Tuxedo has a New Laptop

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Tuxedo has a New Laptop

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Nick on Linux Experiment just posted a video about a new laptop that is all AMD—no NVIDIA!—that some of you who are not fans of NVIDIA might find interesting. https://youtu.be/JAKm3-ijEBo

It's a 16" laptop with a 16.1" 16:9 display (Nick prefers 16:10 but I feel 16:9 is more practical, especially when using some software and/or external monitors, such as TVs). It's a bit pricey but, for that price, you get an all aluminum chassis and case (no plastic!; I've seen valid complaints about plastic laptop cases) that appears to be built like a brick outhouse.

Nick kept complaining about it having only up to 6 hours battery life. Tuxedo's website claims up to 10 hours if the WI-FI, BT, and keyboard back lighting are turned off and you are running medium display settings. Well, that's 6-10 times more battery life than I get from my behemoth of a laptop and is pretty good for a machine with more CPU and GPU power than my desktop. A machine this big and heavy is not exactly what I would call easily portable, such as when lugging it from class room to classroom all day. In a home or business setting, one is likely to find enough times when it could be plugged into to extend or conserve battery charge life.

Nick kept referring to it as a workstation laptop but I find this a bit much due to the paucity of I/O ports. However, one port on the rear is a 40Gbps USB port one could connect a USB hub into to gain more ports.

I'm impressed with it (on the surface, I wish Nick had opened it up to see how serviceable it is), which is why I'm sharing this. However, it has one glaring issues that makes it unsuitable for me: only two M.2 NVMe ports and I need four (and no one makes laptops that have four storage ports of any kind anymore). However, this won't be a problem for most people. My only other issue is Tuxedo is in Germany and, AFIK, they still use DHL for shipping (DHL has been very unreliable for me the past few years).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Joss
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Tuxedo has a New Laptop

Post by Joss »

I hate 16:9 with a vengeance.
16:10 all the way. Otherwise I'd rather go back to 4:3.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I want a 17" screen so I can SEE the text, not some puny piece of plastic crap.

this one is plastic, no more for me.
the case and lid are shattered, I glued them together with steel plates.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Joss wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:20 pm I hate 16:9 with a vengeance.
16:10 all the way. Otherwise I'd rather go back to 4:3.
And I hate 16:10 with a vengeance since TVs are usually 16:9, making mirroring to a TV, displaying photos taken in 16:9, etc. problematic. different strokes for different folks.

No way I would ever willingly go back to 4:3, though.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1800 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:52 pm I want a 17" screen so I can SEE the text, not some puny piece of plastic crap.

this one is plastic, no more for me.
the case and lid are shattered, I glued them together with steel plates.
I was thinking of you and your shattered laptop when I saw this new Tuxedo was pretty much all aluminum (only the screen bezel is plastic). :wink:

I also prefer 17" screens for the same reasons (actually 24" monitors are more my preference but kinda impractical for a lappy) but 16" is still better than 15". I could live with just about everything this lappy has except having room for only two drives. I would still like to take a look inside this thing. Easy serviceability is a big requirement for me.
Jeannie

RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

Their advert..
https://youtu.be/YVfaXePBTuI

A bit of a glimpse inside it..
https://youtu.be/z3c61GvpF20

Both very short videos..
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

RIH wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:54 pm Their advert..
https://youtu.be/YVfaXePBTuI

A bit of a glimpse inside it..
https://youtu.be/z3c61GvpF20

Both very short videos..
Thank you, especially for the peek inside. The DIMMs and SSDs appear to be easy to R&R; the battery not so much. I like to be able to remove a battery before opening up a laptop but that's not possible with this unit. That shouldn't be a deal breaker for most people, though. I could overlook it if the lappy could hold 4 SSDs since, once the bottom cover is off, the plug can be pulled on the battery cable.

This still appears to be a good choice for most people. However, I suggest waiting until it has been out for a while before considering pulling the trigger on it to see how the reviews are.
Jeannie

TitForTat
Level 1
Level 1
Location: Germany - thats where "Lederhosen" and "Bratwurst" is from!

Post by TitForTat »

This is very interesting! I am looking for a decent laptop to cut down my number of devices (powerful 4k gaming desktop pc, 2x laptops, tablets, steam deck). I was looking into the framework 13 laptop (to cut down on my gaming habits too) but I may kick myself in the behind later on, not being able to do at least some casual "on the couch" gaming (maybe adding an egpu later on?). Specs of the tuxedo latop seem on par with laptops having a rtx 4060. Price is a little higher but the build quality/connectivity seems to be better too. Not so sure on the 16 inch size and its weight (currently rocking a macbook air m1). The framework 13 seems to be much more repairable still (which I really like!). I am still not sure, if I should value mainboard/cpu upgradability as important. In some years time, I could upgrade and resell the old mainboard or at least make something out of it. Anyway, the tuxedo seems to be a pretty good offer!

Jeeeees.. too many chioces :lol:
berndinger
Level 2
Level 2

Post by berndinger »

I have this machine. Its really great with Mint 21.3.

Only when i closed the lid, suspend did not work. I needed the latest Tuxedo Kernel. Installed the tuxedo sources, installed the latest kernel,
and it worked...

Great Laptop.

cheers, Bernd
Linux Mint, what else....
TitForTat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TitForTat »

Yeah... what I was wondering... It makes more sense to run tuxedo os because of the optimazation and their control center. I dont see a way, how I could get the control center installed on mint or any other distro. Seems to be a tuxedo os exclusive application.

I could not find any info on repairability/support after the guarantee period. what if the touchpad breaks or my keyboard is worn out (happens quite fast with my devices :( ). They link to the lcd panel and may hook you up with a spare battery but I dont see a way that I could actually buy a replacement keyboad/touchpad/screen. On the other hand, that thing is even more powerful than the framework 13 (7840u vs 7840hs + 7600m xt). That should last a very long time with linux installed but in case of a failure, it cannot be fixed. That point goes to the framework... I really think about ordering both and returning the one I dont like. That would be a bit cumbersome though.

if I spec out both with the max cpu, 16gb ram, no ssd (because I got plenty here), 4 modules for the framework and power cord, the framework costs 1558€ and the tuxedo 1658€. Spec wise a no brainer for the tuxedo but there is more to it than just specs unfortunately.

good thing that I dont have to buy anything today or tomorrow :D
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Finding a laptop with more than 2 drive spaces is impossible these days. But the 16" laptops look to split the difference between 15.6 and 17.3" pretty nicely. If I needed one, it would be very attractive. Tuxedo OS seems nice, and has some optimizations for their hardware which makes it somewhat attractive. And it is also based on Ubuntu 22.04 and should get updated to 24.04 RSN.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

for me,
if the keyboard is not "easily replaceable", it is a no go, my fingernails chew up keycaps within a matter of weeks......

even though, I trim them to the quick pretty often

on this current laptop, an ASUS FX705, half of the keys now, do NOT even record a keystroke when pressed hard... I use an external keyboard on it... corded today, Wireless tomorrow soon.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

TitForTat wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:03 am Yeah... what I was wondering... It makes more sense to run tuxedo os because of the optimazation and their control center. I dont see a way, how I could get the control center installed on mint or any other distro. Seems to be a tuxedo os exclusive application...
Valid points. That's what going to happen on any computer that has a custom OS (or has been firmware locked to a specific OS, such as Macs or some recent Windows machines). After my issues with two System 76 machines, I'm leary of computers with a vendor's custom OS. What happens if the company goes belly up and the OS becomes unsupported? I would now buy such a computer now only if was prepared to jump through the hoops needed to get the machine working on another OS and accept that certain proprietary custom features would no longer be available.

TitForTat wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:03 am ...I could not find any info on repairability/support after the guarantee period. what if the touchpad breaks or my keyboard is worn out (happens quite fast with my devices :( )...
You could write them ask about their post warranty support.

That's going to be true of pretty much any computer you buy. Smaller companies may still be in business long enough to provide you with support past the warranty but smaller ones may go out of business, leaving you high and dry for custom parts if they go out of business. Some computer models may have long runs before being discontinued; others may be replaced within a short period of time (look at System 76, they completely replace their models every year now even though the new ones carry the same name :roll: ). You might be able to find used computers you can buy cheaply enough to use for spare parts, like the rednecks' parts cars (I've done that with my Clevo based laptops since they have been discontinued; does that make me a tech redneck? :? ). You just have to accept that laptops won't last forever (that's true of desktops, as well) and that some parts, like LCD screens, keyboards, touch screens, even graphics cards, etc. may no longer be available.

You also have to consider how far away service for a particular computer, especially laptops may be. Tuxedo is almost halfway around the world for me but almost local for you. If parts can be obtained, which is usually more likely to be true of desktops, you might be able to use local repair facilities if Tuxedo is not an option. Sometimes, bad parts can be upgraded to newer ones but that is far more likely with desktops than with laptops

I like the concept of the Framework's but, unless one has minimal needs, it's options are too limited. Heck, you can put only one standard 2280 M.2 SSD in them; the second SSD will only be a dinky M.2 2242, not exactly a common size. Then there is the question of how long will they stay in business. They aren't the first to offer modular PCs. I remember Razor had a modular desktop model a while back that was a spectacular flop (it was bizarrely futuristic looking).
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1800 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:12 pm ...even though, I trim them to the quick pretty often...
Gloves? I'm serious; that might help and gloves are easy to replace.

If you don't need the actual computer in front of you, say, while sitting in a recliner (and I'm not being critical or condescending; I use my computer to a limited degree from my bed) and can work with just a keyboard and mouse or touchpad with a monitor close enough and large enough to see, and you don't need portability all the time, then a desktop machine might be a better choice (or one of each). Desktop keyboards are easy to replace and can be inexpensive if you aren't a gamer or you wear out keys quickly enough to make El Cheapo keyboards practical. Wireless keyboards and mice won't tether you to the machine. If you need portability only occasionally, having one of each might not be a bad idea.
Jeannie

TitForTat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TitForTat »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:16 pm You could write them ask about their post warranty support.
That is what I just did. I am really curious to see their answer to my questions. Tuxedo is based in Augsburg Germany... I live approx 1-2h away... its like supporting a local company :lol:

What makes it difficult to decide is, that there are times, where I travel quite frequently. Like now... for my exams, I have to travel 2 weeks to another town. I would be damned without a somewhat portable device. I bring my current laptop with me, when I do some "work"/"study" related stuff to other places from time to time. I mostly use my current laptop and use my desktop pc only for some freetime shenanigans like gaming. It is off or idling quite often.

If all the work related things are cut out (if I get a corporate crappy windows laptop again for example), well... I am simply too lazy to sit infront of my desk. The main point for keeping my desktop is just the huge amount of replaceable parts (literally everything) and its performance (tinkering with parts is quite fun). I mean, its a 4k gaming machine. That is its downside at the same time. I like to get lost in tinkering and gaming, which is not that beneficial for me to say the least.

I think the use case for laptops and desktops overlap to 90% for most poeple (me included). Thats also why I try to decide on only ONE of those. And I get the feeling, that a laptop may be really the better choice. I think, liking to tinker with stuff is the reason why I may value upgradeability/replaceability/repairablity as much (and having recent stuff). Its like tinkering with a pc... but with a laptop (being able to diy/fix stuff). And than I see the different pricing and nothing makes sense anymore :lol:

Im somewhere in between pc and laptop, figuring out the better option of both. What a mess :roll:

Edit: just found that video from dave2d... not sure why I havnt found it earlier. He makes some good points on that whole upgradeability thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy5MWFrb0Y8&t=61s
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

TitForTat wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:15 pm ...Edit: just found that video from dave2d... not sure why I havnt found it earlier. He makes some good points on that whole upgradeability thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy5MWFrb0Y8&t=61s
I agree that he made some good points. For me, if it could be made to to fit my rather high end needs, it's attraction to me would be more for customizability rather than upgradability. Unfortunately, the modules are all proprietary. If they were blank modules that generic components could be installed into, then upgradability might be more practical.

One reason I prefer a desktop machine when I'm at home is they tend to be more durable than a laptop, are more easily repaired, and have parts that are easier to upgrade or replace. The PSU in my new desktop machine is warranted for ten years and will probably last longer than that. If it dies and is no longer available, it can be replaced with a different one since I'm not locked into that one PSU. I can replace all the "innards" such as CPU, graphics card, RAM, memory, either piecemeal or altogether as needed. Peripherals, such as keyboards, mice, displays, etc. are all replaceable and they don't have to be exact replacements. Someone comes out with a better keyboard? No problem to upgrade it with a desktop; pretty much impossible with a laptop.

However, desktop machines are not exactly what I would consider portable. That's where laptops shine (duh!).

For me, having both gives me the best of both worlds. Using the desktop when at home reduces wear and tear on the laptop. Wearing out the desktop is less of a problem for me than wearing out a laptop. The laptop can also serve as a backup machine when the desktop is down but will be most useful when on the road.
Jeannie

AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:27 pm
AZgl1800 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:12 pm ...even though, I trim them to the quick pretty often...

If you don't need the actual computer in front of you, say, while sitting in a recliner (and I'm not being critical or condescending; I use my computer to a limited degree from my bed) and can work with just a keyboard and mouse or touchpad with a monitor close enough and large enough to see, and you don't need portability all the time, then a desktop machine might be a better choice (or one of each). Desktop keyboards are easy to replace and can be inexpensive if you aren't a gamer or you wear out keys quickly enough to make El Cheapo keyboards practical. Wireless keyboards and mice won't tether you to the machine. If you need portability only occasionally, having one of each might not be a bad idea.
the laptop sits on a sidetable by the left front corner of the Recliner.
the kybd lays on my lap, for serious typing, I have to put the footrest down, and sit up straight.

for casual typing of a few words, I keep my feet elevated, to reduce the tendency for water retention.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1800 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:50 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:27 pm

the laptop sits on a sidetable by the left front corner of the Recliner.
the kybd lays on my lap, for serious typing, I have to put the footrest down, and sit up straight.

for casual typing of a few words, I keep my feet elevated, to reduce the tendency for water retention.
Maybe, instead of a laptop, you had a desktop computer setup somewhere stable nearby, close enough you could run a cable to a large monitor on the nightstand, then use a wireless keyboard and mouse (or touchpad). Mice and keyboards are cheaper and easier to replace than laptops or even laptop keyboards.

I frequently have to spend extra time in bed because I tend to retain water like Hoover Dam used to. The sad part is the only thing I retain well anymore is water.
Jeannie

Joss
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Joss »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:20 pm And I hate 16:10 with a vengeance since TVs are usually 16:9
What's a TV?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Joss wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:04 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:20 pm And I hate 16:10 with a vengeance since TVs are usually 16:9
What's a TV?
A TV (TeleVision) is a large display with a built-in tuner people use to watch TV shows from OTA (Over The Air) broadcasts or shows from cable or satellite dishes or, sometimes, is used as a computer monitor. The vast majority of homes in the SSA have them. They are also popular in sports bars for remotely watching sporting events.

Welcome to the 21st Century :roll:
Jeannie

Return to “Chat about Linux”