Differences

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Differences

Post by TaterChip »

At the time Dad got fed up with Microsoft's heavy handedness (maybe 6 months ago) I was running Mint 21.1 XFCE, so that is what I installed on his machine. He's been as happy as a pig in slop ever since.

Yesterday he calls me up and wants to pull the trigger on a new Linux built laptop. Thanks to AZgl1800 I knew exactly where to send him. We put in the order to install Mint 21.1 XFCE because he didn't want to change what he had been accustomed to. Shortly after placing the order on Saturday they responded back saying they couldn't install the OS that he wanted. They said he needed 21.3 with the 6.x kernel because of the hardware.

Couldn't they have also installed the 6.x kernel into 21.1?

Anyway's.... what are the major changes between 21.1 and 21.3? Once he gets the machine in, he will be driving 10 hours for a visit and so I can get his new machine set up for him.

Thanks for your help
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Differences

Post by dave0808 »

TaterChip wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:21 am Couldn't they have also installed the 6.x kernel into 21.1?
Maybe they didn't know how.

I used 6.2 with my 21.2 system and am now using 6.5.
TaterChip wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:21 am Anyway's.... what are the major changes between 21.1 and 21.3?
Arguably there are no major differences between the point releases. Check the release notes for the headline changes and see if any of them are noteworthy for you.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

TaterChip wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:21 am...They said he needed 21.3 with the 6.x kernel because of the hardware.

It depends on the hardware. Some hardware needs the newer kernel to even have the install work.
TaterChip wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:21 amAnyway's.... what are the major changes between 21.1 and 21.3?
Check New Features: Linux Mint 21.2 Xfce and New Features: Linux Mint 21.3.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

thanks everyone
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

TaterChip wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:21 am ... Yesterday he calls me up and wants to pull the trigger on a new Linux built laptop. Thanks to AZgl1800 I knew exactly where to send him. We put in the order to install Mint 21.1 XFCE because he didn't want to change what he had been accustomed to. Shortly after placing the order on Saturday they responded back saying they couldn't install the OS that he wanted. They said he needed 21.3 with the 6.x kernel because of the hardware.

Of course they could have, or at least they should have been able to do it easily. I would never go to that place ever again.
.... what are the major changes between 21.1 and 21.3? Once he gets the machine in, he will be driving 10 hours for a visit and so I can get his new machine set up for him.
You're just talking about a couple of minor point release differences, there isn't going to be anything major really.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:37 pmOf course they could have, or at least they should have been able to do it easily.
Really? Please tell us more about the details of this hardware so we would understand why "of course they could have". OP did not provide any hardware information. I've helped multiple people on this forum who could not do that because of very new hardware.
Hoser Rob wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:37 pmYou're just talking about a couple of minor point release differences, there isn't going to be anything major really.
There was an upgrade from Xfce 4.16 to 4.18 in those "minor point releases".
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

SMG wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:47 pm Really? Please tell us more about the details of this hardware so we would understand why "of course they could have". OP did not provide any hardware information. I've helped multiple people on this forum who could not do that because of very new hardware.
That's because at this point, I have little knowledge of the hardware. He is getting the base model from here. https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/ ... nux-laptop

There was an upgrade from Xfce 4.16 to 4.18 in those "minor point releases".
Thanks for the info
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Yeah that one has the latest 13th gen processor, so you will certainly need the 6.5 or later kernel. I suggest the Mint Edge .iso since it will work, but be prepared for Cinnamon.
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:02 pm Yeah that one has the latest 13th gen processor, so you will certainly need the 6.5 or later kernel. I suggest the Mint Edge .iso since it will work, but be prepared for Cinnamon.
They suggested putting on 21.3 XFCE to work with their hardware. I suggested putting Cinnamon on it, but dad is having a hard time trying to get mom to adopt Linux, so he doesn't want to change up the DE and undo everything he has accomplished.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Here is what I did, I installed Mint and got it to halfway work, then added the OEM kernel which was much more modern. I think it is at 6.6 right now, but since Mint has the 6.5 it works on my current hardware. sudo apt install linux-oem-22.04d (or 22.04e) for the latest.
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

thanks

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”