Accessing my Samba shares causes Mint to kick my Windows machine out of the share

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
laxinthe303
Level 1
Level 1

Accessing my Samba shares causes Mint to kick my Windows machine out of the share

Post by laxinthe303 »

Fresh install of Mint, freshly installed hard drives, new shares in Windows.

I created the shares via the "Share" tab in Nemo, with both the allow others to create and delete files in this folder, and guest access checked.

I can see the drives in Windows, and they are mounted as network drives.

I can write to the drives, significant amounts of data.

However, sometimes just browsing the drives, or accessing them, will cause the connection to drop on the Windows side. I get an "A:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect error."

Windows then cannot see the share, until some time has passed, or until I restart Windows and it reconnects to the drive.
laxinthe303
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Accessing my Samba shares causes Mint to kick my Windows machine out of the share

Post by laxinthe303 »

OK, I have identified the problem, but not the solution.

Locked files:
Pid User(ID) DenyMode Access R/W Oplock SharePath Name Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
509416 65534 DENY_NONE 0x100081 RDONLY NONE /media/veracrypt1 Downloads Sat Mar 16 13:25:27 2024

Samba is locking my Downloads directory, and this has only happened in Mint, it doesn't happen in my Ubuntu boxes, and it only happens when I'm trying to access a bunch of files in a short period of time, whether that's looking at a bunch of images in sequence, OR when I'm trying to write a bunch of files. Writing under 10 files at once, no problem, writing 100 files at once, lock.

Is there a way to prevent this behavior? I presume it's trying not to overload my disk - but this same setup worked fine for years on Ubuntu.

Return to “Storage”