Please bring 'Light Night' to Linux Mint

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
mininux
Level 1
Level 1

Please bring 'Light Night' to Linux Mint

Post by mininux »

Please, ladies and gentlemen of Linux mint, bring Ubuntu Light Night to Linux Mint so you can schedule the time to change the color temperature of the screen. I don't like Redshift and I have to use SCT.

Greetings
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Please bring 'Light Night' to Linux Mint

Post by Hoser Rob »

Do you mean Night Light? That's a Gnome feature, not Ubuntu. I'm running Debian 12 Gnome now and it's built into the desktop, and Debian ships with very vanilla desktops. I.e. they don't pimp them a bit like Ubuntu or Mint does. I do agree it should be built in, I use it all the time. My main laptop screen has a slight blue tinge.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Hoser Rob wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:44 pm Do you mean Night Light? That's a Gnome feature, not Ubuntu. I'm running Debian 12 Gnome now and it's built into the desktop, and Debian ships with very vanilla desktops. I.e. they don't pimp them a bit like Ubuntu or Mint does. I do agree it should be built in, I use it all the time. My main laptop screen has a slight blue tinge.
imo--
These tweaks could be better implemented in monitor level firmware itself.
color-tone, brightness, contrast, etc could be controlled by rgb sensors.
options would be via monitor software.
This would adjust to current ambient conditions as opposed to simply time-zone.
If I'm in a darker room I want less blue anywhere/anytime
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

all41 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:33 pm
Hoser Rob wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:44 pm Do you mean Night Light? That's a Gnome feature, not Ubuntu. I'm running Debian 12 Gnome now and it's built into the desktop, and Debian ships with very vanilla desktops. I.e. they don't pimp them a bit like Ubuntu or Mint does. I do agree it should be built in, I use it all the time. My main laptop screen has a slight blue tinge.
imo--
These tweaks could be better implemented in monitor level firmware itself.
color-tone, brightness, contrast, etc could be controlled by rgb sensors.
options would be via monitor software.
This would adjust to current ambient conditions as opposed to simply time-zone.
If I'm in a darker room I want less blue anywhere/anytime
Yup.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”