Running FSCK on a failed RAID volume

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KilroySmith
Level 1
Level 1

Running FSCK on a failed RAID volume

Post by KilroySmith »

OK, so this isn't strictly a Linux Mint question, but being as I run Mint on my main computer and would plan on using it as a USB boot drive to solve my problem, I thought I'd start here.

A long time ago, I built a FreeNAS system with 4 2TB disks in RAID. Well, one of them failed, as 10 year old hard disks tend to do. I can bring the volume online using mdadm, but roughly 75% of the files that were on the volume, have disappeared. I have a backup, but it's not as recent as I'd like, so I was wondering how I might see about recovering the missing files.

Yes, I recognize that fsck is my next stop; but I have a problem - mdadm appears to mount the volume, but fsck doesn't like to run on mounted volumes. How do I get mdadm to create an unmounted volume that I can run fsck on? And, is there a better way to do this?

Thanks for any help,
Frank
KilroySmith
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Running FSCK on a failed RAID volume

Post by KilroySmith »

OK, so I lied.
mdadm doesn't automatically mount the volume; at least this time it didn't.
So, I've got a device /dev/md/1.
I ran fsck:
sudo fsck -n -f /dev/md1
It toodled along for awhile, and finished up with no errors indicated. And yet, my files are still missing.

is this the end of the line? Anything more I can do here before I perform heinous experiments on the drives?

Return to “Storage”