HP Color Laserjet MFP277c6 No Longer Duplexing

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mattlach
Level 4
Level 4

HP Color Laserjet MFP277c6 No Longer Duplexing

Post by mattlach »

Hi Everyone,

Posting here in case anyone has had the same issue.

I've recently noticed that my HP laserjet which used to duplex just fine, no longer does. Unfortunately I don't know exactly when it stopped working.

The printer is networked via wired ethernet, and I am running Mint 21.3 (Cinnamon edition)

Software print dialog has duplexing enabled, system print dialog has duplexing enabled, system setup has duplexing enabled, yet it still prints single sided.

This used to work just fine, so I know the hardware has a duplexer and it should work.

Should I maybe install hplip instead of relying on Mints default auto-adding printer system?

I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to attack the troubleshooting on this one. While I am a seasoned Linux user, I have not kept up with how printers are handled for the last several years, and I know things have changed a fair bit from back when I last did printer troubleshooting.

Appreciate the help!
Corsair 1000D, Threadripper 3960x, Asus ROG Zenith II, 64GB, Samsung 990 Pro, Geforce RTX 4090, 42" LG C3, 2x Dell U2412M, Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC
Server: AMD EPYC 7543(32C/64T), SuperMicro H12SSL-NT, 512GB RAM, 192TB ZFS
BillyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Re: HP Color Laserjet MFP277c6 No Longer Duplexing

Post by BillyLinux »

CUPS was very recently updated. That update could be the cause of duplex not working but I may be wrong.

I also suffered a loss of duplex on my Canon printer sometime ago now, which I resolved by downloading the specific package from the canon website and using the provided shell script to install. My understanding of hplip is that it tries to do the same. I have though had bad experiences with hplip in the past for both Windows and Linux - HP dont appear to have the fleet of foot to perform updates whenever windows/linux demands it to be done.

For now, you could delete the printer from your linux device and then switch the printer off. Perform both

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
and

Code: Select all

sudo apt full-upgrade
Shutdown device. Power up printer. Wait a while until the network knows it is there. Power the linux device back up and the printer should be auto detected. Test to see if duplex is working. If not you could then either go down the CUPS install method or the hplip merhod. i.e.

Open a web browser and enter the following URL:
http://localhost:631 From there, navigate to the "Administration" tab and click "Add Printer." Follow the on-screen instructions to manually configure your HP printer.
You may find these useful
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... nters.html
viewtopic.php?t=394754

Good Luck.
I am just one of the volunteers for a UK charity https://abilitynet.org.uk/
who provides free IT support to older people and disabled people of any age, anywhere in the UK.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”