(SOLVED) Timeshift Snapshot timing

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
JohhB2002
Level 2
Level 2

(SOLVED) Timeshift Snapshot timing

Post by JohhB2002 »

Perhaps someone already suggested this but here it is..............

Timeshift is good for me. I don't have any complains .... :) Except..... Would be nice if Timeshift would allow to choose the time snapshots are ran.
Just suggesting :) :) :)
Last edited by JohhB2002 on Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
supermurs
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Timeshift Snapshot timing

Post by supermurs »

I've been wondering about this too. Apparently my snapshots are taken around 8 PM in the evening.
JohhB2002
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JohhB2002 »

I don't understand why there is no option to choose a snapshot time.. Probably would not be that difficult to setup.
Maybe someone will see this post and solve the issue. :)
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

you can "sort of select" the time it runs.

delete all of the snapshots,
set the schedule to run one at Boot,
select the other options as you wish.

Restart the PC, it will run a snapshot about 10 minutes after it boots up.

then it will run new snapshots at about the same time each day, unless you choose "hourly"
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
JohhB2002
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JohhB2002 »

Thanks... will do that...
Still, :) :) would be nice to have that options. :) :)

Can't figured it out. Why it is not done. Anybody has any idea as to why it is not implemented????
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

JohhB2002 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:29 pm Thanks... will do that...
Still, :) :) would be nice to have that options. :) :)

Can't figured it out. Why it is not done. Anybody has any idea as to why it is not implemented????
simply because none of us think it is necessary, nor do we care.
you are the first, that I can remember to ever ask why?

plus, it runs in the background, and will never slow down any operations that you are doing
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

JohhB2002 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:29 pm Can't figured it out. Why it is not done. Anybody has any idea as to why it is not implemented????
Because you cannot guarantee the computer will be on at the time selected.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

AndyMH wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:08 pm
JohhB2002 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:29 pm Can't figured it out. Why it is not done. Anybody has any idea as to why it is not implemented????
Which is one of the reasons I don't recommend automating snapshots.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:33 pm
invalid reason Jeannie,
each snapshot is Timestamped, and my computers have never changed the time, I have them all set to "my time", not the Internet.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1800 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:28 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:33 pm
invalid reason Jeannie,
each snapshot is Timestamped, and my computers have never changed the time, I have them all set to "my time", not the Internet.
Methinks you may have misunderstood. I, and, I'm pretty sure, Andy, was not referring to the timestamp. An example of what I meant is, if Timeshift could be set to make a snapshot at a certain time and, if the computer isn't on at that time, then the snapshot won't be made. The same is true of any other forms of automated backups. I'll concede that this might be less of a problem if the computer ran 24/7 or could be assured to always be on at a certain time.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
schellasu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by schellasu »

JohhB2002 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:56 pm I don't understand why there is no option to choose a snapshot time.. Probably would not be that difficult to setup.
There is one!
Take manual SnapShots and YOU decide when they are created :D :lol:
Who, if not me, can decide whether a SnapShot of my system would be useful. It's my job, not that of a calendar or an algorithm.
Last edited by schellasu on Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I suspect timeshift is either using anacron or a systemd timer (or it might be doing it internally) such that if the computer is not on when a snapshot is scheduled it will take a snapshot next time the computer is switched on. I have daily snapshots scheduled (which is overkill, I must change it) and looking at the timestamps looks like mine are scheduled for 6pm. My desktop is usually on at that time.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

schellasu wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:28 pm
JohhB2002 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:56 pm I don't understand why there is no option to choose a snapshot time.. Probably would not be that difficult to setup.
There is one!
Take manual SnapShots and YOU decide when they are created :D :lol:
That was a wee bit facetious but, in a way, I agree. When automating snapshots, most people make far too many unnecessary snapshots, taking up too much disk space, and, at the same time, may not make enough necessary ones. Complicating matters, automated snapshots will only have a timestamp to identify when it was made, making it more difficult to determine which snapshot to restore when a restoration is needed.

The only snapshots I make on a regular basis are the ones I manually make every Monday morning. When I make the snapshot, I write "Weekly" in the comments so I know that snapshot was one of my weekly ones. I also manually make one just before something I may regret later, such as before running a questionable update, installing or removing a program, making a major settings change, etc., then write in the Comments why I made the snapshot, such as "Before Updating Kernel". That way, I know exactly which snapshot to restore if I ever need to. Since I only make and keep snapshots on a need to basis, I often can go an entire week without needing to make one and, sometimes, even more than a week without making any more than the weekly snapshots. Other times, I may make several in a week.

The same goes for culling snapshots no longer needed. I can use the Comments to determine which ones to get rid of, and when to get rid of them, and which ones to keep. Sometimes, I may need to keep only a few snapshots on hand. Other times, I may need to keep more on hand. But, always, I'm assured I have the ones I need for however long I need them and no longer.

People often say they won't remember to manually make snapshots. With my ADHD, I can't remember things from one minute to the next (seriously!). That's why I use a calendar program with recurring reminders to do things.

Others say they just don't want to bother with manually managing snapshots. That's a choice only users can make for themselves. I prefer the higher efficiency of making snapshots, knowing what each snapshot was for, and minimizing the amount of writes to the SSD the snapshots get stored on.

It only takes a few seconds to start a snapshot, then you can just let Timeshift take however long it needs while you can still continue to use the computer until it is finished. Or go do something else. Same for culling unneeded snapshots. Just select the snapshots you want to dump (hold down the CTRL key to click on more than one), click on Delete, then let Timeshift do all the work while you continue on with whatever.
Jeannie

linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Re: (SOLVED) Timeshift Snapshot timing

Post by linux-rox »

JohhB2002 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:34 am Perhaps someone already suggested this ...
Well, yes. FWIW, a discussion from several years ago, when Tony George was still maintaining the project (which he originated).

TLDR: it's a complicated issue for which no solution would satisfy everyone. TG felt what he ended up with is a good balance between flexibility and ease of use. Personally, I think he did a pretty good job on that point (and most others).

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”