[Tutorial] How to install AMD GPU drivers in LMDE 6

Write tutorials for LMDE here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post please read forum rules
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

[Tutorial] How to install AMD GPU drivers in LMDE 6

Post by Michael_Hathaway »

[Tutorial] How to install AMD GPU drivers in LMDE 6 without modifying your kernel.

Because, modifying your kernel should be a last resort!

Tested with LMDE6/Debian12.

Also tested with render engines on Debian 12. If Neofetch does not show the correct card in Neofetch, use command below.
AMD PRO W7700 card tested some crazy 20,000 FPS.

Before you begin, TimeShift. You will need this if something is installed out of order.
Update and Upgrade! - make sure there are no errors.

Code: Select all

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

Install:

In your browser, type:

https://repo.radeon.com/amdgpu/6.0.2/ubuntu/pool/main/a/amdgpu-install/
Download the 22.04 Firmware drivers, install this first

Next, install this package:

https://repo.radeon.com/amdgpu/6.0.2/ubuntu/pool/main/a/amdgpu-dkms/amdgpu-dkms_6.3.6.60002-1718217.22.04_all.deb
Lastly, in your browser, type:

https://repo.radeon.com/amdgpu/6.0.2/ubuntu/pool/main/a/amdgpu-core/
Download the 22.04 Core drivers

Go to your download directory

cd Downloads/

Install it

sudo apt install ./install-amdgpu-install_XXXXX_all.deb

**Run:

sudo amdgpu-install --usecase=workstation --vulkan=pro

sudo reboot

Notes:
Make sure you install the firmware first. Then install the core drivers. And then amdgpu-install.
Make sure your time zone is set correctly.

** If you are installing non-pro drivers, for regular gaming cards.

Use this install:

sudo install-amdgpu

https://ezlinux.net/threads/install-amd ... pdated.48/
Last edited by Michael_Hathaway on Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:36 am, edited 7 times in total.
Enterprise Dual Xeon 8081 (112) @3.8Ghz, 16TB NVMe Raid, 387Gb ECC, AMD Pro W7700 16Gb
Debian Support. Deb 12/13 Trixie 6.7.9
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [Tutorial] How to install AMD GPU drivers in LMDE

If your gpu is displayed incorrectly try running:

sudo update-pciids

sudo apt install neofetch
Attachments
Screenshot from 2024-03-08 00-09-20.png
Enterprise Dual Xeon 8081 (112) @3.8Ghz, 16TB NVMe Raid, 387Gb ECC, AMD Pro W7700 16Gb
TitForTat
Level 1
Level 1
Location: Germany - thats where "Lederhosen" and "Bratwurst" is from!

Re: [Tutorial] How to install AMD GPU drivers in LMDE 6

Post by TitForTat »

THAT IS AWESOME!

when I was trying to install lmde6 on my desktop pc (ryzen 5 7600 + rx 7800 xt) it just failed to boot at all. It said, that it failed to load light-dm. installing mint edge made everything sooooo easy and everything worked ootb. I really underestimated original mint :oops:

Still, I would prefer lmde6 for it being directly based on debian and not being a spin of a spin.

Sooooo... when I return home after my exams, I will try that out for sure! :idea:
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Michael_Hathaway wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:18 am [Tutorial] How to install AMD GPU drivers in LMDE 6 without modifying your kernel.
Where did you test LMDE6?
Michael_Hathaway wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:18 amBecause, modifying your kernel should be a last resort.
No, in most cases people (such as TitForTat) need a newer kernel to support both their CPU and their GPU.
TitForTat wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:48 amwhen I was trying to install lmde6 on my desktop pc (ryzen 5 7600 + rx 7800 xt) it just failed to boot at all. It said, that it failed to load light-dm. installing mint edge made everything sooooo easy and everything worked ootb. I really underestimated original mint :oops:
This tutorial does not apply to your situation. You need support for your CPU as well as your GPU. You need to have LMDE 6 already installed in order to attempt this tutorial.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
TitForTat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TitForTat »

SMG wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:44 pmThis tutorial does not apply to your situation. You need support for your CPU as well as your GPU. You need to have LMDE 6 already installed in order to attempt this tutorial.
Well, I disagree because lmde6 was running fine just on my ryzen 7600 and its igpu. Only when I switched to the the rx 7800 xt, it failed! If igpu/cpu combo is fine but dgpu prevents even loading into light-dm, than clearly (at least to me) its a problem with the dgpu driver.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

TitForTat wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:30 pm
SMG wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:44 pmThis tutorial does not apply to your situation. You need support for your CPU as well as your GPU. You need to have LMDE 6 already installed in order to attempt this tutorial.
Well, I disagree because lmde6 was running fine just on my ryzen 7600 and its igpu. Only when I switched to the the rx 7800 xt, it failed! If igpu/cpu combo is fine but dgpu prevents even loading into light-dm, than clearly (at least to me) its a problem with the dgpu driver.
I did not see where you said LMDE 6 was running "just fine" and it was only after adding a dGPU that you had problems. You did not include those details.

I would not recommend using the stock 6.1 kernel with a Ryzen 7600 even if you didn't have the dGPU. That CPU needs a newer kernel for best support. Additionally, Linux Mint 21 versions (rather than LMDE) would supply a much newer Mesa stack than one can get with LMDE 6.
TitForTat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TitForTat »

Yes, I should have said that before :D
I was installing the 6.5. kernel and it still did not work! I switched to the mint edge later and EVERYTHING worked without problems.

But being curious, I will try the above method.

Cheers.
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

Hello SMG

I have LMDE6 running on bare metal on my Platinum Xeon Server. I am able to fully test the drivers on this drive. Same drive I used to build the LMDE 6.5 kernel mod on. I have bare metal installs for all Linux Mint Cinnamon variants. Yes, I posted a Debian Neofetch just to show that the W7700 was posting correctly. I can post a neofetch of LMDE if you wish.

Adding a newer kernel is an easy way to fix driver issues, especially with graphics issues. However, a newer kernel should be avoided if a driver install can resolve the issue. Newer kernels may introduce a level of instability compared to an older, tested kernel. While you may be fixing one issue, you may also be causing another.

- Michael
Last edited by Michael_Hathaway on Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

I have updated the tutorial to include one more repository download in between the firmware drivers and the core drivers. This will be required to do the last build install.

- M
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

TitForTat wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:55 pm Yes, I should have said that before :D
I was installing the 6.5. kernel and it still did not work! I switched to the mint edge later and EVERYTHING worked without problems.

But being curious, I will try the above method.

Cheers.
It works in Mint Edge because that is a Ubuntu based distribution of Debian. AMD actively works with Ubuntu to install their gpu drivers into the Ubuntu kernels. Debian and LMDE do not use Ubuntu kernels, so the drivers are not present in their kernels. Newer kernels may contain these drivers, however the trade off is stability.

As for the Radeon PRO drivers (for developers), these will not be added to the Debian kernels in the foreseeable future if at all. Your only recourse as a developer in LMDE/Debian is to load the drivers manually. Debian Sid kernels do not work. And I personally compiled the 6.8 kernel and it did not contain these drivers.
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

I can confirm that LMDE6 with the upgraded Debian backports testing kernel 6.6.13 does not have the AMD PRO RADEON drivers and will not work on multiple monitors and include rendering.

However, LMDE kernel 6.1.0-18 works, with the drivers installed, multiple monitors rendering. Screens show correct posting of the Pro Radeon card.

- Michael
Attachments
LMDE6.1working.png
LMDE6.6.13.notworking.png
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Michael_Hathaway wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:27 amIt works in Mint Edge because that is a Ubuntu based distribution of Debian. AMD actively works with Ubuntu to install their gpu drivers into the Ubuntu kernels.
AMD works to provide their GPU drivers to the mainline kernels. It is because the drivers are in the mainline kernels that the drivers are in "Ubuntu" kernels because Ubuntu kernels are based on mainline.

There are no "pro" drivers (vulcan, opencl) in any mainline or "Ubuntu" kernel.
Michael_Hathaway wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:27 amDebian and LMDE do not use Ubuntu kernels, so the drivers are not present in their kernels.
There are AMD drivers in the kernels. Whether those drivers support the latest GPU is a different issue because AMD only provides updates to the latest mainline kernels.
Michael_Hathaway wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:27 amAs for the Radeon PRO drivers (for developers), these will not be added to the Debian kernels in the foreseeable future if at all. Your only recourse as a developer in LMDE/Debian is to load the drivers manually. Debian Sid kernels do not work. And I personally compiled the 6.8 kernel and it did not contain these drivers.
AMD does not provide the pro portion of the driver to the mainline kernels. They do provide all the rest.

Ubuntu also does not provide the pro portion of the driver. One must download that from the AMD website. Your post seems to make the assumption that they are provided by "Ubuntu" kernels which is not true.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Your "He ended up installing Linux Mint Edge which uses Ubuntu kernels, naturally supported by AMD." is not true. The reason it worked is because the kernel and the firmware were newer which is the same thing one can do by backporting a newer kernel and firmware in Debian.

Edited to add: The one benefit of using Ubuntu is one gets a newer Mesa stack than what is currently available in Debian.
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

Here is the regular Mainline Linux Mint installed without edge kernels. I did not load the above PRO drivers, they are already included with Ubuntu kernels 6.2 and above (please see UNINGINE 2). These kernels are not newer than Debian's, they just offer support from AMD which is not included with Debian's kernels.

If you wish your newer gpu's to run, multiple monitors with rendering, you will need either Mainline 6.2 or higher. Or for LMDE/Debian, you will require the driver tutorial above. Even Debian sid kernel 6.7.7 does not offer support.

One other thing to note: Xanmod and Liquorix kernels are built within hours of the Debian release kernels. Neither of these offer the same AMD gpu support that Ubuntu has. You must load drivers onto them.
Attachments
LM6.2Benchmark.jpeg
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Michael_Hathaway wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:57 am Here is the regular Mainline Linux Mint installed without edge kernels.
I don't know what "regular Mainline" means. Linux Mint 21 versions do not use mainline kernels. They use the 5.15 LTS kernel provided and maintained by Ubuntu.
Michael_Hathaway wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:57 am I did not load the above PRO drivers, they are already included with Ubuntu kernels 6.2 and above (please see UNINGINE 2).
Where does that screenshot say anything about the pro components of the AMD drivers? I don't see any reference to the pro components. There is no proprietary display driver for Linux for AMD hardware. OpenGL is part of the driver AMD provides in the kernel and is not proprietary.

The only closed source (proprietary) components in the AMD radeon pro driver are the OpenGL and vulkan drivers. Neither of those are referenced in your screenshot.
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

This is the main version of Linux Mint ("non-edge") having an updated 6.2 kernel. I think this is pretty obvious. Without drivers loaded, you only have one monitor displayed and it will not hardware render.

One other thing to note is that, there are no "Debian" support drivers on the AMD support page. And there are no "Debian" AMD gpu repositories for the pro drivers, there are only Ubuntu repositories. There are however, support for rpm packages for RHEL and Opensuse. Again, AMD does not directly support Debian and that is why no amount of backporting is going to gain you these drivers on LMDE.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Michael_Hathaway wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:53 pm This is the main version of Linux Mint ("non-edge") having a 6.1-6.2 kernel. I think this is pretty obvious. Without drivers loaded, you only have one monitor displayed and it will not hardware render.
It's pretty standard that if drivers are not loaded (for whatever GPU one has--AMD, Intel or Nvidia) then only one monitor will work. That is why one makes sure to use a kernel new enough to have the drivers for their GPU.

I don't understand what that has to do with your comment about Ubuntu kernels having something "special" that is not the mainline kernels. Ubuntu kernels DO NOT have the pro portion of the drivers (which is what you have been insinuating). You have the option to install those pro drivers using the download from the AMD website, but you have to do a special download in order to get them. Those drivers are not in the Ubuntu kernel.
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

SMG wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm
Michael_Hathaway wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:53 pm This is the main version of Linux Mint ("non-edge") having a 6.1-6.2 kernel. I think this is pretty obvious. Without drivers loaded, you only have one monitor displayed and it will not hardware render.
It's pretty standard that if drivers are not loaded (for whatever GPU one has--AMD, Intel or Nvidia) then only one monitor will work. That is why one makes sure to use a kernel new enough to have the drivers for their GPU.
This is what I am trying to tell you. Without the drivers loaded, only 1 monitor will work and there is no rendering.

Ubuntu kernel 6.2 and higher has the drivers built into it. Both monitors work and I am rendering. This does not happen with any of the Debian kernels, no matter how high you go.
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

https://www.amd.com/en/support/professi ... -pro-w7700

Here is the link to the AMD website for display drivers. There are only Rhel, OpenSuse and Ubuntu drivers listed. There is no Debian, no LMDE. And no, this Ubuntu driver script does not work on Debian/LMDE. In order to get the drivers for Debian/LMDE, you must download them from the repositories separately. Which is what my tutorial above does.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Michael_Hathaway wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:20 amThis does not happen with any of the Debian kernels, no matter how high you go.
And when you checked the logs, were there messages about missing firmware? I've seen that happen a number of times when helping people with newer AMD GPUs on Linux Mint. The kernel is new enough to have the drivers, but the firmware is not there to let the drivers from the kernel load. Once the newer firmware is installed, the drivers from the kernel then load.

It is not some new discovery that one needs both the proper amdgpu linux-firmware and a new enough kernel in order to get the drivers to load. I have been helping people with this type of issue for multiple years. If you check the Tips for Troubleshooting Graphics Issues (including external monitors not working) you will find multiple references to needing newer firmware. Here is one example from several years ago:
If you have an AMD RX 6700 XT, make sure your LM20.3 system is updated so you have the linux-firmware version 1.187.28 or newer. That firmware is needed for the drivers to load. That firmware was not released until early March 2022 so it is NOT included on any of the Linux Mint 20.3 ISOs. You must update your system to get this firmware package. Additionally, please use at least a 5.13 or newer kernel.
One needs both a new enough kernel and new enough amdgpu linux-firmware. If you only backported a newer kernel and did not install the necessary newer firmware then you should expect to have issues.
Michael_Hathaway wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:31 am https://www.amd.com/en/support/professi ... -pro-w7700

Here is the link to the AMD website for display drivers. There are only Rhel, OpenSuse and Ubuntu drivers listed.
Those links provide both the necessary firmware as well as the standard and pro drivers. They have done so for everyone else I have helped over the years. No one who downloaded the drivers from that link needed to separately install amdgpu linux-firmware. If the firmware did not install for you then I don't know what you did.

Return to “Tutorials”