pecularities when changing password with TPM forcing you to input the password twice

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
taltamir
Level 2
Level 2

pecularities when changing password with TPM forcing you to input the password twice

Post by taltamir »

I had changed my password in linux mint v21.3 and I noticed a few weird things that I thought I would share.

1. you need to restart the system after changing your password.
I kept on trying different methods, being weirded out how it applies to some things and not others. Turns out I needed to restart the system for it to fully propagate.

2. after changing both the system password and the keyring password to the same new password, I noticed that when I login it immediately showed me a popup asking me for the keyring password.
Which was not supposed to happen. as it automatically uses the password you input when logging in to the system.
all the documentation I found said the solution is to make sure the two passwords are the same and that it should automatically work as long as the passwords are the same. but it was not working.

While trying to fix it I coincidentally noticed that for some reason TPM was enabled on my system.
I disabled it because I dislike TPM, and surprisingly this solved the problem!
After TPM was disabled in the bios, mint stopped asking me to unlock the keyring after login.
instead automatically unlocking the default keyring with the same password I type to login as a user.

I just though I would share this bit of info with everyone.
Last edited by SMG on Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Desktop:Cinnamon to Software & Applications because logging into to Linux Mint is not desktop specfiic.

Return to “Software & Applications”