Considering recommending a Linux laptop, anyone have experience with Mint on a Starlab starfighter?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Green man
Level 2
Level 2

Considering recommending a Linux laptop, anyone have experience with Mint on a Starlab starfighter?

Post by Green man »

Hi, I know someone who's going to need a relatively future proof laptop soon. They're not going to do anything demanding on it, but they definitely would wanted to be fast and stay fast. Anyone have experience with Linux Mint on the starlabs starfighter? How seamless is that experience? The person I'm thinking of is relatively tech savvy, but would lack the patience and desire for tinkering.

Is an option like that worth considering, or are they just going to be better off with a Windows laptop? I don't necessarily want to push a Linux agenda, but with Mint and MX both really bringing their A-game, and the Windows user experience getting progressively worse/more questionable over time, wondering if Mint on the star labs starfighter might be a better fit.
Raycoupe
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Considering recommending a Linux laptop, anyone have experience with Mint on a Starlab starfighter?

Post by Raycoupe »

Green man wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:38 pm Hi, I know someone who's going to need a relatively future proof laptop soon. They're not going to do anything demanding on it, but they definitely would wanted to be fast and stay fast. Anyone have experience with Linux Mint on the starlabs starfighter? How seamless is that experience? The person I'm thinking of is relatively tech savvy, but would lack the patience and desire for tinkering.

Is an option like that worth considering, or are they just going to be better off with a Windows laptop? I don't necessarily want to push a Linux agenda, but with Mint and MX both really bringing their A-game, and the Windows user experience getting progressively worse/more questionable over time, wondering if Mint on the star labs starfighter might be a better fit.
That laptop comes with both amd and intel processor and thus different graphics as well. So no way of telling what hardware you will select.
Problems, if occur, usually are added extra's like rgb backlight on the keyboard or extra functions on touch pads.

But Linux Mint does run fine on most computers. With this new hardware you should use the iso LM21 Edge, which supports newer hardware like this.
I run a 13th gen I9 without problems, besides backlight on my keyboard and one touch pad function.

And you can keep windows, because if you want to update the UEFI/Bios, most manufacturers will only provide a windows executable.
For gaming, especially with extra GPU, some games will only run well on Windows.

Setting up dual boot is best on two seperate drives, but can be installed on one drive. With only one drive, windows will overwrite boot loader on major updates, so you will have know how to repair linux boot.

It all depends what you want to use it for.
Advantages of Linux, things stay the same, no sudden changes with updates, forcing you to change the way you work or endlessly trying to persuade you to use windows options or new gimmicks.
Advantage of Windows, people can ask anybody in their neighborhood for help, linux know how is harder to find locally.
Hardware, operating systems, software and networking are are nothing else than necessary, cumbersome and easily replaceable evils to store and provide data. Triple backup your data at least, twice on-site, and another copy off-site.

Return to “Beginner Questions”