Performance of Linux Mint vs. gaming-oriented distros?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ratpizza
Level 1
Level 1

Performance of Linux Mint vs. gaming-oriented distros?

Post by ratpizza »

Has anyone on this forum tried any of the distros dedicated for gaming such as Pop!_OS or Garuda linux and noticed any meaningfull performance-improvments over Mint? Myself, I did try installing Drauger OS on a dual-boot partition some year ago but I simply couldn't get it to work and and just gave up with nothing but wasted time to show for it. Still, it would be usefull to know if any other user have had more luck with any gaming-distro.
Last edited by xenopeek on Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: asking about other distros; moved here
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Performance of Linux Mint vs. gaming-oriented distros?

Post by Hoser Rob »

"Gaming distros"? With the possible exception of Steam, that's nonsense. There's really nowhere as much difference between Linux distros as you may think. They all get their kernels and wrappers from the same places. There are no magic distros. Jeez, there's a ;lot of crap on most of those Linux sites/blogs.

Linux stinks for gaming. The selection of AAA titles is pitiful compared to Windows. So is the optimization of the code in both the Linux device drivers and the games themselves. So the performance is never as good. And many newbies think they'll be able to run all their WIndows games using Wine. Wine is terrible, it usually fails and when it does work it will often break after a system update.

If you're a serious gamer you should really keep some Windows installed.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
TitForTat
Level 1
Level 1
Location: Germany - thats where "Lederhosen" and "Bratwurst" is from!

Re: Performance of Linux Mint vs. gaming-oriented distros?

Post by TitForTat »

"Gaming distros"? With the possible exception of Steam, that's nonsense.
That is very true. There are only distros having older kernels and don't come with non-free repos ootb. Those are less "gamer friendly". Distros like POP OS, Fedora (to some extend) and some Arch based dsitros have the latest kernel and the basic non-free stuff installed. Therefore, they are better for gaming. If everything is setup correctly, there should be no difference between them.
Linux stinks for gaming. If you're a serious gamer you should really keep some Windows installed.
Yes and no. If you want to play AAA titles that are windows exclusives and known for some strange anti-cheat software, that is causing some trouble with Linux (especially with Proton etc.), you should keep Windows!

But in many cases, games just work fine. I played unoptimized VRAM eating Windows only titles on Fedora and Mint with no difference in performance. On the other hand, I had Linux/SteamOS compatible titles not being capable to run at all due to some errors that needed even more digging into the Linux hole.

tl:dr
You should know what you want to play and try, If they run well on your distro of choice. If not, keep windows. One more thing. It can very well be, that games run fine on Linux but still run couple of fps "slower" or even 20, 30 fps... It is up to you if you are fine with that or rather squeeze ervery last drop of performace out of your hardware for the most bang for your buck!

Return to “Chat about Linux”