Epson L3250 printer

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gbvoris
Level 4
Level 4

Epson L3250 printer

Post by gbvoris »

Pre-update, I was printing my with my Epson L3250. Today I tried for the first time in a few months and no joy. Stilll works fine from my iPhone; but I get cups error with this laptop.
I get " There was an error during the CUPS operation. 'server-error-internal-error'."
BillyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Epson L3250 printer

Post by BillyLinux »

Fairly recently (March 2024) CUPS received an update.
Before doing anything else, it can do no harm if you do a general update.

Code: Select all

sudo apt update

sudo apt full-upgrade
Your CUPS server must be running, as you get a CUPS server error.
Again though, you can do no harm if you stop

sudo service cups stop
and restart the CUPS server.

sudo service cups start
For whatever reason your CUPS configuration file may have become corrupted or simply wrong, and you may need to edit it either directly or via some other means. I therefore suggest you keep a copy before doing anything else, just so you can revert if needs be. Go to a command line prompt in terminal and type

sudo cp /etc/cups/cupsd.conf /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.old
You dont say whether your printer is connected via USB, Ethernet or WiFi. It would be good to know.

But regardless, I suggest you delete the printer. Then shutdown and switch everything off. Switch the printer back on first, and after a short while switch your linux device on. It should be auto detected, so test and report.

At a command prompt you can always type

lpstat -t
this provides data regarding the status of CUPS.
Last edited by BillyLinux on Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am just one of the volunteers for a UK charity https://abilitynet.org.uk/
who provides free IT support to older people and disabled people of any age, anywhere in the UK.
gbvoris
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gbvoris »

But regardless, I suggest you delete the printer. Then shutdown and switch everything off. Switch the printer back on first, and after a short while switch your printer on. It should be auto detected, so test and report.
When I remove the printer it auto detects and installs.

I'm trying to get it back to working wifi, since the update I haven't tried the usb
gbvoris
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gbvoris »

lpstat -t
scheduler is running
no system default destination
lpstat: No destinations added.
gbvoris
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gbvoris »

OK! For my info, what the heck did I just do that caused it to start working?
Assuming that the fix holds through the on off cycles today, I'll mark it solved. The only thing I see that could be the cause of a fix would be cycling cups.
BillyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BillyLinux »

I'm going to assume, everything is working as it should?

I have no idea from your responses what you did and in what order.

If you delete a printer from your device whilst the printer is still on then CUPS will auto detect it. In my experience I have found the best results by switching the printer off, then deleting the printer from the device and then shutting the device down. After a shortish time, switching the printer on first and then a little later the linux device kicks off the CUPS auto detect process and installs the printer.

The lpstat -t output is a little unusual insofar as it thinks there should be 4 destinations added and there is no printername reported.

I suggest you set a default printer, To do so carry out the following:-

With the printer switched on, at a command line type

lpstat -p | awk '{print $2}'
The output should be the printername

To make this printername as your default printer at a command line type

lpadmin -d printername        
Replace printername with whatever name was output from the previous lpstat -p command.

EDIT
Rather annoyingly I have just found this viewtopic.php?t=373094&start=40
I see you have been here before! It would have been nice of you to mention this at the outset of this post.
who provides free IT support to older people and disabled people of any age, anywhere in the UK.
gbvoris
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gbvoris »

Sorry about not saying anything about the previous problem. This is quite different, the printer is detected. Just for the sake of looking I've gone through the last problem again. I did find an interesting bit, as soon as I try to print I get an error. When I look at the "Printers - localhost" screen the printer icon gets a red "-". When I click the icon and go to "Policies" "Enabled" is not checked. restarting the laptop and printer will remove the red "-" and check the "Enabled"; until I try to print.
Driverless is gone again.
BillyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BillyLinux »

Lets start again slowly, step by step.
1. Switch the printer off.
2. On your device, delete the printer.
3. Perform update and full-upgrade from a terminal command prompt on your device.

sudo apt update

sudo apt full-upgrade
4. Perform a re-boot..
5. Establish whether any printers are still there - they should not be.
6. Shutdown linux device.
7. Switch on the printer - wait a few moments.
8. I'm still only assuming you want to print wirelessly, so remove any USB cable.
9. Ensure on the printer settings are set to wireless - ensure your network can detect the printer, if possible establish the IP address from the printer.
10. Boot up linux device.
11. Has LM autdetected printer? Does it work?

After every step above record what happened and report back here your recordings.

EDIT
Just as a marker only - you do not need to do anything at this stage - just the 11 steps above.
From your previous post it is unclear whether you ever installed your printer manually rather than rely on CUPS autodetect. If at some stage in the future and only should the CUPS method fail you may need to install manually by first downloading the 64 bit LM package at this link
https://support.epson.net/linux/Printer ... /escpr.php
and you should end up with epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.8.5-1_amd64.deb in your downloads folder.
This manual they provide will also be useful
https://download.ebz.epson.net/man/linux/escpr.html

Epson also produce a printer utility app package which could be useful - download 64 bit from here
https://support.epson.net/linux/Printer ... tility.php
and you will end up with epson-printer-utility_1.1.3-1_amd64.deb in your downloads folder
It also has its own manual
https://download.ebz.epson.net/man/linux/utility.html

The scanner drivers and manual are located from this page
https://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/0 ... d01f9531ca
gbvoris
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gbvoris »

Everything went great, until 11. Printer is detected and installed.
Does not print. If I can reduce the screenprint images enough I'll try to figure out how to post them.
gbvoris
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gbvoris »

Screenshots of what I get....
Attachments
signal-2024-03-24-162110_004.jpeg
signal-2024-03-24-162110_005.jpeg
signal-2024-03-24-162110_006.jpeg
gbvoris
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gbvoris »

I enable the printer, try to print and it's now not enabled.
Attachments
signal-2024-03-24-162110_002.jpeg
signal-2024-03-24-162110_003.jpeg
gbvoris
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gbvoris »

I tried to release the hold and it's the same, a quick try to print and goes back to hold.
All this time the i6 can print the laptop will see the printer; but not print.
gbvoris
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gbvoris »

The command "Driverless" returns the printer. Still nothing, not even noise.

greg@Dell-E5450:~$ driverless
ipps://EPSON%20L3250%20Series._ipps._tcp.local/
greg@Dell-E5450:~$
gbvoris
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gbvoris »

I found a Status showing "cups-pki-invalid" and EPSON_L3250 series may not be connected; but I still show "driverless
ipps://EPSON%20L3250%20Series._ipps._tcp.local/" so it is connected in some fashion.
BillyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BillyLinux »

OK, it was worth trying.
For whatever reasons the CUPS method is not fully working, so a manual install seems to be in order. It will take me some time to formulate a step-by-step method and would prefer to test the method on a gash device. In the meantime, I suggest you get back to a clean slate by
1. Switch the printer off.
2. On your device, delete the printer.
3. Perform update and full-upgrade from a terminal command prompt on your device.

sudo apt update

sudo apt full-upgrade
4. Perform a re-boot.
5. Establish whether any printers are still there - they should not be.

If you ever switch your printer back on, Linux Mint will no doubt once more try and reconnect so just ignore.
However, by carrying out the procedure above, any print queue will be emptied, so you could try to print a normal print - make sure first you enable the printer and make it the default printer. DO NOT print a test page - I have heard it said that printing a test page can muck things up.
BillyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BillyLinux »

After further research and a complete re-read of your previous post viewtopic.php?t=373094
I am finding it impossible to help further, other than simply do standard info gathering of your existing setup.
I strongly suggest you re-read your old post - after all you managed to get the printer working after following the steps provided in there.
From your old post I sensed there may have been an intermittent wifi connection to the printer and/or linux device. If that is so and still remains then adding a wireless printer and expecting it to work every time is bound to be problematic. You might be better off simply using it as a USB printer.
These are always a good read
https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedoc ... leshooting
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... nners.html

I'm sorry I cannot be of further help - but I will follow the thread just in case.

BTW - the idea of downloading drivers from Epson I gave up on simply because as far as I could tell the drivers were no different than that inside CUPS.
gbvoris
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gbvoris »

The problem seems to be in cups, I keep getting the error. Any way to reset cups?
I've been through the earlier go round twice, no help.
Printer is seen when I run "driverless"
BillyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BillyLinux »

gbvoris wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:12 pm OK! For my info, what the heck did I just do that caused it to start working?
Assuming that the fix holds through the on off cycles today, I'll mark it solved. The only thing I see that could be the cause of a fix would be cycling cups.
I just looked back (again) on your previous posts and noted the above one. So again, for no reason that you are able to identify it works.........and then it doesn't. As indicated a few times now I strongly suspect you have a faulty/intermittant wifi connection somewhere and it is this which needs attending to.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”