copy music to my ipod 4th generation 16gb ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
consettboy
Level 1
Level 1

copy music to my ipod 4th generation 16gb ?

Post by consettboy »

hello i am using mint lmde on a 32 bit laptop and i am trying to get music form my hard drive to my ipod 4th generation 16gb ipod please,i tried gtkpod but i cant seem to get the music to go over to it?
any ideas please?
thank you.
mango_McG
Level 1
Level 1

Re: copy music to my ipod 4th generation 16gb ?

Post by mango_McG »

I've got an iPod 4 which is now used as a kitchen timer.

I remember years ago putting music on it very occasionally from Ubuntu and later LM20 but not for ages. After seeing your post I checked with LMDE6. It only allows access to the DCIM (photos) folder. Then checked on another machine running LM 21.3 with the same result.

Finally I made a boot USB from the LM 20.3 iso.

On the Desktop two folders appeared. 'iPod' and 'Documents on XXXX (name of your ipod)' .

If you open the folder you find any apps that can play music media ( in my case, foobar2000, and Donut). Double click on the app icon which will open the folder. Then drag and drop the mp3s or whattever.
You cannot add music to itunes this way.

Note this did not require GTKPod to be installed.

So I recommend making making a bootable usb from the LM 20.3 iso and using it on a 64 bit machine. Otherwise find an earlier version of Mint or Ubuntu that is 32 bit for use on your current computer.

Return to “Beginner Questions”