Driver Manager Query

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Synapse7527
Level 1
Level 1

Driver Manager Query

Post by Synapse7527 »

Hi All,

I'm planning to run Mint 21.3 (Cinnamon Edition) as a primary OS, but as things stand, I'm unable to download any drivers from Driver Manager. My GPU is a 4080 SUPER and the only supported drivers for this start from version 550. Those drivers are not currently available to download via Driver Manager (presumably the driver source for Mint is the same as Ubuntu?), so I'm looking at the graphics-drivers PPA as an alternative.

Just a couple of questions regarding this: is it advisable to install the latest driver via the PPA, particularly from a security/maintainence standpoint? Secondly, how often do new drivers get pushed by Canonical (if Mint does indeed use the same source)? Would it be better to just hold out for the "official" release?

Thank you!
seasons
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Driver Manager Query

Post by seasons »

The graphics-driver PPA is fine. It has been around for a long time and is run by a lot of the same Canonical employees who maintain the nvidia packages in the Ubuntu repos.
Synapse7527
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Synapse7527 »

That's good to know, thank you - I'll use those drivers for now.
Synapse7527
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Synapse7527 »

A random query relating to the above, hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

I have Secure Boot enabled (I dual-boot with Windows) and during the Linux Mint install, I had to go through the MOK enrolment process for installing the third-party media codecs. I didn't need to do anything like that (or any signing at all) for the NVIDIA drivers via the graphics-drivers PPA, so I'm curious to know why that's the case? I've read a lot about NVIDIA and Secure Boot being "annoying" on certain distros, with the need to sign the drivers manually.

It's great it's all working, just a thought that popped into my head and now I'm curious to know the technical reasoning behind this!

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”