Android Emulator for app [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gabriele
Level 1
Level 1

Android Emulator for app [SOLVED]

Post by Gabriele »

Let me say I'm new in app development: i know 1: [HTML,CSS,Javascript, php] e 2:Java.

I would like to develop from the existing code of a site in (1) an app. I downloaded android studio in kotlin but documentation of android and google is very confusing and therefore i want to move to another ide.

But i could not find an ide with an emulator like android studio neither documentation.

Can you suggest an emulator on a proper ide (also if I have to pay) with a good docuementation.

I have Visual Studio code put i could not find a proper emulator on extension.
Last edited by Gabriele on Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Android Emulator for app

Post by spamegg »

I'm afraid Android Studio is by far the best IDE for that.
Other ones don't even come close.
So you'll have to spend some time to learn it properly.
You can't just Google it and get by.

There are courses here, from Android itself:
https://developer.android.com/courses
You have to take the time and finish some of these courses.
(Note that some of the courses use Kotlin, not Java. Scroll down for Java.)

This is a good book, and it's recent enough (4 years old):
https://www.amazon.com/Learn-Android-St ... 08KNZ7X41/
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dave0808 »

There is no real alternative. It used to be possible to use Eclipse, but Google switched their focus to what is now Android Studio and support for Eclipse has long disappeared.

In theory, it would be possible to use another IDE, but it would need to understand Java or Kotlin, and be able to hook into the Android SDK. Then to run Virtual Devices and push your app for testing, you would have to use the command line - that is going to be even more confusing than using the IDE. But interactive debugging would be tricky if not impossible.

The information published by Google about installing Android Studio on Linux works well. It's going to be confusing at first, but work your way through the tutorials and you'll soon get into it.

Finally, the most recent version of Android Studio has a newer "UI mode", which moves many of the options out of the way so there is less clutter on the menus / toolbars. It's probably worth enabling this when you're starting in order to save from option overload.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

Agreed with everything Dave said!
Gabriele
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gabriele »

I read somewhere that react and python are very good alternative to make web applications, i have few line code in php. May be with the use of framework.

Seems to me python the best choice because is cross-platform and back-end language so I suppose is securest. Does exist also good emulator?

Thanks
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dave0808 »

It wasn't clear (to me) that you wanted to develop a web application. For sure it's possible to write an Android app that delivers the same functionality as a web application, just the delivery mechanism is different.

You can, of course, use React, which is just a javascript library (and just to clarify, java and javascript are not related).

If you go with Python, you'll probably want to use the Django framework, though I've no experience with this so cannot comment further.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Android Emulator for app [SOLVED]

Post by spamegg »

Web applications and Android applications are very different.
Android is a different hardware platform, so the app has to be compiled specially for it.
React Native is capable of doing Android apps. But it's only for the front-end.
I am not aware of any Python frameworks that are Android-capable.
(And Django is only for the back-end.)
I remember watching a Python Foundation talk on Youtube a few years ago,
saying that Python's absence from mobile devices is a major weakness of the language.

Return to “Software & Applications”