Terminology Oldsters vs Youngsters

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Terminology Oldsters vs Youngsters

Post by BG405 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:26 pm RMA it which I find rather irritating.
That sort of thing does get my goat.

But, probably, not quite as "irritating" for me as "Google it" .. :twisted:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

BG405 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:40 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:26 pm RMA it which I find rather irritating.

Oh, yeah. Like Google is the only search engine. :roll:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:51 pm
BG405 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:40 pm

Oh, yeah. Like Google is the only search engine. :roll:
It is for the brain washed masses.
wwblm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wwblm »

ivar wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:03 pm especially on laptops with PCMCIA slots (anyone remember those?)
Had to do some spec surfing on that one! I knew I had several but could not remember what they were and what laptops. I think one of them was for some kind of memory card. Odd though as I don't think I had a digital camera yet. Thought it might have been for a modem but my laptops had that built in. The thing those first two laptops did not have was wireless networking. Must have been for that. I do remember sitting in a coffee shop surfing the internet with a laptop that would not have had wireless networking. I sure don't think I would have been plugging in the Ethernet and am certain that I wasn't using the built in modem. My first laptop with built in wireless still had a modem and a PC card slot and I had a digital camera by then. I remember Verizon had like a hotspot PMCIA card. One of my customers let me borrow that so I could support him while on vacation. Really cool stuff back then!
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

wwblm wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:02 pm Must have been for that. I do remember sitting in a coffee shop surfing the internet with a laptop that would not have had wireless networking.
I actually have a yet-untested PCMCIA wireless network module; also have a couple of PC PCMCIA interface cards which are still new-in-packaging! I also know that modules exist for e.g. CF cards but not sure when these first appeared? I'd be tempted to see if I can get that ancient Dell desktop online with the aforementioned. But I doubt modern WiFi security/encryption protocols will be supported.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

HA! I have not seen or used a PCMCIA card in so long I cannot recall. I remember when laptops can with the slot for those things.

Now I never used 8" floppies, but I certainly used many a 5.25" floppy disk in my day. I also remember using cassettes (tapes) for storage.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:34 am I also remember using cassettes (tapes) for storage.
Having to use cassettes was one of the primary reasons I bought a 1541 as soon as I could afford one!

Ten minutes to load my program, ten minutes to save and another ten to verify .. 30 minutes lost in every programming session.

That was before I started adding machine code modules (e.g. mouse and display interrupt drivers) and putting stuff under the BASIC ROM etc..

Even without the Freeze Machine cartridge (which I already had by then .. and was very keen to use its disk utilities) this whole process was cut to less than four minutes; no need to verify as it's done on-the-fly with those venerable 5¼" disks.

N.B. With the FM cartridge, cassette load/save times were cut to ⅕th but verification was still necessary, so still slower than the default slow 1541 transfer rate. That cartridge (which I gave away) and my current Action Replay cut disk operation times down to a fraction of this.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:34 amNow I never used 8" floppies, but I certainly used many a 5.25" floppy disk in my day.
8" were a bit iffy and then came the 5-1/4" How could they be better? But they were. They were much more likely to work.
wwblm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wwblm »

RollyShed wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:21 pm
8" were a bit iffy and then came the 5-1/4" How could they be better? But they were. They were much more likely to work.
I always thought it was funny that they called the 3 - 1/2s floppies as well. Guess they probably were more likely to work but truly my use of 5 - 1/4 was not that long so I don't remember. I do remember the frustration of trying to put a dozen floppy files together to work on the database file I still work on. Back then, when the inevitable floppy disk failure would occur, we would loose at least a day waiting for the next fedex package and hope that all of those would be good. Gosh and the time to split and copy all those files.

That is why even 230kbs AppleTalk was so neat. Could move a whole floppy in a matter of seconds;-)
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

wwblm wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:49 pmI always thought it was funny that they called the 3 - 1/2s floppies as well.
They were floppies (thin plastic with magnetic layer) but in a solid case instead of a flexible envelope as the 8" and 5-1/4" were.
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DisturbedDragon »

Well, I'm old enough my first computer loaded programs off a cassette tape, if that tells you anything, The whole app thing makes me cringe, almost as much as download. "I've downloaded it 20 times but it won't open." Cannot count how many times hearing this. Then I explain, there is a difference between downloading and INSTALLING a program. Nomenclature matters.

Then I'm ten minutes explaining what nomenclature means....
wwblm wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:58 pm
RollyShed wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:39 pm What do you mean? All cars have gear leavers..... don't they? Mine certainly does.
When I was young, some cars had push buttons. I hear that is making a come back. I recently rented a van that had a knob that you turned like the volume on the radio. Did not like that. Wife's car has "paddles" on the back of the steering wheel. Guess you could call those gear leavers;-) They are kind of fun to use but are rarely used.

Taught my daughter to drive a stick. Would have taught my grandson but did not have a vehicle available to teach him with. Don't have a problem with a stick shift but don't particularly miss using one either.
Friend of mine has an SUV with the little knob thing for the gear select and a button for the emergency brake. That whole situation freaks me out. He already had some sort of issue with it, then there was a recall for the thing not staying in park when selected. Give a manual transmission and a hand brake attached to a wire any day.

I have two daughters and taught them both to drive a manual. Bought my first a manual Fiat 500 and the second a manual (new-ish) Beetle. Told them, you may never own another manual car, but you will know how to drive one. I still drive a six speed manual Hyundai Veloster Turbo (built) and love it every day. Couldn't teach on that one. Over 400HP with a ceramic clutch. I also ride a GSXR1000 which is obviously a manual as well. Only owned two automatic cars out of the dozens I've had over the years,
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
wwblm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wwblm »

DisturbedDragon wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:08 pm I also ride a GSXR1000 which is obviously a manual as well.
Used to have a GS1100ET. Sweet spot on the cams took my breath away! Very happy with my PC800 these days. Only manual I have and not teaching the grandson on that :wink:
cbraxton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cbraxton »

A couple of terminology nits...

"IT" vs. "Electronic Data Processing (EDP)".

"Folder" vs. "Directory".

In both cases I still insist the latter is the proper term.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

cbraxton wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:04 pm A couple of terminology nits...

"IT" vs. "Electronic Data Processing (EDP)".

"Folder" vs. "Directory".

In both cases I still insist the latter is the proper term.
Potato or potahto? Some say some folders are not directories, some say both are interchangeable, so on and so on. This is a curious discussion on this: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/507 ... d-a-folder.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

In my book it's only a "folder" if you can physically fold it ..! :roll:

And folders are for documents, nothing else. Who for example would actually try to store their physical music and video collections in physical folders ..? Doesn't make sense.

[/pedant-mode]
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

BG405 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:52 pm In my book it's only a "folder" if you can physically fold it ..! :roll:

And folders are for documents, nothing else. Who for example would actually try to store their physical music and video collections in physical folders ..? Doesn't make sense.

[/pedant-mode]
I guess a lot of people don't make sense since I see folders for music and video collections quite frequently. Here's but two for example:

Movie Folder.jpg

CD folder 2.jpg
Jeannie

BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Strewth I'd forgotten about those! I probably have one or more knocking around somewhere. But my mind's eye envisioned people trying to stuff CDs in them with their jewel cases .. and VHS cassettes, etc.. :mrgreen:
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

BG405 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:49 pm Strewth I'd forgotten about those! I probably have one or more knocking around somewhere. But my mind's eye envisioned people trying to stuff CDs in them with their jewel cases .. and VHS cassettes, etc.. :mrgreen:
Jewel cases waste far too much space, especially the ones for DVDs. I use these storage cases and toss the original cases:

case 1.jpg

case 2.jpg

One of those cases holds 150 double sided hanging sleeves for a total of 300 optical discs (CD, DVD, BD). I have nine of those cases with the last two almost full (I keep my CDs in separate cases from my DVDs and BDs). I can store 300 CDs, DVDs, and BDs in the same amount of space 40 DVD cases take up.

Each disc gets a four digit reference number and I keep "lists" (actually, the folders I keep the rips and cover scans in) of everything so I can quickly find a disc by reference number (I have software I can use to generate a list of titles from the folders so I can print a booklet of what I have for when I dig through bargain bins and racks).
Jeannie

BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

I have a case which looks like that (a street find, like a monitor and one of my keyboards, along with other useful stuff people tend to leave out on their front walls etc.) albeit I think it's smaller but doesn't have the inserts. Guess that's what it was intended for. .. I have a collection of cables, adaptors and stuff in it.

I prefer to have my CDs in racks in their jewel cases, less risk of scratching them IMHO. Plus I like to keep them "as new" (and no longer lend stuff out, for this reason).
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

BG405 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:17 pm I have a case which looks like that (a street find, like a monitor and one of my keyboards, along with other useful stuff people tend to leave out on their front walls etc.) albeit I think it's smaller but doesn't have the inserts. Guess that's what it was intended for. .. I have a collection of cables, adaptors and stuff in it.

I prefer to have my CDs in racks in their jewel cases, less risk of scratching them IMHO. Plus I like to keep them "as new" (and no longer lend stuff out, for this reason).
The hanging sleeves that come with the cases I use help prevent scratching better than many CD cases. They are far less frustrating to get discs in and out of than many of the original cases.
Jeannie

Return to “Open Chat”