Why is Virginia setting my motherboard CMOS to UTC?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dullard du Jour
Level 5
Level 5

Why is Virginia setting my motherboard CMOS to UTC?

Post by Dullard du Jour »

See attached image. What is causing this and how do I stop it? :) Can I use another method to get timing from a local/US time server and avoid the UTC time?
sys-time-set.png
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Why is Virginia setting my motherboard CMOS to UTC?

Post by Pjotr »

Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Dullard du Jour
Level 5
Level 5

I am afraid that I have already set the RTC to 1 for local time zone.

When I used Zorin, I had the same issue and one of the mods talked me thru setting up NTP for a U.S. based time server, that fixed the MB issue and cleared up time stamps on files being off by UTC time frame.

What do I need to do to point Mint to a NTP time server such as time.nist.gov?
Dullard du Jour
Level 5
Level 5

I did change the

Code: Select all

/etc/systemd/timesyncd.conf
I uncommented NTP and added the time.nist.gov after ntp.

I then restarted the service with...

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl restart systemd-timesyncd
Journalctl shows that time is being derived from the ubuntu server. Crud, especially crud as if I can't get correct and accurate local time stamps for files, then I will be forced back to Windows.
Hawaiihemd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hawaiihemd »

I think if you had kept the defaults (rtc synced to UTC and rtc not set as local time zone) you would be golden.

Have you tried going back to those defaults?
Is this a dual boot system with windows?
Dullard du Jour
Level 5
Level 5

Problem is I don't live on UTC time and Mint for whatever reason is setting the RTC/CMOS to UTC time. Another issue is that .mpg4 files I pull from a FAT32 formatted microSDX memory card, when put into the EXT4 world, shows the UTC date. Of course that may be a different issue.

Still I need to have Mint see the actual time date on these files, not create a UTC date. What occurred to cause the MB to get UTC time imposed on it by Mint is another issue. I fixed this same issue in Zorin by using NTP and the time.nist.gov server, with that I had the correct local time on the motherboard and on files created on dashcams, etc.

I would rather buy an iMAC than go back to Windows, that is how important this is to me. :lol:
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

Dullard du Jour wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:42 pm Can I use another method to get timing from a local/US time server and avoid the UTC time?
Dullard du Jour wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:37 pm Problem is I don't live on UTC time and Mint for whatever reason is setting the RTC/CMOS to UTC time. Another issue is that .mpg4 files I pull from a FAT32 formatted microSDX memory card, when put into the EXT4 world, shows the UTC date. Of course that may be a different issue.
Living in US + keeping the RTC in local time = clock can be wrong when the computer startup the first time after DST starts / DST ends. I don't know how Windows handle it but the Linux side of it will be more fragile for sure as that is not the default configuration, thus less tested. Keeping the RTC in UTC time gives me peace of mind.

About your .mp4 file, I wonder if it is a problem of where/how do you get that .mp4 file into the microSD card in the first place. FAT32 store files in local time. The timestamps can go wrong if the accessing device before and the device after aren't sharing the same timezone.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the LinuxMint System & the Windows System, for that matter,
should both connect to internet.time after the machine has stabilised,
and the correct itself to the local.time that was stipulated at system setup.

if this does not occur, within an few minutes, after the machine is turned on,
- then there is an internet connection issue at fault -
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

Dullard du Jour wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:19 pm I am afraid that I have already set the RTC to 1 for local time zone.

When I used Zorin, I had the same issue and one of the mods talked me thru setting up NTP for a U.S. based time server, that fixed the MB issue and cleared up time stamps on files being off by UTC time frame.

What do I need to do to point Mint to a NTP time server such as time.nist.gov?
Which NTP time server one use is irrelevant to whether one get the RTC set to local time. You got some concepts seriously confused.
Hawaiihemd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hawaiihemd »

Dullard du Jour wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:37 pm Problem is I don't live on UTC time and Mint for whatever reason is setting the RTC/CMOS to UTC time. Another issue is that .mpg4 files I pull from a FAT32 formatted microSDX memory card, when put into the EXT4 world, shows the UTC date. Of course that may be a different issue.

Still I need to have Mint see the actual time date on these files, not create a UTC date. What occurred to cause the MB to get UTC time imposed on it by Mint is another issue. I fixed this same issue in Zorin by using NTP and the time.nist.gov server, with that I had the correct local time on the motherboard and on files created on dashcams, etc.

I would rather buy an iMAC than go back to Windows, that is how important this is to me. :lol:
I don't live in UTC either - I do live in Germany actually, which by the way also has daylight savings time - but I do not have your problems with timestamps being wrong.

And this is true despite of the fact that my rtc is kept in UTC as it is the default in Linux Mint!

That is why I said to try to restore the default settings, let the machine connect to whatever timeserver and see what happens.

Of course, correct timestamps are critical, I understand. But Mint is not your enemy in this regard!

Return to “Other topics”