Samba permissions Problems on one folder. Can't write

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mattbatt
Level 1
Level 1

Samba permissions Problems on one folder. Can't write

Post by mattbatt »

TL:DR No write permission on Windows 10 shared folder, I had it, I lost it, and I fixed it using Windows 10 "Computer Management". It was Windows' Fault.

It's my first post so about me. I've been using Linux recreationally since I built my first Freevo box back in 2004ish, on to LinHES MythtTV and Dual booting with Windows off and on. I'm not a noob but I'm not an expert. I recently Left Manjaro and have come to Mint (the reasons are long and stupid).
I had Samba working on my old Manjaro install on this same PC, I had to nuke that install (stupid reasons).
Due to Windows increasing Inshirtification I'm trying to go Linux full time.
I have had samba access to a Pictures folder on my Windows PC for a long time but somehow I lost it recently.
After days of troubleshooting I finally found that I needed to fix the permissions in Windows in an app that is hidden called "Computer Management" (compmgmt.msc) Under Shared folders double click on the folder, click on the "Share Permissions" tab at the top and add/remove users modify permissions for users of the folder. In my case the users weren't present
To be clear I had set and double checked the permissions for share and security when right clicking on the folder at least a dozen times and I even created a new user on my PC to give him permissions.
I spent hours searching the web and this never showed up as a possible solution. I only found it when I was Googling for how to remove the share, and re-share the folder.
I want to help the next person who might have this issue so I'm documenting my struggle.
RowlandP
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Samba permissions Problems on one folder. Can't write

Post by RowlandP »

OK, it isn't 'Samba' access to a Windows share, it is SMB access to a Windows share. Samba is the name chosen for the Linux program (the second name actually, the first one was already in use) that emulates the SMB protocol on Linux.

You shouldn't have to change the 'Share' tab, it should have contained either 'Everyone' or 'Authenticated Users', the tab that you need to change is the 'Security' tab (which would be better off being called 'NTFS Permissions'), you would also have to create the Linux users on the Windows computer or use Windows usernames when connecting from Linux.
FullScale4Me
Level 2
Level 2

Post by FullScale4Me »

A basic principle governs here: the ID logging into write to the share must have direct or group-granted rights for write to succeed. Both NTFS Permissions and Share rights can be set/verified in Windows File Explorer.

How one gets to the share is immaterial - SMB, NFS, CIFS, or even Pathworks. The most restrictive of the combination of rights (NTFS file system & sharing protocol) determines if you can write. So, they BOTH do matter!
Mike O'Toole
Dell OptiPlex 7050 i7-7700 with 32 Gb
HP Pavilion P2-1394 i3-2120T with 8 Gb
Dell Inspiron N7010 Intel Core i5 M 460 with 8 Gb
mattbatt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mattbatt »

RowlandP wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:09 pm OK, it isn't 'Samba' access to a Windows share, it is SMB access to a Windows share. Samba is the name chosen for the Linux program
Doh! I do know better my mistake and an important clarification.

Return to “Networking”