Linux mint xfce problem

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Max87
Level 1
Level 1

Linux mint xfce problem

Post by Max87 »

Hey I would be so happy if someone could help this amateur. When trying to install Linux Mint Xfce from usb stick to hard drive I get the error “The ext4 system file creation in partition #2 of MMC/Sd #1 failed”. I had Windows 11 previously and when I initially tried to install Linux I chose “erase all and install Linux” and failed which means I don’t have even Windows anymore. Basically my laptop lacks an operating system.

What can I do to finalise the installation of Linux? Please help me. Thank you and sorry for my poor English.
Last edited by SMG on Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed Xface to Xfce.
spamhog
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux mint xfce problem

Post by spamhog »

I hope I am not bringing bad news.
So far I only saw that failure on a bad SSD.

For filesystem-writing to fail without a hardware problem it would take the computer having wrong information on the hard drive. This is possible if a whole hard drive is bit-copied onto another smaller one, so the partition table says one thing, but does not correspond to reality. You say the system was installed, not flashed.

I see that Mint live contains the "Disks" utility. It's a bit complicated but you could:
- boot the pc in Mint
- open Disks
- select your SSD
- go to the 3-dots menu upper right
- select format disk
- select no partition table / empty drive
- format
- disk is now empty, no partition, nothing
- select format disk again
- select the "default partition for drives over 2TB"
- format again
- now disk has a fresh partiton table
- "+" add a partition
- default is fine but select erase
- this will make a filesystem and write all over it (IT MAY TAKE A LONG TIME)
- writing will test the disk rather thorougly
- if that fails, the problem is likey to be hardware.
sip
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux mint xfce problem

Post by sip »

Max87 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:35 pm Hey I would be so happy if someone could help this amateur. When trying to install Linux Mint Xfce from usb stick to hard drive I get the error “The ext4 system file creation in partition #2 of MMC/Sd #1 failed”. I had Windows 11 previously and when I initially tried to install Linux I chose “erase all and install Linux” and failed which means I don’t have even Windows anymore. Basically my laptop lacks an operating system.

What can I do to finalise the installation of Linux? Please help me. Thank you and sorry for my poor English.
Hello. Read this information. Start it right. You may need help, reach out!
https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... en/latest/
Man is created for happiness, like a bird for flight, so do not put off until tomorrow what you can do today.

Return to “Installation & Boot”