroonkoi »

michael-hi wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:23 am The only other thing I can think of is that maybe it's automatically reloading a defective session each time you login. If you go to Menu > Settings > Session and Startup, do you have a tab for 'Saved Sessions' as shown in the example on this help page?
https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-sessio ... es#session

I don't have such a tab, presumably because I don't have any saved sessions, but if you do, then try clicking the button 'Clear Saved Sessions'.

Also, on the 'General' tab, make sure 'Automatically save session on logout' is NOT selected. And when you do logout, if there is a window giving options, make sure 'Save session for future logins' is not selected.
It worked! Many thanks :D

Return to “Xfce”