What is the best Virtual App in Mint to have Windows in it?

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DanRR
Level 1
Level 1

Re: What is the best Virtual App in Mint to have Windows in it?

Post by DanRR »

What QEMU out of suggested packages in LM repository to install (i have AMD EPYC processor, Linux Mint host)
Merrick

Post by Merrick »

DanRR wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:22 pm What QEMU out of suggested packages in LM repository to install (i have AMD EPYC processor, Linux Mint host)
I think,
For your AMD EPYC processor on Linux Mint, consider installing the QEMU package recommended in the LM repository for optimal compatibility.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

I'm using KVM/QEMU on a 12 year old desktop machine with an Intel i5375k cpu and 8G ram.
The whole requirement was installed simply by running

Code: Select all

sudo apt install virt-manager
All else needed was installed with the one command making the process just the one step.
Try it yourself!
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

Question: What is the best Virtual App in Mint to have Windows in it?

Answer: It depends. If you just want to run some Windows productivity apps like Office or so, I guess Vbox is the easiest way.

However, if you need top performance (near bare metal performance) for things like gaming, photo or video editing, then kvm / QEMU is the way to go. Just bear in mind that installing a VM using the kvm/QEMU tools libvirt and virt-manager (Virtual Machine Manager) isn't always so straightforward.

The second kvm/QEMU method is often referred to as PCI passthrough, GPU passthrough, or VFIO. Let's call it VFIO (you will find Reddit and other forums/groups under that name). In order to use VFIO, your hardware must support certain features. Most important is good IOMMU separation. It is also helpful to have a dedicated graphics card for your Windows virtual machine (VM).

I'm using PCI passthrough now for 12 years and have written several tutorials. The most recent is https://www.heiko-sieger.info/creating- ... ssthrough/. It also contains instructions for Intel hardware, so don't let the title discourage you.

But the first thing you should read is the following: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/iommu-gro ... -consider/

My tutorials are not meant for single GPU passthrough, but you'll find links to some useful tutorials.

While the technology evolves and today's virtualization toolbox offers more tools (for example virtio-fs shared file system), the basics stay more or less the same.

VFIO is a more demanding method of installing a Windows VM, but in the long run it may be worth it if you need the performance benefits. Aside from better performance (comparable to bare metal performance), VFIO - in conjunction with for example LVM - can provide easy VM backup and restore, migration to a different hardware platform, and more.

Hope this helps.
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/

Return to “Virtual Machines”