[SOLVED] : vue scan is very laggy and it gets stuck in the initial logo window

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FreeWolf
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] : vue scan is very laggy and it gets stuck in the initial logo window

Post by FreeWolf »

Hello . I am a newcomer in the world of Linux and especially Linux Mint and I have come across an annoying problem that I think I can solve it with your help by mentioning it in the Linux Mint forum. My vue scan is very laggy and it gets stuck in the initial logo window for a long time and after opening completely. The software recognizes my scanner well, but when I press the scan button, it stops working completely and gets stuck in scanning mode. Also, I need to say that I downloaded the software from the Linux Mint store.
Last edited by FreeWolf on Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
bin
Level 4
Level 4

Re: vue scan is very laggy and it gets stuck in the initial logo window

Post by bin »

FreeWolf wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:18 am Hello . I am a newcomer in the world of Linux and especially Linux Mint and I have come across an annoying problem that I think I can solve it with your help by mentioning it in the Linux Mint forum. My vue scan is very laggy and it gets stuck in the initial logo window for a long time and after opening completely. The software recognizes my scanner well, but when I press the scan button, it stops working completely and gets stuck in scanning mode. Also, I need to say that I downloaded the software from the Linux Mint store.
Hello
First of all welcome to the world of Mint.
As you will find out the important part of getting help is to provide detailed information about your system and any hardware involved.
So please run

Code: Select all

inxi -SMmCGx
in a terminal and copy/paste the output here. Please use the Code Display button </> in the forum toolbar.
Secondly we need to know more about your scanner and how it is connected to your computer.
Are you doing flatbed scans or using a film/slide feature?

Vuescan is a commercial application so you will need to purchase a licence to get scans without watermarks.

Have you checked your scanner is supported on the Vuescan web site https://www.hamrick.com/ use the Check Supported Scanners box.

Pending the requested info:-
1. Make sure your scanner is physically connected to your machine - and I hope it is USB.
2. Try the built in Document Scanner software - does that work?
3. Remove the flatpak and install the relevant deb version from https://www.hamrick.com/alternate-versions.html
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

What version of vuescan? I am running V9.5.72 (old dates back to 2017) on LM21.3 without issue. This was installed from deb not flatpak.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
FreeWolf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FreeWolf »

Thank you for your welcome

Code: Select all

System:
  Host: PC Kernel: 5.15.0-101-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.4.0
    Desktop: Cinnamon 6.0.4 Distro: Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
    base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: HP product: HP ProDesk 600 G2 SFF v: N/A
    serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: HP model: 805D v: KBC Version 05.39 serial: <superuser required>
    UEFI: HP v: N02 Ver. 02.51 date: 10/19/2020
Memory:
  RAM: total: 11.56 GiB used: 2.3 GiB (19.9%)
  RAM Report:
    permissions: Unable to run dmidecode. Root privileges required.
CPU:
  Info: quad core model: Intel Core i5-6500 bits: 64 type: MCP
    arch: Skylake-S rev: 3 cache: L1: 256 KiB L2: 1024 KiB L3: 6 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 1957 high: 2700 min/max: 800/3600 cores: 1: 2071
    2: 2700 3: 1949 4: 1111 bogomips: 25599
  Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 530 vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: i915
    v: kernel bus-ID: 00:02.0
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.4 driver: X: loaded: modesetting
    unloaded: fbdev,vesa gpu: i915 resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 530 (SKL GT2)
    v: 4.6 Mesa 23.2.1-1ubuntu3.1~22.04.2 direct render: Yes
Scanner Model : HP laserjet 1536dnf MFP
My scanner is connected to the computer via USB and I use its flatbed. vuescan supports my scanner because I used to use the same program with the same configuration and connection method on another Linux distribution (Zorin). The scanner is physically connected via USB. Mint's built in scanner software doesn't work either ( it doesn't recognize the scanner ), re-installing from the official vueScan website still didn't solve the problem.
Sorry for the delay in replying
FreeWolf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FreeWolf »

AndyMH wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:30 am What version of vuescan? I am running V9.5.72 (old dates back to 2017) on LM21.3 without issue. This was installed from deb not flatpak.
Oh thank you, I installed the older version and my problem is solved. Now it scans without any problem
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

That might be worth filing a bug report at hamrick. I think he is fairly proactive and likely to fix whatever is causing the slowdown.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

You can get a PDF manual from VueScan's website: https://www.hamrick.com/ Click on the Support tab at the top of the webpage to find the manual link, a list of possible problems and suggested fixes, and, at the bottom, you can click on a link to contact them directly for further help.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!

Return to “Printers & Scanners”