[Solved] Login cannot see wallpaper in home dir

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ThomasAn
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Login cannot see wallpaper in home dir

Post by ThomasAn »

Ok, I've given this image file all the permissions known to man and the login screen cannot see it.

Any ideas, what I might be missing here ?

Code: Select all

ls -l ~/Stargate2home.jpg
-rwxrwxrwx 1 thomasan thomasan 340470 Mar  8 12:50 /home/thomasan/Stargate2home.jpg
Last few lines of:

sudo grep background /var/log/lightdm/seat0-greeter.log

[+0.64s] DEBUG: background.vala:157: Error loading background: Failed to open file “/home/thomasan/Stargate2home.jpg”: Permission denied
[+0.65s] DEBUG: background.vala:119: Render of background /home/thomasan/Stargate2home.jpg complete
[+0.65s] DEBUG: background.vala:136: images[0] was null for /home/thomasan/Stargate2home.jpg
[+0.65s] DEBUG: background.vala:119: Render of background /home/thomasan/Stargate2home.jpg complete
[+0.65s] DEBUG: background.vala:136: images[0] was null for /home/thomasan/Stargate2home.jpg
Last edited by ThomasAn on Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Login cannot see wallper in home dir

Post by vimes666 »

Check the permissions of your /home and /home/user directories:

ls -dl /home ~
Edit: I think they should be 755 both, at least thats what they are at my end.
ThomasAn
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Login cannot see wallper in home dir

Post by ThomasAn »

Good call. Thank you.

Yes, the permissions of the home directory were restrictive and lightdm could not enter, regardless of the file itself having permissions. I went up to 755 for the home dir and it works now. (I am assuming putting lightdm in the user group would be less secure somehow in the long run)

Return to “Cinnamon”