Fresh Install Mint Cinnamon Dummy Output

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TeethSkylark
Level 1
Level 1

Fresh Install Mint Cinnamon Dummy Output

Post by TeethSkylark »

I made a fresh install of the cinnamon version of Mint, and am receiving the only available output device as Dummy Output. "inxi -Axxx" gives
Audio:
Device-1: Intel Comet Lake PCH-LP cAVS driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
bus-ID: 00:1f.3 chip-ID: 8086:02c8 class-ID: 0401
Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.15.0-100-generic running: yes
Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.99.1 running: yes
Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.48 running: yes
It looks like it recognizes that there is hardware for an audio device, but it is not showing in the audio devices menu.
I am very new to Linux and unsure of how to proceed.
TeethSkylark
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Fresh Install Mint Cinnamon Dummy Output

Post by TeethSkylark »

I looked tried some steps from the it's foss article, https://itsfoss.com/fix-sound-ubuntu-1304-quick-tip/ , as well as this thread, viewtopic.php?t=370424, specifically
Screenshot from 2024-03-08 20-39-21.png
Now I receive this when I open pavucontrol. Is says that all of the hardware devices are unplugged
Screenshot from 2024-03-08 20-41-43.png
This is some progress, but I am unsure of how to continue so that it can recognize that they are plugged in.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Fresh Install Mint Cinnamon Dummy Output

Post by SMG »

TeethSkylark wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:53 pmI am very new to Linux and unsure of how to proceed.
Tips for Troubleshooting Sound Issues Rev. 1 is a sticky topic on the Sound forum.

Please open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. Then click the Copy button in the lower right and paste the results into a reply window here so we can see how Linux Mint views your hardware. You need to be following instructions for the version of Linux Mint you are using and you have not yet provided that information.

Getting Dummy Output has so many different causes that I have lost track of how many there can be. That means you need to be specific about matching your hardware to any information you find and not using random "dummy output" topics you find for guidance.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Sound”