VM Player, Bridge not working, TeamViewer keeps failing with NAT connection

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MintMagoo
Level 2
Level 2

VM Player, Bridge not working, TeamViewer keeps failing with NAT connection

Post by MintMagoo »

I really do not know what I'm doing. I've used VMPlayer for years, just point/click for the most part. I noticed my connection on debian and Mint VMs reset but it was livable. But for TeamViewer it was very painful, lock, freeze, drop, couldn't get anything done. I had TV on a 32 bit W10 and it works fine. But I am trying to get away from M$ if at all possible, I want debian. I did try VBox and it did work, but I really want VMPlayer.

I was stuck with NAT because I could not get Bridged connection to work.

My host is Mint Edge. I use a VPN.

Very frustrating, works out of the box on VMPlayer under windows, works out of the box on Linux with VBox.

Was unaware of the tool:

Code: Select all

vmware-netcfg
Just type it into a terminal and it brings up the VMPlayer Virtual Network Editor.

The External Connection for Type bridged was set to: Automatic

In the Bridged to: drop down box there were four choices, Automatic, my Ethernet, my WiFi, and my VPN.

I changed the selected option from Automatic to the WiFi connection.

Bridge issue solved, TeamViewer issue solved, resetting of connections in my other VM's solved..

Really easy to fix, I just didn't know it.
Last edited by MintMagoo on Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
MintMagoo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: VM Player, Bridge not working, TeamViewer keeps failing with NAT conection

Post by MintMagoo »

Oh, i'm really confused about bridged network. It seems like the VM's get assigned IP address number's from the routers DHCP IP range, but the router only shows the host's IP as connected. Does that mean the address is still assigned by the host and not the router? If so how does the host and router know what IP's are available for assignment. I can't seem to make the connection, no pun intended.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Re: VM Player, Bridge not working, TeamViewer keeps failing with NAT connection

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

When you use a bridged connection, your virtual guest appears as another computer, in the same way as your host. So, your Wi-Fi router normally attributes to the guest an IP address in the range of the ones used in your internal network (as an example, between 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.255).
Your host and your guest share the same IP address, as seen from internet, that is in fact the IP address given to your router by your ISP.

When you use a NAT connection, your guest uses your host connection. You have in fact two cascaded NATs, one from your router to your host, managed by the router, and one from your host to your guest, managed on your host by the virtual machine program (here VMware).

In both cases, in your guest, the network settings should be automatic (automatic gateway, automatic DNS, DHCP enabled...); this is normally managed by VMware, except if you have done some manual settings in your guest network.

Regards,

MN
Level 2

Post by MintMagoo »

When you use a bridged connection, your virtual guest appears as another computer, in the same way as your host. So, your Wi-Fi router normally attributes to the guest an IP address in the range of the ones used in your internal network (as an example, between 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.255).
I'm a little dense, this is what I don't understand.

My host has an IP address of: 192.168.1.121/24

On my router I have that and 3 other physical devices I can see assigned:

192.168.1.111/24
192.168.1.157/24
192.168.1.158/24

The IP addresses assigned to 2 of my guests are (as displayed by ip addr):

192.168.1.163/24
192.168.1.165/24

Since i can't see them assigned (the bridged VM's) on the router I get confused, since 192.168.1.163 and 192.168.1.164 do not appear to be assigned on the router and those addresses are within the DHCP range I get lost on whats going on. Since they are bridged connections, shouldn't i see those address assigned on the router?
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

Since your virtual guests have IP addresses in the range of the ones given by your router, your router DID assign IP addresses to them.

You can try to ping them from your host.

But your virtual guest do share the same hardware as your host, and the same connection (as an example, Wi-Fi peripheral, called wlp3s0 on my computer). They can't appear as extra equipments on your router. Just think that your computer has three IP addresses, one for your "physical" host and two for your "virtual" guests.

Regards,

MN
Level 2

Post by MintMagoo »

Ok thanks. Yeah I tried pinging from a different computer connected to the WiFi. I assumed that they were assigned by the WiFi, but I really hate assuming and wanted to be sure there was not something I did not understand.

Return to “Virtual Machines”